Straightedge - What Do You Think?

Hydrogeoman

I am trying to save $$ on a precision straightedge for fretwork and saw this aluminum one.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=50074

Currently, I am shopping for a good 24" straightedge. My questions are these:

1) Would the wide surface of this straightedge be a hinderance when gauging fret height variations?

2) Or should I just go with an expensive beveled steel straightedge (like Stewmac's).

Thanks for any wisdom you can send my way.

I am trying to save $$ on a precision straightedge for fretwork and saw this aluminum one.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=50074

Currently, I am shopping for a good 24" straightedge. My questions are these:

1) Would the wide surface of this straightedge be a hinderance when gauging fret height variations?

2) Or should I just go with an expensive beveled steel straightedge (like Stewmac's).

Thanks for any wisdom you can send my way.

24" is a little long. A beveled straight edge just makes it easier to use. Any kind of ground straight edge will work. 18" would be the ideal length.

You may find times when both are needed. However if you need to verify if a neck is straight the SM version will do fine.

I have a StewMac straight edge. When comparing my steel rulers to that I found out that the StewMac straight edge was a complete waste of money. My steel rulers, even the cheapo ones, were all perfectly straight.

I have a StewMac straight edge. When comparing my steel rulers to that I found out that the StewMac straight edge was a complete waste of money. My steel rulers, even the cheapo ones, were all perfectly straight.

Thanks, I was wondering if a less expensive steel straightedge from a drafting supply store would be adequate. I think I will be going that route - until I hit the lottery and can afford a Starrett. :D

I've got a set of straight edge rulers from Stew Mac, and the beveled edge help you get precise. You can buy the almost same straight edge, here for a much better price. I have bought an 18" one from them, and I compared it to the Stew Mac one, and if it's not the exact same ruler, it fooled me. It's even stainless steel. Just wanted to pass on this link. Good luck.

I've got a set of straight edge rulers from Stew Mac, and the beveled edge help you get precise. You can buy the almost same straight edge, here for a much better price. I have bought an 18" one from them, and I compared it to the Stew Mac one, and if it's not the exact same ruler, it fooled me. It's even stainless steel. Just wanted to pass on this link. Good luck.

So you mean that cheap one checks out dead flat against the Stew-Mac straight-edge ? I mean I'm tempted to buy one then, but I'm so picky about stuff like that, it makes me sick.

If my straight-edge was *aluminum* it would be total trash by now. I think it's too soft for a guitar repair shop. That steel one looks quite nice, but the weight could be a problem (when checking a guitar neck).

I currently have the 1101-003 SE-24 Straight Edge from here :

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/ok_default.html

And the Stew-Mac notched SE

And an old 12" machinist square ruler that checks out dead flat against my BCTW

And then I cut up an old craftsman 12" square ruler into a few pieces for "fret rockers". Those check out flat too. ( I had bought the stew-mac 'fret rocker' and found the 4" side to be less flat that specified-- sent it back)

So you mean that cheap one checks out dead flat against the Stew-Mac straight-edge ? I mean I'm tempted to buy one then, but I'm so picky about stuff like that, it makes me sick.

If my straight-edge was *aluminum* it would be total trash by now. I think it's too soft for a guitar repair shop. That steel one looks quite nice, but the weight could be a problem (when checking a guitar neck).

I currently have the 1101-003 SE-24 Straight Edge from here :

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/ok_default.html

Thanks a bunch for the info Guitarfrenzy and Soapbarstrat! I was looking at that same straightedge GF has and was hesitating on buying because it is so inexpensive. Good to know it gets a thumbs up from somebody with skills far more advanced than mine.

Rockin'. I recently got myself a killer 18" (well, 50cm. So really a hair under 20") straightedge. Heavy as hell, from Dick Tools in Germany, it's a bit thick (like 1/2" of stainless steel), .004mm accuracy over its length, knife edge, and a nice rubber grip to hold it by. Works great for necks and the like, and it comes in a nice leather slipcase. Yeah, it costs like 60 bucks, but shipping's cheaper than from the US, so it works out. It's no lightweight, and I'm a touch paranoid about, y'know, dropping it, so I'll probably get a few more of the cheap ones from art supply. Heck, at least I know I've got an accurate rule to measure against :-)

Yes, dead flat, and it was the 18" one, compared to the Stew Mac one. I did buy both of mine a couple of years ago, so either company could have changed their product, but the only difference I could see was that the Stew Mac one has that luxury sticker on it.

• 1 month later...

stewmac over charges on so many things its not even funny

Nitefly,

I agree Stewmac are a tad more expensive than other suppliers but I also factor quality and speed of service into the equation.

Down here in Australia I can get stuff shipped from Stewmac (and LMI) quicker than I can from the other side of Australia. Whenever there have been (rare) hiccups with shipments they get fixed pronto....so far Ive only had one Australian supplier match Stewmac for service.

Cheers Martin

i agree that their service is oustanding but often many things are given different names and the price is hiked way up so you end up paying say 40 dollars for "fret bending tool" which is just a pair of needle nose pliers, things like that.

Have to agree. A lot of Stew Mac's tools are laughabley priced, the fret bending pliers are just one example.

I'm in Australia and have to agree with kiwigeo, their shipping, while expensive, is faster than Oz post and they do have some great stuff.