Prs + Floyd?

Ahh I should've used the picture engine sooner.

I found 2.!

I dunno if its the same artist or not as featured on the zine.

PRS meets Floyd Rose ("Paul, this is Floyd, Floyd......")

PRS meets Floyd Rose ("Paul, this is..." "We've met before." "Oh")

2nd one might be just a mockup.

-IR

BTW, the bridge on the first one is Wilkinson Trem, right?

That first one looks good and all, but it doesn't have any of the actual benefits of a Floyd! The "locking" saddles don't seem to be doing a better job than any plain old ball-end saddle; and there's no locking nut. Locking tuners with straight string pull over the nut are effective and all, but it's still not a locking nut.

Greg

Yea.. you're right.. it's a failure by design..

I didn't even see the nut on that one.

I used up all my resources now.. so I guess I will just have to believe that there is a PRS with Floyd from Chris (verhoevenc) or.. was the artist's name Jim Reed?

I found this.. but I don't think it's right.. Nobody can get a PRS under $500...

Harmony Central

It seems that PRS overall is not that experimental

On the side, I also looked for any PRS with more rare or exotic woods (i.e. purpleheart, wenge, etc)

I would get alder, swamp ash, but no fancy stuff. Think I saw some string-throughs though..

-IR

Thx, I was forgetting about those

They aren't officially a PRS,

But I'll take it.

I did consider that being my first project long time ago, before I found out that Grizzly doesn't ship outside USA. I ended up with a Saga... but I have to say.. for $80US and not knowing a clue about building guitars/finishing, I thought it was a good investment.

I think the "wierd curve" looks pretty sexy and a modern edge. imo

Speaking of Grizzly guitars,

Does anyone know (They have a Grizzly store on eBay and Amazon.com) if any of the stores ship outside the States? I know for SURE that ordering through their main site (Grizzly.com) won't let it ship anywhere else other than US.

(Here's a link to the Heirloom Kit5 on Amazon if you can't find it Link)

-IR

Thx, I was forgetting about those

They aren't officially a PRS,

But I'll take it.

I did consider that being my first project long time ago, before I found out that Grizzly doesn't ship outside USA. I ended up with a Saga... but I have to say.. for $80US and not knowing a clue about building guitars/finishing, I thought it was a good investment.

I think the "wierd curve" looks pretty sexy and a modern edge. imo

Speaking of Grizzly guitars,

Does anyone know (They have a Grizzly store on eBay and Amazon.com) if any of the stores ship outside the States? I know for SURE that ordering through their main site (Grizzly.com) won't let it ship anywhere else other than US.

(Here's a link to the Heirloom Kit5 on Amazon if you can't find it Link)

-IR

my friend said flyod roses are a pain, ive never had one. as some of you know from my posts ive learned alot about prs and own several. i just cant see a flyod on a prs or similar body. whats wrong with just using locking tunners that was prs solution? oh by the way a standard prs tremelo blows a strat one away.

Adam

Hrm. Surely you must understand the difference between locking nut and saddles vs. the PRS way (just locking tuners, plus (intelligent I might add) straight string pull). Your friend might be right-- certain things about locking trems CAN be a pain!-- but that doesn't address the benefits.

Not going to get very far divebombing your PRS (sorry, MULTIPLE PRS) guitars.

I don't mean to be overly critical here, but it's clear that you're in the stage of "stars in the eyes" over a particular brand of guitar and their approach. For what it's worth, for my needs the PRS system is simply amazing and I'd put it or something similar on almost any trem-equipped guitar I'd care to make. The fact that you can afford "several" of them, and that you're convinced their system is perfect, makes me wonder what it is that you're hoping to glean from Project Guitar!

In any event, the two systems are very different, and both have their place.

Greg

Hrm. Surely you must understand the difference between locking nut and saddles vs. the PRS way (just locking tuners, plus (intelligent I might add) straight string pull). Your friend might be right-- certain things about locking trems CAN be a pain!-- but that doesn't address the benefits.

Not going to get very far divebombing your PRS (sorry, MULTIPLE PRS) guitars.

I don't mean to be overly critical here, but it's clear that you're in the stage of "stars in the eyes" over a particular brand of guitar and their approach. For what it's worth, for my needs the PRS system is simply amazing and I'd put it or something similar on almost any trem-equipped guitar I'd care to make. The fact that you can afford "several" of them, and that you're convinced their system is perfect, makes me wonder what it is that you're hoping to glean from Project Guitar!

Greg

do explain. my friends ibanez with a flyod he has to have a guitar tech restring it and he mentioned that you have to cut the ends of the strings (the side with the rings) off. Also it a pain to tune. it just sounds like a pain in the ass. im not saying prs is perfect at all i was just using an example of a different solution. i honestly have no idea what the benifit of a flyod is. and i dont like the way they look with the extra crap on the trem and the locking nut.

Adam

My friends Ibanez with a Floyd he has to have a guitar tech restring it and he mentioned that you have to cut the ends of the strings (the side with the rings) off. Also it a pain to tune. it just sounds like a pain in the ass. im not saying prs is perfect at all i was just using an example of a different solution. i honestly have no idea what the benifit of a flyod is. and i dont like the way they look with the extra crap on the trem and the locking nut.

Adam

:D

:D

I'm sry.. but I just love Floyds too much.. being a huge fan of guitarists like Satriani, Vai, Alex Lifeson, Petrucci, EVH, Dimebag (love those squeals) and I probably will put 1 for every guitar I make from now on... or even when I get the chance of modifying something.

