How Can I Change The Radius Of A Locking Nut?

Those shims change the nut height not the radius.

If the bottoms of the slots aren't flush with the inside floor of the nut then filing will be okay to lower them, although you'll probably have to shim the nut back up slightly anyway to make up for what you've removed. Refer to any veneers you might have hanging around :-D

What radius do you have, and what are you aiming for? I produced these templates which should help you get closer to your aim although fine setup tuning is best done by hand:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=25269&hl=

Is this an existing guitar or one you have in build? Keep us posted!

If the bottoms of the slots aren't flush with the inside floor of the nut then filing will be okay to lower them, although you'll probably have to shim the nut back up slightly anyway to make up for what you've removed. Refer to any veneers you might have hanging around :-D

What radius do you have, and what are you aiming for? I produced these templates which should help you get closer to your aim although fine setup tuning is best done by hand:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=25269&hl=

Is this an existing guitar or one you have in build? Keep us posted!

I remember hearing that it's bad to file down the nut as it removes the harder outside and the strings will now wear faster?

To be honest, thats a problem with locking nuts :D

I wouldnt go chopping around with trying to change the radius. Just get one that is the right radius. If you start filing away at the nut you'll probably a) wreck it and :D make sharp edges which make the strings go *ping!*

S

A decent quality locking nut is hardened anyway, so you will have a real hard time making much of a dent in it with a file, other than messing up the finish. Plus, you could introduce problems if the shape isn't right all the way back. 10", 14", 15" and 16.9" radius nuts are all pretty easy to find, so you would be better to just start with one that is right.