Magma Attack!

Drak

that is the coolest top I have ever seen. its a shame you can't use whatever pickup system they use in the line 6 variaxes, so you could keep the top un-marred. This one has to make you happy, even considering your astronimically high standards.

That is a really sweet idea! You could always buy a cheap one off ebay and gut the electronics.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drak? Why did you decide to finish guitar before making decisions about pups and bridge? Don't you now run the risk of screw-ups with routing/drilling pup cavities and or bridge studs??

Were you finishing trigger-happy, or do you have unlimited confidence in your drilling/routing abilities???

I thought the rule was that you first route all holes and cavities and then do your finishing. :D

Also know the first rule is, that there are no rules. :D

Drak? Why did you decide to finish guitar before making decisions about pups and bridge? Don't you now run the risk of screw-ups with routing/drilling pup cavities and or bridge studs??

Were you finishing trigger-happy, or do you have unlimited confidence in your drilling/routing abilities???

I thought the rule was that you first route all holes and cavities and then do your finishing. :D

Also know the first rule is, that there are no rules. :D

He has always done it this way. I seem to remember him saying he likes to wait till the last minute to decide what bridge/pickups will work with the design, and obviously his routing/drilling skills are amazing.

He has always done it this way. I seem to remember him saying he likes to wait till the last minute to decide what bridge/pickups will work with the design, and obviously his routing/drilling skills are amazing.

You know, as much as I would HATE to say anything bad about Drak's ability, I have this voice in my head saying "Steve Irwin was good with animals, but look where that got him!". Perhaps this is why Drak WOD's most of his work! B)

Personally, id put Single coils in there for the above reasons, Or id leave it like that and drill it out as a clock :D

Drak is still da man when it comes to finishes tho. :D

Well, yes, I never doubt that I can route a clean straight hole when I need to within reason.

If I can't do that after 12 years, I should just quit now. :D

But nothing I do is what I would call 'amazing'. 'Persistent' would be a better word I think, I just don't give up easily, that's about the extent of my 'amazing' abilities. :D

It's a hobby man. What fun would a hobby be if you had to follow a bunch of steenkin' rules all the time?

It's the freedom I have in the building that I enjoy the most, and not making certain decisions is part of that freedom.

Besides, it's easier to shoot finish and level with nothing drilled or routed, there's no humps, ridges, or bumps around pkp cavities and stuff to worry about, so in one way, it makes it easier, as long as you have good templates, good 2-sided tape, good router bits, etc...and I always will do those steps before the final clearcoats go on to make sure everything gets sealed in, you do have to do that much.

That's easy, double-sided tape. Use it all the time for templates. :D

I'm not talking about carpet tape, I hate that stuff, but the tape you get from Stew-Mac, it peels right up and leaves no sticky residue to deal with (like carpet tape does)

That's easy, double-sided tape. Use it all the time for templates. :D

I'm not talking about carpet tape, I hate that stuff, but the tape you get from Stew-Mac, it peels right up and leaves no sticky residue to deal with (like carpet tape does)

Thanks for the tip. I might have to try it in the future as I can deffinitly see the advantages.

An interesting feature about that tape, it's pressure sensitive, so the harder you press down on it to secure it, the harder it grabs, ala if you put a clamp on top of a template that has beed taped down, it's almost impossible to get it back up, because the more pressure applied, the more grab it has.

Some of us Canucks may get this, it looks like that "A Part of Our Heritage Commerical" where the Iroquois bannish that evil war demon thing into the underworld, that big face in the center kind of looks like the demon, and the grain around it looks like the natives!

I wonder if, you could use a piezo system similar to how gibson did the les paul acoustics with no sound hole. That may keep your nice clean look. My only question after would be because im not familiar with that system is how it would sound through an amp with distortion.

MzI

t's a hobby man. What fun would a hobby be if you had to follow a bunch of steenkin' rules all the time?

It's the freedom I have in the building that I enjoy the most, and not making certain decisions is part of that freedom.

I hear ya. B)

Just interesting to see different people using different methods. Like the Quilted maple on the Satch one. Myka uses completely different technique from you......and still you both arrive at amazing guitars. It's stuff like that, that makes me come back to this forum time and time again.

Live and learn, I guess. :D

:D

Good idea, but It won't bother me any to route pkp cavities in it, I'm not freaking out over the top -that- much to leave out normal pickups and stuff. :D

I think you should've left the guitar as a big rectangle. Just think of all of that top you hacked away to get that shape! And don't get me started on the neck pocket!

Good idea, but It won't bother me any to route pkp cavities in it, I'm not freaking out over the top -that- much to leave out normal pickups and stuff. :D

I think you should've left the guitar as a big rectangle. Just think of all of that top you hacked away to get that shape! And don't get me started on the neck pocket!

you have to remember sometimes less is more

and i think Drak definetly got more with less

it is after all a guitar and playabilty has to be a factor

i could own a $30'000 vintage guitar and i would still play the poop out of it

because thats what its ment to for

but a Variax system would be nice

drak...I came back home and ran up to my computer to look at that top...it's seriously the most kickass thing I've EVER seen. FRAME THE BODY NOW, BEFORE YOU GET ANY DUST ON IT!!!!!

:D

Seriously though, I'd be worried about covering up such unique and amazing grain...you can see so many pictures in it, it's more art than wood!

Cheers,

Nish

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I routed the pickup cavities out, drilled the 6 string-thru and rear ferrule holes, and drilled the pickup wire interconnect holes.

I decided on 3 single coil Strat-style w/ hardtail bridge. Everything came out great.

The choice for the 3 SC's was an appropriate one, it 'looks' right for the guitar, and I can make 3 SC's sound like HB's easier than I can make 2 HB's sound like SC's. I also already have a set of Lace Sensor Hot Golds (6K/6K/13K bridge with black covers) that will suit this guitar perfectly in looks and tone.

I will be blacking out the cavities today I think, pics to follow on how I do that. :D

Then a few more clear coats and she's done and hanging to cure for a somewhere-around-Thanksgiving finish date. :D

• 1 month later...

Drak, please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't feed this one to the WOD if something should go wrong. With sugar on top. :D