Magma Attack!

Drak

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You like to surprise us, Drak. Suddenly you have lots of projects to show us, and both look great. :D Nothing is routed on this though. What do you have planned for it? Is there a theme for this one, like the blue shredder?

PS. Since everyone else sees a picture in the figured top, I'll share my view too. I see a big cat face on it. :D

Thats just Sick i thought as my jaw hit the floor

did that top come from "area 51" or something

look at it upside down

and it looks like a mushroom cloud from a nuclear explosion WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by spazzyone

DAMN! thats is TEH SEX!! call is "Storm On Jupiter" perhaps?

More like "evil sunrise on jupiter"

Turn your head to the right and you'll see it, the lower bout is ground (perhapse water?) the middle area are some cliffs, and the upper section is the sky (with cloud cover).

Edited by Godin SD

Thanks everybody :D .

It's just a typical stain black/sandback thing.

1. Solar Lux Jet Black with a little water mixed in wiped on the wood.

2. Using a spritzer bottle of water, lightly spritz the top with water then wipe off.

This evens out any possibility of blotchiness and gets the grain rockin'.

3. Let dry, then sand back to taste.

4. Apply 2nd color (which here was 50/50 Cherry Red and Blood Red), wipe on and wipe off quickly.

5. Clear coats.

6. Sand back until level.

7. Apply a light shader burst of Blood Red (Solar Lux).

This is hard to see in the pics since it's almost the same color, you can see it in the link of the closeup

near the bottom, a little darker red burst, nothing extreme tho.

I wanted a gradual fade from center color to the black, you can see it in person better.

8. Apply black edge burst (mixture of Tints All Lamp Black and Solar Lux Jet Black)

9. More clear coats.

10. Let cure and buff out.

I don't know what I'm doing for hardware or pickups yet, I have a set of Lace Hot Gold Strat pkps that have black covers that would look perfect on it, but any double black HB would look just as good I imagine, a set of EMG black covers would go good, but I really have no use for a guitar so equipped, so probably not that, I think the Hot Golds will go in it.

Don't know what hardware or bridge yet, as yet undecided.

Black or Gold hardware would both look good I think, and I never use black hardware, but would at least consider it for this one.

That would work fine for a tobacco burst, but probably not so much for a blueburst, as it has a predominantly reddish brown tint to it.

With a blueburst, you want the -whitest- maple you can find, or bleach it, but not necessary with a tobacco burst, the color of the wood already is similar to the colors you want to use.

Should look great. :D

Thanks Rich. B)

Nothing is routed on this though. What do you have planned for it? Is there a theme for this one, like the blue shredder?

Well, don't be surprised if it winds up with a TELECASTER bridge on it.

Cuz I shooore deww luv me sum o' dem dar TeleeCassters! :DB):D

(...cough cough, aherm..., of course, this would have to be an ~EVIL~ Telecaster with a pretty hot bridge pkp, maybe a Pete Biltoff P-90 kinda thing)

I mean, you DO know Roy Buchanan could summon up the Devil Himself on his '53, right? :D

I think that a tele bridge would cover up too much of the middle burl/nuclear explosion that you have going on there. I personally would try and stay on the minimal side and go with either a wrap around tailpiece or tune-o-matic with strings thru

MzI

I was thinking about that last night and I agree with you, primarily because I think I'm going to wind up using HB's on it, which means using some sort of Gibson-style bridge.

I might flip flop on that call a half dozen times before I actually make a decision, but I do need to decide soon, since if it's going to have any sort of string thru, I need to get them drilled out while I'm still shooting clear coats to get them sealed.

that is the coolest top I have ever seen. its a shame you can't use whatever pickup system they use in the line 6 variaxes, so you could keep the top un-marred. This one has to make you happy, even considering your astronimically high standards.