Acg Recurve 4

Hi

Just started this bass for Dave.

Here are the specs.

Balck Limba body core.

Camphor Burl top and back with black contrast veneer.

Birdseye maple and black limba neck with matching camphor back plate and headplate.

Quilted maple acrylic impregnated fingerboard.

Hardware all in black, hipshot ultralite and a hipshot Type A bridge.

2 ACG FatBas custom wound humbuckers connected to an as yet undecided pre-amp.

You can follow the progress of this bass at,

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/galleryitem.php?ID=82

175527708_c9c802b8b1.jpg

You can also see another Recurve bass progress at.

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/galleryitem.php?ID=86

Edited by skelf

That camphor burl looks cool as hell!

So does the limba and the fretboard too.

EDIT: Read the rules before you get in trouble for those pics BTW. You're allowed 1 big pic per post (640x480 max), but the rest have to be links or thumbnails. :D

Edited by Ben

That camphor burl looks cool as hell!

So does the limba and the fretboard too.

EDIT: Read the rules before you get in trouble for those pics BTW. You're allowed 1 big pic per post (640x480 max), but the rest have to be links or thumbnails. :D

The wood choices are Dave's and I think he has done a fine job.

Hey all, you should know that Alan has been nothing but amazing to work with from the very beginning at the wood selection stage right through to finalizing the details... And I can't tell you how much I like his models!!! He was even completely open minded when I asked him to tweak his own design! How many guys would have even considered doing that?

And then he sends updates and photos every day or two. He sure knows how to keep me involved and updated even though we're a 6 hour flight from each other!

I couldn't ask for a better guy to work with! And I REALLY can't wait to see it in person!

Dave

If there was a tearing your hair out in frustration smiley thats the one for me. (At least thats my excuse for my limited amount of hair.)

I love the finished effect but the build process can be problematic or at least it is for me.

Edited by skelf

• 2 weeks later...

DITTO ! ! ! ! !

:D:DB)

Looking good!

Looking very good in fact... I really like the way the camphor burl is used on both the top and back of the guitar.

I really like your shapes! Very original! Those "rounded square" end style horns are really growing on me! Like you guitars, Garehan's Tang Top, one that Swedish Luthier did, etc. But yeah, I've also been a professed lover of carves the go through layers. So you're pressin' all my buttons with this build.

Also, how do you get your logo on the pickup covers like that? You CNC them, or you shallew route them by hand?

Chris

I really like your shapes! Very original! Those "rounded square" end style horns are really growing on me! Like you guitars, Garehan's Tang Top, one that Swedish Luthier did, etc. But yeah, I've also been a professed lover of carves the go through layers. So you're pressin' all my buttons with this build.

Also, how do you get your logo on the pickup covers like that? You CNC them, or you shallew route them by hand?

Chris

Hi Chris

The logo is cut with a CNC into an alloy former and a mold is then used to make the pickups. I got the former made by a local engineering works and the pickups are made by Aaron Armstrong.(Kents son.)

I put the bass together today just to check every thing was as it should be.

Cut the nut and strung her up. All has went according to plan I will now take it to bits and start the finishing.

I am wait ing for the pre-amp I should have some news about that within the next week to ten days it should be worth the wait.

188744496_b997143db2.jpg

188744498_b23c311ffe.jpg

:D That looks fantastic!

WOW! :D

That is absolutely gorgeous! I love the shape, the woods used, everything!

Just saw the guitar version of this as well - beautiful...