Dremel Base

radrobgray

It's worth it for the time and materials you'd spend making a similar contrapumalation, plus you know it'll work out of the bag :-) Have you ever compared the price of primo Dremel accessories to third party ones? It make Stewmac seem cheap in comparison!

I'm coming from the angle of "I get so much useful time out of my SM base it pays for itself".

im going to dive into the world of inlaying. i need a base for my dremel, but i am on a budget. so the stew mac one seem outragiouse in price. will this one be good enough: link

I have one of them (Dremel Base) and they seem to have a lot of Flex in the plastic _I wouldn't buy another one.The Stewmac one looks a lot better.

Greg

I have one of those bases too, and I haven't had any problem with the rigidity of the plastic base, though I have heard a lot of people complain about that. From some things I have seen, I am led to believe that Dremel made a newer version of the base with a number of changes, so I may just have a newer one. It's not a bad deal for the price (I got mine cheap). I am sure the SM base would be better (and the SM base with Foredom tool better yet), but I find the new base completely serviceable for smaller jobs. If you want to do much inlay work, I would go straight for the better equipment though.

• 1 month later...

what exactly did you do to make the dremel attach to the base? set screw? threaded the wood? even a pic of the base with out the dremel would me nice. thanks

Same here - I'd really like to know how the Dremel attaches to the base.

Simple and neat design. I'm sure anyone could make one of these in 30min or less and save the $50.00 bucks Stew-Mac wants for their base.

Sorry guys - I thought I'd answered that question, must have been a PM.

The dremel is attached using a collar which is part of the drywall cutting attachment which came with the dremel. The collar screws onto the thread on the dremel, and is a very tight push fit into a 25mm hole, which was bored in the base with a forstner bit.

I think it's fine.

What are you really going to route with it?

Just enough for thin inlay.

It's clear so you can see more of what you're routing.

Any routing inperfection will be taken up by epoxy anyways.

What you route will be slow and very shallow.

I have the old Dremel base and I like it.

Inspired by Setch's router base, I decided to my make own - Thanks, Setch. I'll be doing my very first intricate inlays with this for an explorer project I'm working on.

Mine is made with clear Acrylic with a 6"x6" base and a 1-1/2" diameter opening in the base. The Dremel tool is held in place with a 3/4" nut.

The top acrylic portion is 1/8" thick and the base is 1/4" thick. The base in the pictures still hase the white plastic protective film on it.

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL912/43163...4/198740492.jpg

198740498.jpg

:D

I see you've gone down the route of moving around the item being routed as opposed to manipulating the Dremel. Not tried it that way myself.

Huh?

With a larger base, I can have more stability, I can put the dremel on two rails at either side of the fret board and I can manipulate the whole thing by the base. I might add two knobs on the base if moving it with fingers only isn't easy enough.

:D

Edit - Oh... I get it now - You mean putting the fretboard OVER the bottom portion of the router base? No, that's not what I planned on doing but now that you mention it, when I start practicing my inlaying techniques, I'll try that method to see if its easier.

Edited by guitar2005

OK this seems like a good thread to add this to.

Does anyone have any experience with the inlay tool seen on Ebay that is air powered and comes with a base? It looks like it's probably a dental air drill . . .

Anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luthier-precision-pear...1QQcmdZViewItem