Graphics printer

DaveK

O.K. this sounds to good to be true...

A good friend of mine swears that he saw a new printer product in a magazine.

From what he says, the printer will take any scanned image & apply Ink or Paint to ANY product you want at PHOTO quality

He said the examples that they used were cakes (images on frosting), Canvas, and WOOD!

Has anone heard of such a product? I don't even know where to begin searchin the web for such a product

If it exists...what a way to do Graphic guitar finishes!!!!

Anyone heard of it?

Dave K

a local luthier told me about some companies that doo that, they take one of they're best figured guitars, with the nicest top imaginable, take a picture with some high tech toys then use that shrink wrap stuff to make it look like all the production guitars have these great looking figured tops. kinda cheap if you ask me..... but a great tool for doing graphics i would think :D

FotoFlame is probably one of the more commonly used items today.

Ever seen any of those OLP "Ernie Ball" wannabes?

Or how about those really cheap ESP LTD's?

Or how about that re-issue of the Peavey Vandenberg?

All of them seem to have these absolutely gorgeous quilted tops.

But I think we all know that there is now way in h*ll you could make a guitar with a real quilted maple top for under $200.

But these guitars are just using a flat material glued to the top.

Like a veneer, but it's not wood.

It's man-made.

The "shrinkwrap" approach is something completely different.

You could make a totally custom looking airbrushed design, on all sides of the body.

Let's use a Floral JEM as an example.

The design is created, and then printed out on sheets.

A prepped body is inserted, and then heat is applied.

The plastic "melts", and conforms to the shape of the body.

And in the case of a Floral JEM, you then just spray the sunburst and your clear, and you're done.

Now repeat...

Cheaters.........

:D

I have no idea where such a set up would be found, but I have a feeling it would be in a price range beyond consumer affordability...

Large format printers themselves aren't exactly cheap, and the more advanced or specialized they become, the more expensive they get.

The media probably isn't cheap either.

But still cheaper than having some dudes airbrushing 300 guitars a month!

:D

Somehow this printer prints the media on a SHRINK WRAP type of material & you then apply it to you surface

That's probably exactly what companies like Jackson & ESP use for all their graphics...

At least on their "production" models.

all of jackson's graphics are traditionally painted, not shrink wrap or screen printing.

sully

Somehow this printer prints the media on a SHRINK WRAP type of material & you then apply it to you surface

That's probably exactly what companies like Jackson & ESP use for all their graphics...

At least on their "production" models.

all of jackson's graphics are traditionally painted, not shrink wrap or screen printing.

sully

even the foriegn models?