Mikhail's Project

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally... :D

glossside.jpg

Today (6 weeks after the final lacquer coat) I sanded with 800 FreCut (dry), then wet sanded with 1000/1200/1500/2000 Unigrit. I buffed it out with Stewmac fine compound, using my random-orbit sander with a Meguiar's foam pad. I'll do the swirl remover later, once the neck is buffed out.

front back reflection

Elation was soon tempered, though, when I discovered a nasty lacquer split at the slot for the 5-way... I was being so vigilant about keeping the bridge stud and string-through holes dry, I completely forgot about that slot. Arggghhh. :D Hopefully it's something I can repair later.

Finally... :D

glossside.jpg

Today (6 weeks after the final lacquer coat) I sanded with 800 FreCut (dry), then wet sanded with 1000/1200/1500/2000 Unigrit. I buffed it out with Stewmac fine compound, using my random-orbit sander with a Meguiar's foam pad. I'll do the swirl remover later, once the neck is buffed out.

front back reflection

Elation was soon tempered, though, when I discovered a nasty lacquer split at the slot for the 5-way... I was being so vigilant about keeping the bridge stud and string-through holes dry, I completely forgot about that slot. Arggghhh. :D Hopefully it's something I can repair later.

:DB):D

Looks great!

dunno about that crack though...you might have to strip it down to bare wood and start again :D

:DB):D

Looks great!

dunno about that crack though...you might have to strip it down to bare wood and start again :D

that's mean..

I can't really tell through the pictures, but for the looks of it, it was a success on most part.

Good luck on the touchups! Keep up the good work!

Awesome! Looks great, nice and shiny. B)

The only thing that bothers me is this:

http://home.comcast.net/~going2spain/mikha...glossfront2.jpg

Where the light is in the lower treble bout I can still see sanding scratches :D Maybe i'm just a perfectionist but that would bug me to no end. If you're satisfied with it, then I am too (minus the sanding scracthes. :D )

Looks killer man!!

Chris

A pox on your house! :D:D

I did a more thorough buff out with the fine compound last night - kicked up the speed on the RO sander a couple of notches, and added time and pressure. After that I used the swirl remover on a foam finishing pad, turning the speed up a little more. I think I got just about all the sanding scratches out... again, it was late, so I'll reinspect tonight. I also got the neck sanded and buffed out (by hand B) ). B)

swirlsideprofile.jpg

Some more pics: neck back back closeup top top closeup end view side

You need to change the bulb in one of the lamps on your ceiling light :D

So you noticed that, eh? Could you also tell that one of the lamp sockets droops a little lower than the others? :D :D

The neck fits the pocket now, and I cleaned the excess lacquer out of the tuner holes. I leveled, re-crowned and polished the frets (that MicroMesh stuff is great) last night. It took a little more leveling than I expected, but that's another nice thing about those gi-normous 6100 frets... you can take a lot off and still have plenty of fret height.

Light at the end of the tunnel... B)

Mike

I took this bad boy (although my wife sometimes refers to it as "the other woman" :D ) out for its public debut yesterday... I wired it up temporarily and didn't have the bridge ground in yet, so it was a bit noisy. But it sounds really, really nice and sustains for days. :D

There are a few things left to finish up - I'll post another pic when it's done.

Mike

So my bass luthier friend (a regular at talkbass.com) chastised me for giving him descriptions without pics... :D

oldnew2.jpg

Obviously not quite finished yet... I just received the toggle switch, and I need to do the shielding and permanent wiring, plus a few lacquer touchups.

I decided to ditch the rosewood p/u rings, as I don't think they'll feature well against the darker tortoise shell. I'll stick with the traditional Gibson/PRS cream... my stewmac order should arrive in a few days.

Mike

:D Looks great! Everything about it looks top notch. Is it just me or does it look there is a knob or two missing though, are you leaving it like that?

Is it just me or does it look there is a knob or two missing though, are you leaving it like that?

An LP-style toggle switch (for switching between magnetics/both/piezo) will fill that empty position. There's a gold mini-toggle (coil split) between the volume knobs, hard to see in that pic.

I'm toying with the idea of a 5-position rotary switch to give me a parallel humbucker option. But I'll stick with the current setup for awhile to see how I like it. The humbuckers sound so good, I might not use the single-coil modes that much.