My new creation......

Hey there,

Want to see my latest project? I finally finished it on sunday. It is a solid carved(2 piece) Walnut archtop body with a Carvin Maple/Ebony neck. I gave the headstock a walnut burl overlay and it's gorgeous(even though my pics came out like crap!). The truss rod cover and bridge plate are highly flamed maple with an ebony insert and it holds a piezo transducer pickup that leads to a Barcus Berry preamp that I retrofitted into the body. I'm thinking of trying nylon strings just to see what it sounds like, what do ya think?

As far as the big cut-out in the ass end of the body is a long story. This was supposed to be a 9 string but I just didn't like the sound so I cut it all out.LOL!

pic

pic

pic

pic

pic

pic

Dave->

Hey thanks for all the comments fellers!

Jehle: I'm going to do some clips with the steel strings, then bronze wound and then nylon. I want to get it set up first and I've been very busy lately at work and other side interests.

syxxstring: Do you mean how comfortable it is? It's perfect. B)

Drak: I always like the archtop of the F- style Mando I built and wanted the same "feel" for this one. Also, I didn't intend for it to be garcia-ish but maybe subconciously(sp?) :D

Thanks to all of you for all the comments. I wanted to do something very different and out of the ordinary. Originaly, I was going to put soapbars in it also(which I still think would be very cool!) but when I saw it without them in the testing stage before finishing, I just couldn't do it.

Thanks again!

Dave->

Hey there,

erikbojerik: yes, that's exactly what I did. If you go here, you'll see the body(with a crappy neck...) before it was carved. Notice on the back where the step is in the radiused area? That's where I mounted the tuners. It worked great, i used little brass "wheels" to guide the strings over the bridge and around to the tuners. I should have taken a pic of it! :D

Thanks again for the compliments and I did enter it in the contest. Wish me luck!

Dave->

Hey Dave,

OK, yeah that's sort of what I was thinking.

So let me get this straight, the tuner posts stuck out of the front of the body (pointing away from you if you had it strapped on) behind the bridge?

How did you attach the extra 3 strings at the headstock? Ferrules thru? Or just thread it thru the post of the tuner? Or something else?

Yes that is correct! And yeah I forgot to mention that I had put 3 string ferrules(made my own smaller ones) in the back of the headstock. You fed the string through the back of the headstock, under a handmade string tree, and then across the bridge, around the brass "wheels" I made, and then through the tuner. I actually found that I did take a picture!! :D

You'll be able to see the 3 holes in the old headstock and the 3 holes for the tuners in the body(notice the old body shape!). Sorry, the little brass wheels weren't mounted yet.

Original W39

Hope that helps!!

Dave->