9 String Guitar?!?!?

I was just checking out Rusty Cooley's website and came across a link to Conklin guitars... Apparantly he had a 9 string guitar on order... it's a strange beast indeed, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on what the purpose of fretting the instrument in the way that they did? Does it keep the strings in tune better? anyways here is a link hopefully, if not just look for the 9 string... it's the black one.

It's making me drool, so I know there are gonna be a few here that will as well...

http://www.conklinguitars.com/cherished.html

Fanned frets. There's all sorts of benefits--playability, intonation, string tension. Might just do a search for fanned frets either here or on Google and you'll get more info than you ever wanted on 'em.

BTW, Novax sells fanned conversion necks for Strats, too.

• 5 months later...

Mostly those bass strings are played between the nut and #7 where the neck is not quite as wide.

I've tried a few Conklins out, the biggest problem I have playing wise is trying to mute all those bass strings while playing chords. No slashing allowed!

They are interesting instruments, to be sure.

Crafty nailed it, the most important part about fanned fretting is the string tension. When the scale is smaller for the smaller gauge strings, it's much easier to tune to higher tunings, in this case a perfect fourth higher than high E, which is A. This is also very helpful for Extended Range Basses, as the highest string (Ab) requires a similar sized string, around .006-.007.

What do you think, what will be best scales to use in 5- string bass? 33" to 35" or 34" to 35"? I think that 34" to 35" will be better because 5- string fretboard is not that wide.

My preference would be a 35" scale. I really like the feel of the B-string on this scale over a 34" scale.

What do you think, what will be best scales to use in 5- string bass? 33" to 35" or 34" to 35"? I think that 34" to 35" will be better because 5- string fretboard is not that wide.

Dingwall uses 34"-37" fanning on their five strings. I have one and it's a fabulous instrument. If anything, I'd be tempted to go a bit longer, maybe 38" for the B.

I meant the low F# on teh 25.5 scale. I went out and got another big string and got it to intonate properly on my 8 string.....still sounds like a wet fart.

Your equipment may not be able to handle the F# string. Happens with the B-string on my bass on 8 inch speakers. :D