Ca And Baking Soda

chunkielad

Baking Soda acts as an Accelerator with CA adhesive.

Besides water, cyanoacrylate polymerises in presence of alcohol and basic compounds (including weak amines). The latter can be used to produce a superglue “kicker” – a compound which triggers quick polymerisation of the glue.

Baking soda is one well-known substance with this effect. If you apply a layer of superglue to a seam and gently pour baking soda over it, the glue will cure very quickly. It makes for most effective filler for smaller jobs, and the baking soda results in a slightly rough surface which is good for sanding.

There you go, but remember to ask a grown up before you use the pointy scissors :D

Wow, didn't know that, which makes me wonder why the normal accellerator they sell for CA glues is known to be SO dangerous, it has been known to kill a few people (lung cancer I think) in a few short years when used with no ventilation. Why can't they sell a much safer alternative I wonder?

Well, I've had a go and I'm pretty impressed! You need to work in layers to build it up or you end up with pockets of non CA'd bits and when you sand, you have to fill those bits in again. Generally though it's worked out pretty good. I will test in a day or so to see how hard they get as at the minute (after an hour) they seem slightly soft. Not too much that it'd cause an issue but it would be nice for them to be a little tougher.

Pics will come soon.

Edited by chunkielad

Baking soda and CA are also very good for repairing/building up nut slots in plastic as well. For a bone nut I sand a piece of bone and use the dust w/ CA. I've also made colored FB dots by packing dyed maple dust, rosewood dust or gumwood dust (any dust will do) and whickering in CA glue. Sand flush and refill as needed. I call it "the poor man's inlay". :D

Well, I've had a go and I'm pretty impressed! You need to work in layers to build it up or you end up with pockets of non CA'd bits and when you sand, you have to fill those bits in again. Generally though it's worked out pretty good. I will test in a day or so to see how hard they get as at the minute (after an hour) they seem slightly soft. Not too much that it'd cause an issue but it would be nice for them to be a little tougher.

Pics will come soon.

What colour does it set?

White, clear or milky?

Well this is the result

Inlays.jpg

There's much more sanding to do as the board isn't radiused yet. So far they seem quite sturdy and tidy to boot. I think that with a bit more practise I could get them totally even - maybe i won't try though as I like the different opacities.

I think I will have a go at colouring them next.

Edited by chunkielad

• 4 weeks later...

Idea - can you use a water based dye to color the baking soda, let it dry, break up the clumps then mix with the ca?

I was thinking something similer mate. I will try mixing food colouring with the soda, and with the glue and see which turns out the best. I suspect mixing it with the glue may not work though.

I think a better idea may be to add the CA glue to the baking soda.

A while back I was reading my Guitar Player Repair Guide and Dan Erlewine recommends using the combo of CA and bicarb to plug stripped screw holes. You put a little bicarb in the hole and add a drop of super glue, small puff of white smoke you shouldn't breathe, and voila, instant plug.