Sit Strings

gripper

HI!!

I just strung up my first self-built guitar :D with one of the sets of SIT strings I got talked into by a local music store. 46 to 10 guage nickels. You can take the winding on the low E string and move it up and down the neck about .125" at the 12th fret. Put two strings from different sets on and they were both the same. Intonation was really hard to set because of the constant crawling up and down on the strobe tuner from that string. Really doesn't sound all that bad plugged in but I wonder if they might have left the "H" out of their name. :D Are these just bad strings alltogether or could I have got a couple of bad sets? I have never seen strings with loose outer windings before.

crafty, you nailed where I got them but they cost me more then a dollar. I am going to take all four sets back monday because their wound strings can't take an hour of playing. My uncle gave me a set of DeAddarios and they are WAY better. Thanks everybody. Godin, I am gonna trade those SITs for Boomers when I get to the GC store Monday. If for nothing else, the name RULES! Again, thanks to all. :D

Sorry, dude. Stick with the good brands like GHS, DR, D'Addario, Dean Markley, or Ernie Ball. I'm on kind of a DR kick right now, but I've had good luck with GHS and Ernie Ball. I usually pay only $3 a set for quality strings.

Yeah, the new GC here was pimping their "Buy two sets, get ten free" deal with those SIT strings a couple weeks ago at their grand opening. Not a great deal at $19. I wouldn't put those strings on any guitar, even a $50 Music-Yo Kramer.

I brought my Jackson in with a set of those SITs on it Tuesday and the guys were being real sarcastic about it. I figured out that they were making fun of the guy that sold me the strings. Long story short, I get 4 sets of anything THEY have for free. SWEET!! Problem is they onlyt have DR and Boomers. When I said I owed a set to my uncle that were DiAddarios, they said they don't carry them and they don't have anything like them. Nice folk. Trying the Boomers tonight at the Legion hall steak-night. Don't really care care how they work because the steaks are free and good! They could use one of those chicken-wire fences from the Blues Brothers, however. I hate getting beer on my Genz head if it isn't mine! :D Hey, wats yur favorite steak sauce? So many I haven't even heard of.

Oh, I am sorry, they had Deans but not in the right guage. Those might be my next choice. GC needs a reality-check when it comes to what people want. They are having a show next week with some guy playing BC Rich factory custom guitars and I want to see what strings HE uses, even though it will probably be all-metal. Nothing wrong with metal: they need strings too!

Edited by gripper

heh, iI just changed for ernie ball slinky 11s (the bigger they do) and I got to say the sound ROCKS... It's even worth resetting that damned floyd rose up again!

I alyways think it funny that I my strings get bigger and bigger while everyone else I know tries to get smallest they can get (like 8... sounds bad!)

I gotta try flatwound strings though!

And about elixirs: They rock, but I really had trouble bending strings on my acoustic with them (they slip a LOT)

Pr3Va1L - flatwounds are great! 11's are about the smallest you can ever find 'em... normal is 13-14. They're really normally used on jazz archtop sorts of guitars, but I put some on my HSS strat :D. (D'Addario Chromes, like I mentioned earlier Chromes).

EDIT: Heh... D'Addario has 10-13's... but they call the 13's "medium."

Edited by jnewman