Axxion

RGGR

As things are coming together nicely, I think it's about time this baby get's it's own thread.

When I started building guitars a few years ago, my brother laughed his ass off. :D

He tought that could lead to nothing.

As time progressed, and he slowly saw all these pieces of wood being turned into guitars (in different state of completion), he started begging for his own.

I asked him to pick a shape and color. He really digged the Ibanez Iceman & Dave's ESP Axxion. I threw both together and came up with Axxion body with bold-on neck (neck blank was lying around somewhere in the house).

As build is progressing nicely and my brother is jumping for joy with each new progress.....I couldn't resist sharing with you guys as I married the body to the neck today.

marriage1.jpg

Here some more building pics. Enjoy.

Edited by RGGR

Nice and clean, as always, RGGR *is jealous* So is that the neck that's going on the body, or is it just for the visual? I'm thinking that you could combine the headstock designs into a good-lookin' product.

One question, if I may. What was the purpose with routing that huge channel around the body cutout? Or was that just you getting the body to final shape?

Because the first thing that came to my mind was " :D Damn, that's going to be some huge binding!"

:D

Nice and clean, as always, RGGR *is jealous* So is that the neck that's going on the body, or is it just for the visual? I'm thinking that you could combine the headstock designs into a good-lookin' product.

I have to agree with Xanthus, it looks a lot like the regular Axxion which I am not a fan of. Maybe put some more points on it! Points are always good!

So is that the neck that's going on the body, or is it just for the visual?

That neck will go on the Axxion body, that's correct. It's your regular Ibanez 6 stringer headstock, but straightened out. So your regular Ibanez headstock points down.....this one is pointing straight. Similar to Iceman headstock. Tuners will be 3 by 3 (on each side).

One question, if I may. What was the purpose with routing that huge channel around the body cutout? Or was that just you getting the body to final shape?

This was midway during the route, when I took the template off and was about ready to use final body shape as routing template.

First thing my brother thought when seeing these pics.......darn...is he making two bodies at same time. So....noop, not huge binding, not two bodies.....just midway during routing process.

it looks a lot like the regular Axxion which I am not a fan of

Body shape is very close to Axxion shape.....I just incorporated an AANJ into the design and will use a bold-on neck. This is shape my brother picked out. That he is jumping for joy and can't wait to play it, is all that matters in this.

Edited by RGGR

• 3 months later...

Did some work on body today. Trying to get guitar ready before my brothers BD. I routed the recessed TOM, drilled stud holes, routes pup cavities.

The SD 59 (n) and JB (br) pups I will use are bit funny though. I had routed nice and tight cavities, knowing the 59 neck pup needed some more depth, as the little wings on the pups seems to be deeper then the JB's. (Not sure why SD created it this way.)

Other thing I noticed that on the north side of the specially the JB pup, there is a bit of a blob under the tape that protects the wiring/spool. Looking at it closely reveils that that's the are where the wiring leave the spool on the pup. From company like SD I expected something better. I now had to adjust my clean routes somewhat to make sure the pup would fit nicely.

Again, everyting sorted. All now to do is some more sanding, priming, sanding, etc. The heavy lifting stuff on the body is done.

What's all the white stuff on the body?
Putty/Primer. Getting body ready for painting, wanting everything as smooth as a babies bottom. And with all the curves on the side of the body it's very important to not feel any inconsistency in flow of the curve(s).

Nice neck! I like laminated necks and ebony boards.

Yeah, me too..... :D Love the wet-wood feel of ebony.....

What are you doing for inlays?

Normal 5mm dots. Although when my brother saw the shark fins on my 540Pii his eyes litt up. But as I don't have any experience with inlays, that has to wait till another build.

What are you doing for inlays?

Normal 5mm dots. Although when my brother saw the shark fins on my 540Pii his eyes litt up. But as I don't have any experience with inlays, that has to wait till another build.

Oh man! for the inlays, you should try it out. Its really not that hard. It takes a lot of patience though.

This is my first attempt:

217738477.jpg

Not perfect but the next one will be better. Had I gotten the stew-mac spiral cutter bit, I think I could have followed the outlines better. Its now on order :D

Oh man! for the inlays, you should try it out. Its really not that hard. It takes a lot of patience though.

