Newest Project

My latest guitar is a Mahogany back, Flame maple top single cut.

Specs,

Body shape the same as my wenge guitar

Mahogany body

Mahogany neck

Flame maple headstock overlay to match the body

Flame maple binding on the ebony fingerboard

Flame maple top

Maple stained in light amber with natural binding ala PRS

Unstained mahogany drool.gif

More PRS style carve where it sucks in insted of bowing out like the one I did on the wenge guitar.

PRS HFS and Vintage Bass pickups with nickel covers

PRS style switching via a rotary switch

Nickel/chrome hardware everywhere

25" scale length

some king of cool inlay at the 12th fret (havn't decided on a design yet)

Pigtail wraparound bridge

Bone nut

Finished in high gloss (neck will be satin)

The wood got here yesterday. pic

Today I took it to the shop on base and got all the wood resawn and thickness planed/sanded. The mahogany was enough for two guitars bodies (with tops) and the mahogany neck was enough for three necks (with scarf joints).

Here is a pic of where I stand right now, everythings glueing up :D

maplemahoganydrying.jpg

Tomorrow I will glue the top and bottom together and after thats dry I'll cut out the body and start work on it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im so passionate about beautiful woods i would be happy to just have slabs of it around the house to look at , feel, smell etc....

good luck with this build its nice when i see people building from trees basically as apposed to kits or pre made this that and the other...not saying the other way is wrong just saying i like to watch proper wood to guitar builds on here ;-)

Edited by Dan Salter

I just got the mahognay back and maple top glued together.

mahogmapledrying2.jpg

Nice scrap clamping cauls? :D *

Nothing like glueing very expensive wood together to get the heart pumping. :D

Now I have to wait for the glue to dry, than I can carve it, rout the neck pocket, rout the pickup cavitys, drill for the bridge, rout for control cavity, drill for controls etc etc

* No maple was harmed in the making of this film

Edited by Godin SD

Your clamping job looks remarkably similar to mine for the guitar I built a year ago, the Nebula. Here's the pic:

clampst.jpg

Same type of cauls and all.. If you were wondering, the glue job turned out perfectly, as yours should. Good luck!

Your clamping job looks remarkably similar to mine for the guitar I built a year ago, the Nebula. Here's the pic:

Same type of cauls and all.. If you were wondering, the glue job turned out perfectly, as yours should. Good luck!

I always liked your nebula. That was the first thing I saw when I came to PG main site a long time ago... I was thinking, "wow I want to make guitars like that some day" :D

BTW russ I tested some diffrent dyes and I finally decided on a pass with very light red mahogany, than the amber. Looks more "full" than the amber alone.

My glue job did turn out perfect, seemless. pic

(wood wiped with naptha for pics)

I routed and spindal sanded the body earlier today. The wood I got for this one is awesome :D

153009.jpg

Yes thats a routing mistake on the lower bout. The template slipped :D Luckally everything the router took out was going to be carved anyway, so it's not a problem B)

Mahogany

neck (not glued yet, just sitting there)

Edited by Godin SD

Yes thats a routing mistake on the lower bout. The template slipped :D

It is for that very reason that I now screw down all my templates with short drywall screws. One in the neck pocket area, the other either in a pickup location or the bridge location. That way, the screw holes will be either routed out in the waste, or covered by the bridge.

Looking good!

In case anyones wondering I have gotten a LOT done on this. It looks like I am going to make my deadline! :D

I'll get some pics up later today.

I have it all planed out. If everything goes alright I will finish the "building" stages on around june 10th and the rest of the time goes into finishing getting ready for that July 22nd.

Edited by Godin SD

darn Godin, you are spending more than you should if you are buying from gilmer figured maples. Do you have Durawood website address, if not PM me and I send it to you. For the same piece you could pay half the price with him.

I love gilmer, but not on maples, I think that they are extensively overpriced...

Godin, that is coolest piece of quilt I have seen in a long time! I love the oragne coloring in it.

Cool guitar too by the way. That's a sweet piece of mahogany (and maple). I am building one for a client right now with the same woods. Great combo!

~David

(+1 for durawoods too)