My First Project

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

How did you find the dremel router base for inlay routing? I can't decide whether to get it or send off to stewmac for the precision router base for the dremel.

Did you rout those out freehand? Much clean-up with sanding/blades after the routing? As others have already said, it's fantastically clean work, so I'd love to know how you did it....especially getting into the sharp corners with a rotating round instrument.

thanks,

Brian.

That dremel base works fine, and yes freehand with the base. No cleanup afterwards, those downcut bits from stew mac work great. The smallest one is so small that it gets in the corners pretty good. I was pretty exited after doing the first star because it was my first attempt at inlay. So i look forward to doing more inlay in the future but next time I will cut my own inlays.

Agreed with the broken mirror cover, hahaha, the guitar shop down the street from me has 2 of 'em. They're pretty sharp *rim shot* But for practicality purposes, it's probably not the best choice.

The inlays came out fantastic, though, excellent job! :D It's the string ferrules that really caught my attention, though. I did a similar placement, using the edge of the Explorer curve to fan the ferrules out. I'm sure it's not the pictures distorting things, but those ferrules are miles away from the bridge! It's just my personal preference, and what works for me might not work for other people.

I can't remember the adage about string throughs, though... I thought it was "the more extra string that you have after the bridge, the more 'loose' the strings will feel when tuned to pitch." Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have design I am going to paint on it that is going to go with the star inlays, the design looks pretty cool but I cant decide if I should show it now or wait till after I paint it. I am really learning alot and am really looking forward to starting a build after this is done. These forums have really helped me in getting this far.

That is dry sanded up to 400 grit, I wiped the dust off with some mineral spirits but that dries quickly so its dry in that pic..

After unclamping this morning frets 12,13 and 14 had lifted a little on one end, I think I used too much epoxy the rest were fine so pulled those 3 out and bent some new frets and used CA and hammered them in and they are better now. Now I just gotta clean up the epoxy that I should have wiped off first. I wiped off the first half but I guess I forgot on the second half, oh well lesson learned just gonna take a little more time for clean up. The frets are level so I just need to clean up and polish them.

You got that replacement piece in there real tight there must not have been much margin to fill around the edges. A professional level repair like that often adds to the look and character of a guitar, especially if you colour match to the surrounding wood. My Iceman has lots of little scars from being knocked off its stand in pubs, having cymbals dropped on it etc, it's a '78, I am guessing yours is around that vintage too.

Edited by Muzz