Opinions on a bridge?

daveq

I'm planning a guitar with a mahagony body & maple top. I was planning on using a Schaller Floyd in it but I'm not sure now. I'd like the guitar to be able to be used for blues/hard rock/blah blah blah... Something versatile.

I know there are lots of floyd haters out there nowadays (seems to be the hip thing now?) but I'd like some honest opinions if possible.

I looked at the mannmade PRS style trems and choked at the price. Stewmac sells similar bridges:

Wilkinson/Gotoh Vintage style Tremolo Bridge

and

Wilkinson/Gotoh Tremolo Bridge

Does anyone know much about these or other similar bridges? Are they any good? Easy to install? Would I need a neck angle?

Thanks,

Dave

I have absolutely no expertise in .. well, pretty much anything, so feel free to totally ignore this opinion. :D

But have you checked out the Hipshot trems? I've read good things about them - particularly, instead of a knife edge, they pivot on bearings so they're supposed to be really smooth and help maintain stability. I'd think one of those plus some locking tuners might give you some pretty good whammy capabilities without being as cumbersome as a Floyd.

Just my $.02.

I'll look into the hipshot a little more. Roli, can you give me any more info on that golden gate? All I'm getting on google is articles with the golden gate of San Fran with some guitar crap thrown in.

Is the benefit to the hipshot or wilkinson the way it attaches to the body? Other than that, I don't see why they would be much better than a Schaller or other floyd licensed bridge?