Refinishing Prs Custom 24

corsa2

Hi guys!! i am new here and i would appreciate some help with my PRS project.Well as you can see i decided to refinish and change the freatboard on my CUSTOM 24..i dont know if this is a bad idea..It doesnt matter any more because i 've already began!!

Well the only problem is that the flame maple top is kinda destroyed....I made some mistakes in sanding proccess..this is the only thing that i got sad for...

well now i thing that the only option that is left is the opaque color...staining would not look that good...

well any ideas?? it doesnt matter how crazy your ideas are! just say it!! pics would be very helpfull!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/corsa2/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/corsa2/IMG_0006.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/corsa2/IMG_0007.jpg

Photos are too Large

Edited by Scott Rosenberger

Judging by that second pic you sanded it with some sort of power disk sander, you can see some obvious low spots where the disk dug in around the drop (unless the primer is still wet in those areas,) if not however and they are low spots they will have to be leveled before it will look good with any kind of glossy finish on it. But you may still can pull off a darker sunburst just light enough for some grain to show.

Good luck :D

Edited by scottyd

since you've covered the top i'd find someone to do a cool graphic PRS..maybe something unique and never seen on a PRS

what did you do as far as inlays on the new board { are they still birds ?? } maybe something to tie in with them

or someone recently re did their PRS to the old very valuable "Metal" model

it not an original but i think it turned out pretty cool..( you could do any color you want)

http://www.prsforums.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=metal+model

i always thought a charvel Hot Rod flame job would look wild on a PRS

maybe some flip flop flames paint??

Edited by MOJO

:DB):DB)

I think you should have sold the PRS and used the money to purchase a guitar that is worth being ruined.

I'm sorry, but using a professional-quality instrument as a guinea pig for your first try at refinishing a guitar is, in my humble opinion, just plain wasteful. I can see someone who's practiced on a lot beaters giving it a shot, but you just completely destroyed an investment-grade instrument.

Not cool :D

It is never too late to join the sawdust back onto the guitar like a collage, maybe that will restore the finish to its original state. HAHA ..Jokin

Like said already, unless ur some rich ass who can afford PRS's as a dime or if you stole it and have no musical background to guitars, then....I tryly believe that you have gone to a position where nothing can be done but move on.

But it is never too late to give it to someone like LGM or other many custom artists out there to finish off what you started and get your money back...with a better finish that is

Hi guys!! i am new here and i would appreciate some help with my PRS project.Well as you can see i decided to refinish and change the freatboard on my CUSTOM 24..i dont know if this is a bad idea..It doesnt matter any more because i 've already began!!

Well the only problem is that the flame maple top is kinda destroyed....I made some mistakes in sanding proccess..this is the only thing that i got sad for...

well now i thing that the only option that is left is the opaque color...staining would not look that good...

well any ideas?? it doesnt matter how crazy your ideas are! just say it!! pics would be very helpfull!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/corsa2/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/corsa2/IMG_0006.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/corsa2/IMG_0007.jpg

Photos are too Large

Send me a PM with the price your willing to sell it for. As it is now, it is a mess which will be extremely difficult to fix.

How exactly did the flamed maple get destroyed? Unless you sanded through the entire maple cap(which is almost an inch thick) you should be fine. Of course, maybe you want it to be an opaque color... :D

well i sanded it with a power sander and now there are several spots that even if i try to sand them by hand would not become as the original was..i mean i oversanded some areas and if i sand them more then i will hit the mahogany.

How exactly did the flamed maple get destroyed? Unless you sanded through the entire maple cap(which is almost an inch thick) you should be fine. Of course, maybe you want it to be an opaque color... B)

well i sanded it with a power sander and now there are several spots that even if i try to sand them by hand would not become as the original was..i mean i oversanded some areas and if i sand them more then i will hit the mahogany.

What a waste. I don't think that guitar will come out well. You obviously don't have the skill set to work on guitars. The top looks runined, even for a solid color. :D

My advice, sell it to Rhoads56 (he suggested you sell it to him in one of the posts in this thread).

Why would anyone do that to a high quality guitar is beyond me. You (or your parents) must have a lot of money to waste.

Personally, if it was my guitar, I'd remove the top and put a new one on. :D

:D

Edited by guitar2005

The only reason someone would do this if the guitar was stolen... I hope thats not the case.

Bad choice on first test. SEarch ebay for project guitar can find 100's of them out there. no value at all left.... Even if the gutiar was trashed it probably was worth more beat up than the state its in now.

well thats very cool!! its the best idea i ve heard 'till now... The old metal model is very cool!! and the flip flop flames are cool too!!! well i am gonna see what am gonna do with the top and then i ll try to find someone to do the metal model paint job

Seriously...... Don't touch that guitar any more. Send it to a luthier/spray artist to do it for you. The people on this site all love guitars, and from what you've done to that guitar, I'm amazed you haven't got flamed much more already. You seem a tad out of your depth - there comes a point when you need to realise that you may need other people's hands-on help.

Guys the guitar IS NOT STOLEN!!! it was just a stupid thing but hey its not a human!!its a guitar and from what i ve seen with hard work yes it can come back to its original state and maybe better...!!

And for those who thing that i dont have skills or i do not love guitar and all that i have to say that i L-O-V-E guitars and i am much more skilled now than i was a year ago when i did this on the PRS!!

just check my Les Paul project and you will get the idea!!

As i agree with the above, i think u should do something not typical of Prs finishes. Such as a swirl or a fabric finish.

Duff beer man your ideas also rock!!! a swirl PRS or even a fabric finish would look very good!!thanks for your ideas man!

i dont think the guitar is trashed, it just needs a lot of work you will have to fill in the low spots to get them back level just so its worthy of a solid color, and dont let some of these guys get to you, even if it is PRS its YOUR prs so do with it what you will. But i would consider taking it to a pro for the repair.

Edited by scottyd

How exactly did the flamed maple get destroyed? Unless you sanded through the entire maple cap(which is almost an inch thick) you should be fine. Of course, maybe you want it to be an opaque color... B)

What a waste. I don't think that guitar will come out well. You obviously don't have the skill set to work on guitars. The top looks runined, even for a solid color. :D

My advice, sell it to Rhoads56 (he suggested you sell it to him in one of the posts in this thread).

Why would anyone do that to a high quality guitar is beyond me. You (or your parents) must have a lot of money to waste.

Personally, if it was my guitar, I'd remove the top and put a new one on. :D

:D

Well this is what i am going to do!!i am going to remove this top and i will make a new one!!and if i succed i will go for a cool graphic paint job!!

i dont think the guitar is trashed, it just needs a lot of work you will have to fill in the low spots to get them back level just so its worthy of a solid color, and dont let some of these guys get to you, even if it is PRS its YOUR prs so do with it what you will. But i would consider taking it to a pro for the repair.

Now you are 10000% right Scottyd!!!!this is what i believe!!its my guitar i cant do whatever i want with it!!it was stupid doing that but its my problem and i ve decided to work hard and do my PRS look even better than it was and make some of the big mouth folks shut it!!

thanks for the support man!!

• 2 weeks later...

well crafty you are right!it was a mistake but it belongs in the past...now i ll try to fix it..if i am not able to fix it i 'll deal with ormsby it we will find a solution.

If you couldn't simply sand and prep a body for finish, what makes you think you have the skill to repair it? What a sad, sad waste of a fine guitar.