Router Bits

possum1284

I dont think the adage "you get what you pay for" applies any better than to buying bits. Those bits will probably work for a while but I guarentee that they will wear out sooner than you would like. Routerbits.com is an excellent source for bits, they sell whiteside bits which are the best I have used by far. For the $5 extra (or whatever) you will pay for a top quality bit you will get much beeter durability and quality of cuts. Don't skimp on bits man.

Its hard to say if they are the same brand, if thats what you're asking. I would assume that the whiteside bits are just as good if not better than the stewmac ones, only b/c I dont know where they come from. You want THESE here. I have # 3002 and it has been flawless thus far. I would dare to say that that bit is almost essential. The only drawback is its 1/2" diameter which means you cant rout corners less than 1/4" radius, but I have never needed to do anything less so it fits me fine. Where ever you get one, just dont go cheap. I cant stress that enough.

Craftsman bits are okay if you're somewhere that you can't find a top shelf bit and have to have it now.

I've used them when I'm doing an install in the boondocks and need the bit that I didn't think I could conceivably need and left at the shop.

They have always done an acceptable job and are priced appropriately.

This same review goes for darn near anything in the Sears tool section.

Get the stew mac ones! You get what you pay for! If you can get a set of carbide tipped ones for the price that stew sell them, get 'em! They are not cheap! I broke a craftsman and burned another in ONE guitar!!! The first Stew 1/2" bit that I bought I have used in 5 guitars and still cutts like warm knive on butter!

if you google freud router bits you'll find other sources for them that are a bit cheaper than stewmac. don't get me wrong..i use stewmac when i need to but they are a bit pricey on some things and router bits is one of them.

I agree that the Whiteside bits are top notch, but you have to remember that if you ask to much of the bit (ie taking too much wood off in a pass) ANY bit will wear down. Most people I have seen comment on them agree that the Stewmac bits are top quality. I only use the Whiteside bits cause' theyre a bit cheaper. Like someone else said, STewmac is an awesome source for stuff, but some of the more common items in their catolog can be found much cheaper elsewhere.

One router bit that you're not going to find elsewhere(well, maybe the bit...but not the bearing set) is stewmac's binding router bit/bearing set. It's well worth the money IMHO.

The binding bit that LMI sells is superior to the Stew-Mac....I have both and since I puchased the LMI bit, the Stew-Mac bit doesn't see daylight.

BTW.....Stew-Mac bits are not top notch......CMT, Jesada, Amana and others all make better bits.

LMI sells a far more expansive range of bearings in their router bit set, but they're predictably a whole lot more expensive as well. Click here for their main set, and there's an additional set of bearings under 'binding tools' to add even more combos.

Alternately, you can be like me, and get this set from Tracy Leveque, who's started up a newish company, mostly featuring jigs for acoustic guitar builders. The set's quite a bit cheaper than LMI's, and I'm very pleased with the quality. Aquiring something this pricey only really makes sense if you bind a lot of guitars, and use a lot of different purfling/trim combos. I got mine for my acoustics, not my electrics.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only used a router long enough to make 2 bodies, but so far I've been very happy with CMT, Whiteside and Bosch. The Stewmac binding and pickguard bits are nice too. The only one I've been unhappy with was a Craftsman roundover bit I usd on my last tele. The "sealed" bearing spit oil all along the edge of a sweet one-piece body. I was so focused on keeping the router steady and I didn't notice until I was done. Almost all my bits have guide bearings and none of them did that. I later noticed the package said, "made in China". I got a refund and I'll never buy another Chinese bit.

• 3 weeks later...