Tutorial on Making Guitar Cases?

Drak

Really excellent idea!

Faux crocodile exterior with pink plush inside for me please!

:D

A kook friend of mine once did this...

Took a standard SKB hardshell case, ripped out the inside of the bottom half leaving only the plastic shell (top half left intact, covered with plastic). Took his axe and carefully wrapped and taped the whole thing in a single layer of foam, making sure the foam didn't overlap itself anywhere. Next, he filled the bottom half about 1/2-full with many spray cans of this liquid foam insulation stuff, set the guitar in, and shut the case. All this stuff oozed out the edges when he closed it.

Left it overnight. Next morning he opened the case and carefully cut through the foam around the guitar, removing the top half; the bottom half of the foam was stuck like a layer to the (now hard) insulation. Fit like a glove! I think he later glued some kind of fabric over the foam.

He may also have wrapped the guitar in plastic first, then foam, don't remember exactly. I'd worry about fumes eating into the finish...

A kook friend of mine once did this...

Took a standard SKB hardshell case, ripped out the inside of the bottom half leaving only the plastic shell (top half left intact, covered with plastic). Took his axe and carefully wrapped and taped the whole thing in a single layer of foam, making sure the foam didn't overlap itself anywhere. Next, he filled the bottom half about 1/2-full with many spray cans of this liquid foam insulation stuff, set the guitar in, and shut the case. All this stuff oozed out the edges when he closed it.

Left it overnight. Next morning he opened the case and carefully cut through the foam around the guitar, removing the top half; the bottom half of the foam was stuck like a layer to the (now hard) insulation. Fit like a glove! I think he later glued some kind of fabric over the foam.

He may also have wrapped the guitar in plastic first, then foam, don't remember exactly. I'd worry about fumes eating into the finish...

standard case aint long enough for my v

I could just buy a standard "dumb" strat case, but that's no fun. I'm going to try and make a form fit case similar to the original 1954 Strat cases.

I have no idea where to begin, what materials to cover with, no idea how to bend wood, but I'm going to try.

You know me by now, I love to experiment. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

here we go

bending wood:

i recommend making some form of shaping thing (i know what i mean even if you don't)

glue together tons of planks of wood into a block then cut the shape of the final bent thing out of it. then you are left with two blocks of wood that fit together. next soak your wood (plywood) and clamp it between the two blocks of wood and leave it for days and days until its dry. take the blocks off and you have a bent piece of wood...that sorts the sides.

btw..you can make skateboards this way

hope that helps

dan

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I will post pics and a complete how to. I am building a case for the green lacewood one that will be posted as soon as the pics get developed on CD.

i mite try a tri guitar case, to hold my bass, and two guitars, u no what would be tite, is have the cases as long as a bass case and for the two guitars have two casses that are as big asa gutiar and use the accese as a amp, i will draw a pic latter if u don't get it