I think I just should go out and practise a bit. It's just (and even with surfing this site quite a bit) I haven't found any good tutorials on inlays yet. (or haven't looked properly.....)

I know there are couple of good books out there.

If anyone has some good suggestions of where to start.

I guess a must is a Dremel tool with that attachment:

5260_2lg.jpg

Edited by RGGR

In process of drawing-up the string ferrule holes in Autocad. Looking at pic below (of actual ESP Axxion):

String_ferruls_axxion.jpg

I noticed that the ferrules on the left side (bass side) are sightly out of line. Meaning looking from treble side across the TOM the strings follow a parallel path to the ferrules, on the bass side the go slightly in an angle.

Why is this?

And it's not an optical illusion, cause I have more pics from different angles showing same issue.

Edited by RGGR

obviously you have the dimensions on the ferrule spread off if you want them to be in a straght line...(i say obviously but maybe i am wrong)

or maybe you have the string spread at the bridge wrong in the program...

you know...they are not always straight on alot of guitars...sometimes the sweep at an angle...maybe that is to compensate for the size of the ferrules to keep a straight string path...i think that n my rgt though they are straight..but the center strings are in a straight path while they spread a bit on the sides,if you see whati mean

Maybe it's because the ferrules at the back need the extra space?

Even if they needed the room, they could've centered them in relation to the TOM.

Anyway, I'm with biliousfrog... don't duplicate what they did in the factory, because it makes no sense

*so far*, and looks like a crappy mistake.

Edited by levelhead86

it's not factory,it's autocad.

It IS factory......these are pics from an actual ESP Axxion.

See, I'm new to the hole TOM bridge thing. On this guitar I actually will recess the TOM. (everything routed and drilled out,and looking good.) Next stage is drilling the string ferrule holes, and as I know there are plenty of ways of screwing up here....I had drawn everything out in Autocad (based on the 10.4mm string spread on this particular TOM). I did notice the 9.5mm ferrules on the back of the body are almost touching...Something like this would make more sense.

http://www.tdpri.com/build_gifs/BIG/1359053.jpg

When studying the actual Axxion pics I noticed the strange off-set ferrules. I was of the assumption that the strings off the TOM had to follow a parallel path....I guess I can cheat a little by waving out the ferrules a bit, have more room for sunken ferrules in the back of the body.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/ferul_g1.jpg

Will draw me Autocad design and spread them out a little. Thanks for the quick replies.

Edited by Scott Rosenberger
Removed Hotlinked Photos

OMG...that looks so shoddy! Maybe it's because the ferrules at the back need the extra space?....I'd space them evenly though, not like that....I can't think of a reasonable explanation for that.

Maybe for the difference between F-spacing and other guitars ,and they just use a universal template./?

Not that that`s reasonable,but cheaper .

RGGR- I think what you are seeing with the ferules is a couple things. One if they have aligned the ferrules so that they would be spaced based on the strings traveling in straight lines from the nuts spacing through the bridges spacing, before angling the bridge for compensation. After compensation(both bridge placement and saddle) it will skew the string lines a bit passed the bridge. Then take the guitar and turn it so that the high E looks square in the pic(kinda making it look like the Low E is out of square when both strings taper from nut to bridge). There is also break angle on the strings that if the guitar was tipped slightly would make them look a little askew. Kinda sets up an illusion if what I said makes sense.

Peace,Rich

There is also break angle on the strings that if the guitar was tipped slightly would make them look a little askew. Kinda sets up an illusion if what I said makes sense.

After what you said, I dug into google images to find some other shots of guitar......and maybe what you're saying is right......(looking at this pic at least!)

AXXION_9.jpg

Edited by RGGR

Drilled string ferrules holes in back of guitar today.

CIMG3277.jpg

For a first try at this, I couldn't be more pleased. Now I will do some more sanding and re-priming and use my 3/8" router bit to equal out the depth in all of them.....but things are looking good.

Gosh, was I not looking forward to doing this......but in the end it was a walk in the park.

Edited by RGGR