Prices

Cryptog

About how much should i charge for a full scallop? I have an in-home guitar repairshop, and i have been working on guitars since i was 13. For the past 10 years i have been charging little to nothing.

On the current guitar, a tele, I have to:

Repot

Full scallop

Convert to hardtail

Romeve the shellac

Re-shellac

ReNut

Install an EMG humbucker

Intall a batterypack

Re-contour the neck

Polish the frets

Stain the neck

Fret Markers

Install P-Waves Tuners

Fix 1 inch of binding

And on a Jackson guitar i have to do a full scallop.

I was think ing 200 bucks for the top. and like 50 bucks for the jackson

thanks

Aidan "Pole-My-'Roids" Cryptograph

you should charge an hourly rate. keep close watch on your time so you can charge accordingly. That way you never loose on your time or skill. You have somthing they want so don't give away your work. You are worth more than that......

Good luck

Mike

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you have been doing repairs for 10 years you should probably know already. Have you ever done a full scallop before? How long did it take?

I would say the tele needs to be around $300+ because you are practically rebuilding the thing!!

For a full scallop you need to be charging around $150 depending on your experience at the job IMHO.

If you are unsure check out what other guitar shops in the area quote for the same job and go cheaper since you dont have the overheads.

I live in the uk so dont really know how much american shops charge for work but over here a set-up costs you at least £30 which is already more than you want to charge for a full scallop which would need to include a set-up.

I ususally charge less if somebody offers me a job that perks my interest.

While I am still learning in the guitar hobby, I do own a small craftsman-type buisiness. I can not stress enough what rs said about hourly rating. It took me a while to esablish a baseline for estimating hourly requirements and used to skate around it with set labor but it will kill you in the end. On the non buisiness side, if this is just a hobby and you enjoy it enough not to do it for the green then charge what it is worth to you.

R-

"I don't know the answer to your question, but if you have been doing repairs for 10 years you should probably know already. Have you ever done a full scallop before? How long did it take?"

Yes i have done many scallops, 50+. If its a full scallop, i can get it done in about 5 hours, depending on the wood.

"If you are unsure check out what other guitar shops in the area quote for the same job and go cheaper since you dont have the overheads."

Im the only one who will do it! :D

I plan on opening up my shop by next year, Im done with the tele, and about to start the jackson.

thanks.

So about 350 total?

depends on how much you like the guy and the work. i'm sure you could go higher if you wanted, though. man, back in the day, my tuners were breaking, so i went to the local music shop to see if they could help me out. they had some decent ones for 30 bucks that they sold to me and i had them put in (before i started really playing with guitars. i was afraid of changing things myself..). i come back a couple days later to pick it up, and there's a 40-dollar labor charge attached. the holes were the same diameter and the new tuners had the same pokey-things on the bottom as the old ones, so no holes had to be filled or drilled. they charged me forty bucks to pull off six nuts and screw six new ones on. didn't even re-string it for me. buttheads. you're doing a lot more than that, so you could probably charge a decent fee. but you know, whatever works

See this is where the line gets foggy with hobby v. business. I assume you have a regular job or another chosen profession. For me to make logical sense of my business I SHOULD have been chargin what I could be making or more than my job right. Well If I charged $200 for a set labor and it took 6 hours I taking it in the shorts as I COULD have been at work pulling $55 an hour. Lots of should'ves and could'ves yeah? Make it worth your time.

R-