Need A Good Refretter

If you're being really really cheap the tools required are...

One set of cutters

A plastic faced hammer

A fine file glued to a block

A good straight edge

A small triangular needle file with ground off "safe" corners

A file glued into a block at 35 degrees (theres a tutorial for this on the main site)

Thats what?...£25 worth of tools.

Still, if you dont feel comfortable send it to a pro, and as for people who ask sinical questions like the one above, ignore them - what's done is done (no offence meant)

Edited by jammy

why don't you make a few calls around chattanooga and see if you can find someone local..if not email me and i'll give you my shop address and will be happy to do it for you.

UncleJ: Thanx, I'll do some more research and weigh my options (cost of tools, local guys, etc)

Jammy: I've learned to have thick skin. I didn't take offense whatsoever :D Thankx for defending me :D

All: I had my neck in a local shop for over 18 months (literally) and I finally got tired of the excuses.

Who has the best deal on decent tools? Stew-Mac seems to be pricey but from past experience, they are quality.

www.justrefrets.com

Few people are going to be able to do you justice now that the frets are out. Soapbarstrat is right. Anyone can check your board for level and reinstall frets at this point, but they're at a handicap. You're bound to find someone who says they'll put frets in and level/crown them for a cheap price, you just have to decide what you want to do.

Had a recent job where the guy wanted to "be helpful" and pull the frets himself. I told him not to do that, and luckily he listened. But he also wanted a plastic to shell inlay conversion, which I didn't assume he would "help" with. I get the neck and every plastic inlay has an off-center hole drilled through it (to "help" me), but on some, *his* hole was right next to the original brad pilot hole, and guess which hole my drill bit wanted to follow then ? Yeah, I really got some good "help" on that one.

I think it's especially important on a website like this one to make it known that "half way" repairs should be avoided by thinking more about what's involved in the first place. In other words, websites like this can give the impression that it's pefectly fine to just dive into mods and repairs, and not having to know the details of what's involved until you are right there at that point.

If you want to spend a little more (but not break the bank) the new Stew-Mac Jaws 2 fret press works well and is easy to use.

My son and I refretted his Epi LP with it last weekend and it turned out pretty nice - my first go at a refret. Last night I pressed the frets in my new neck and they turned out just about flawless. :D

Hope it goes well for you, whatever way you decide to go.

Mike

If you're being really really cheap the tools required are...

One set of cutters

A plastic faced hammer

A fine file glued to a block

A good straight edge

A small triangular needle file with ground off "safe" corners

A file glued into a block at 35 degrees (theres a  tutorial for this on the main site)

Thats what?...£25 worth of tools.

Just don't get them from StewMac, or ANY online guitar place if you want to be cheap about it. A local hardware store should have most of that, though a GOOD straight edge will be probably £25 alone.

Most steel rulers are very staight, and will cost you less. I'e done coparising tests with my straight edge, and all of my steel rulers is good enought for using as straight edges.