Guitar Design I Came Up With

aidlook

The carving near the bottom is quite elegant, but the horns and waist could use some work. As duo said, the waist could be staggered (offset), and I think the horns could be a bit less symmetrical.. perhaps the lower one should be bigger? Just a thought.. play around with it until YOU like it the most. Also, as you asked if anything needed to be changed for it to play well, that usually depends on the neck, nut, and bridge configurations, rather than shape, unless you're talking about how it would balance or play sitting down. In either case I think it would perform rather well. Good job.

The carving near the bottom is quite elegant, but the horns and waist could use some work.  As duo said, the waist could be staggered (offset), and I think the horns could be a bit less symmetrical.. perhaps the lower one should be bigger?  Just a thought.. play around with it until YOU like it the most.  Also, as you asked if anything needed to be changed for it to play well, that usually depends on the neck, nut, and bridge configurations, rather than shape, unless you're talking about how it would balance or play sitting down.  In either case I think it would perform rather well.  Good job.

When I started to design it the first thing I wanted was symmetrical horns and waist, so I don't think I'll change that. The neck dimensions are the ones of a jem neck so I suppose that it would play well. I think the body is quite thin at the moment. Are any specific woods good if you want to make a thinner body?

Check out the 'Fernandes Ravelle' for some ideas for sharpening up that contour on the lower bout. I think your design would look better with Les Paul Double Cut style horns and i think you need to play with the curves at the waist, they look just a little too round tomy eyes.

Its a cool idea so far, i just think it needs a bit more work to make the curves flow better.

Rule No. 1: Make yourself happy.

One thing I agree with on a couple of comments - the body of the guitar is fairly symetric, so that symetry ought to be reflected in the headstock as well. Looks to me that the top curve from away from the nut is a less severe than the lower curve going away from the nut, so it just doesn't jibe with my senese of gestalt. Know what I mean, Vern?

Grim

Looks cool!  Nice work in Solid Works (right?).  I envy your ability, I tried and tried to creat a neck but didn't have much luck.

Yep Solid Works...I'm pretty much self thaught..

Was a long time ago since i did the neck..but I just got the dimensions of the JEM neck from the Ibanez website...

One thing I agree with on a couple of comments - the body of the guitar is fairly symetric, so that symetry ought to be reflected in the headstock as well. Looks to me that the top curve from away from the nut is a less severe than the lower curve going away from the nut, so it just doesn't jibe with my senese of gestalt. Know what I mean, Vern?

Yep...the headstock is just something from another design I threw on there so it looked complete...definately gonna change that....good pointers though... Thanx