Vintage or even the floating tremolos only have dive range of 4 steps, but Floyd or Edges can do about 8 and plus bend up about 4 steps, or may be different in each setup. Anywho, the point is that they're much more versatile. And if you listen to both of them, the dives or bends on Floyd/Edge are much smoother than the vintage style ones.

And I'm sure if Hendrix had one of these, he'd go wild(er) :D and probably rethink about setting his guitars on fire

i dont like the way they look with the extra crap on the trem and the locking nut.

It has more functions than just wider range of bends.. Such as the fine tuners and sustain. But if you think its that ugly.. I guess you can think of it as a tradeoff.. between the looks and its functions.

Agreed, Floyd rose may not suite many playing styles.. such as.. I can't really imagine Coldplay or.. Arcade Fire using Floyd.. or even 2nd guitarists on many metal bands who usually just plays power/slash/bar chords in the background most of the time...

whats wrong with just using locking tunners that was prs solution

Isn't that because if you have a Floyd Rose without a locking nut, the string angle in the headstock might create more tension and might break the strings more often?

-IR

You can get Floyd bridges that don't require snipping, but in any event, let's just assume that snipping is the norm and agree that Floyds CAN be a pain. Like I said, that doesn't address any of the benefits, which are listed fairly well here by redwhiteandthemaple.

With regards to locking tuners vs. nut, most if it comes down to what redwhite mentioned, PLUS the fact that there's no such thing as a perfectly friction-free nut. That being the case, after a serious divebomb, the strings won't be in tune with relation to each other anymore. You might get close, but that's about it.

With a locking system, the nut is taken out of the equation, and the slack after bridge is taken out of the equation. Literally, all that is left is the length of string between the nut (not beyond!) and the saddles (not the string length between the true 'bridge' and where the ball end is anchored. That doesn't mean that locking systems are always perfect. For example, locking trems that have poor engineering or manufacturing at OTHER points of serious friction in the mechanism (ie. the pivot posts), crap springs (laugh, laugh like you will, but it matters!), or even just a poor setup job, will still fail. But with a proper Floyd, manufactured by someone with proper care and Quality Control, will always hold up to "whammy tricks" more effectively than a vintage-type trem.

In any event, I don't trust what my friends say about such things, and I don't even trust most guitar store employees about such things. Too many times I've encountered salespeople who really don't know jack, and these are the supposed experts. So no matter what your friends or the PRS peeps say, take it all with a grain of salt and make your own evaluations, after doing as much objective research and critical thinking as you can stand.

Greg

I recently finished a PRS clone with a Floyd (OFR).

Here is a pic of it before the finish was applied. I guess I don't have a pic of it completed.

Anyway, it certainly can be done. I'm a bit biased but I really don't understand most of the "put-downs" when it comes to the Floyd bridges. I grew up playing a fixed bridge guitar and switched to Floyds after about 5 years of playing. Cutting the ball has never been a big deal to me - it doesn't take more than a few seconds.

Tuning a Floyd after all of the strings have been removed used to drive me crazy. I have a piece of wood that I place next to the spring block and it takes care of most of the problems. A little spring adjustment is sometimes needed also. To avoid these issues, try not to remove all of the strings at the same time. Once in a while you will have to remove all of them to clean the fretboard but mostly, one string at a time will get the job done without having to do the things I mentioned above.

The slams I have heard about Floyds not being good enough for people who cannot earn a living playing guitar are the ones that really make me wonder. The typical "kills my sustain" and "sucks my tone" comments are amazing to me. I guess if Steve Vai or Joe Satriani were to say that they just can't use a Floyd for these reasons, the comments may carry more weight with me. When a 19 year old who isn't quite sure what "Modes" are tells me that Floyds are great for dive-bombing and "tricks" but won't meet his tone and sustain requirements, I have to smile and shake my head.

I don't mean to sound like there are no reasons to dislike a Floyd. If you really can't get the hang of tuning one or if you just don't like the feel - I can't argue with that. It's the comments about them somehow being a downer on your otherwise famous tone and sustain or the notion that they are only useful for "divebombing tricks" that I have to disagree with. The Floyd adds a tool for expression that is very hard to duplicate by bending the neck or other means.

P.S. - these comments have nothing to do with any posts here - this thread just reminded me of previous discussions on this topic.

Well, see, Floyds have a unique tone; you like it, or you don't. Me? I can't pretend I can hear Satch or Vai's tone under the massive rack of effects and distortion it's pumped through, and it's not a tone that I think exemplifies 'good', for me, or tells me much of anything about their guitars' intrinsic tone. I play with light overdrive, I don't find dive-bombing useful for the styles I play, and I prefer the sound I get from non-Floyd trems, or better, hardtails. I like to hear the wood the guitar's made of, and for me, that tends to mean more 'transparent' hardware, and avoiding super high-gain pickups and overly processed tone. In that context, yeah, Floyd's are possibly the worst choice you can make.

Horses for courses and all that; if you want crazy trem action, get ye a floyd or a khaler. If you don't, don't. And while sustain may not suffer at all, tone will be affected; whether you like it or not is a matter of taste.

Wow thats a really clean job, and all original parts.

Looks great, don't mind if I copy it, or attempt to (this summerr.. argg..)

Can you tell me few specs of it? Neck Angle, Headstock angle, Set neck, Neck through, # of frets (I'm pretty sure that's 24..), and body wood? Or any of these you remember.

I might actually need the specs for neck angle and headstock angle, or would 2degree for neck and 9degrees for headstock be ok?

Oh and did you hand carve that?? or cnc?

Thx,

-IR

I know im going to get flamed for bringing this up here :D but ed roman makes prs style guitars with floyds. Im not sure of the price though. Dont listen to all his hype about "direct coupling" and all that stuff though.

• 1 year later...