My Axe So Far!

Well, if you're looking for some opinions, I hate to say it but I think it's kind of ugly and I'd really question the sanity of anyone who'd actually be caught playing on it. The headstock doesn't flow with the shape of the body at all and the body itself looks like some kind of freakish wooden turtle.

I'm sure you've built a solid instrument, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I guess I'm the one they are talking about. Though my guitars are far from being perfect. Just a little hard work is all it takes to get better (and a lot of headaches, and money, did I mention money? LOL). Don't even look at the pics of my first guitar (auccually I've taken them off the web :D:D ) It was pretty ugly indeed. Yours is much much better. My only complaints would be this,

The body looks a little out of proportion, kinda skinny and long, and the headstock doesn't go with the body. That and the upper fret access is the only thing I don't like about it. It's looking sweet though and is a good attempt at a (first?) guitar.

What kind of wood is that? How thick is the body? What bridge/pickups/wiring we're you thinking of?

Edited by Godin SD

The body is really long, as I said before it's about the size of a bass! = P

I'll find a way of making the headstock go with the body better.

And to Godin...

The wood is called Deal... It's softwood, but it's quite hard due to me having it for years.

The body is quite thin, 2 inches at the most. This means it is very light.

I'm having it wired like a Gibson, so I can control both the volume and tone of each pickup separately.

Finally, I'm having 2 humbucking covered pickups on it.

well, if you built the neck, props for doing so on your first. If not, I'm not overly impressed. You've got a body cut out of softwoods. It's got a decent neck pocket (which does take some skill). it still needs pickup routs, a control cavity, and suchlike.

However, I would like to stress one point. PLANNING IS HALF THE WORK. it looks like a turtle, and you find it too big. you won't be able to solo much. it'll be uncomfortable to sit with. it doesn't match the headstock. my first was in planning for several months before I made the first cut for it. now, I still like the plan, it's got amazing access to the top frets, and nice looks.

probably the typical teen desire for instant gratification, but then again, who am I to talk, as I'm just 14.

I'm a little confused, what part are you going to sand to give 'easy' access to the upper frets?

Keep up the good work and keep us informed!

The inner part of the top "horns".

If i where you i would kill at least 2.5" of the inner side of the horns.