Pickup Orientation

MP63

I have a Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker.

Which way is up? :D

The wire comes from the corner.

Is that on the bass side or the trebles side?

The adjustable pole pieces are on the side where the wires come from.

If the pole pieces are against the bridge, the wire would be from the bottom.

The box says it's a NECK pickup (SH-1n '59 Model Zebra).

Thanks.

Mike

Edited by MP63

as one would imagine... the wire comes from the side closest to where your controls are gunna be :D

Chris

Ok, so no polarity stuff or string frequency response funny stuff will happen?

Very well.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Another little handy hint. If you're not ever sure, look at any picture of a guitar with a similar humbucker. You'll see which side the screw poles pieces are facing, and which side the smooth (slug) pole pieces are facing, and then you're golden :D

Chris

The only issue would be that I am using it in the bridge position.

I still place the pole pieces on the outside?

The guitar will be one pickup only.

Mike

Another little handy hint. If you're not ever sure, look at any picture of a guitar with a similar humbucker. You'll see which side the screw poles pieces are facing, and which side the smooth (slug) pole pieces are facing, and then you're golden :D

Chris

The only issue would be that I am using it in the bridge position.

I still place the pole pieces on the outside?

The guitar will be one pickup only.

Mike

Sure. You should be fine with the screw side closer to the bridge. If you want a bit warmer sound just flip it around.

i always wondered what difference it would make turning them round...

what about an EMG style humbucker that has no pole pieces, would it affect the sound if turned upside down?

im using one at the moment and its incredibly trebly..

Edited by deadmike

• 4 months later...

same here,

i have a neck EMG-HZ on the bridge position, so im not sure if i just turned it 180 it will make a difference since i dont see any poles pieces...... where are they, near the EMG signature logo or the other side no logo?

i need more gain tho since its a neck one. should i put it poles facing bridge or poles facing neck?

thanks for the help.

seems like people were getting confused in this thread, turning a pickup 'upsidedown' afaik just means spinning it so the wire is at the top instead of bottom not flipping it so the pole pieces are facing the body, hendrix played his guitar with the strings reversed so its the same effect as turning the pickups round, and yes it does make it sound warmer . if you want a humbucking sound you just need to swap the middle pickups wires round (on a strat style guitar) so when you select posistions 2-4 its humbucking, although the pickups are far apart so it sounds a bit strange.

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

seems like people were getting confused in this thread, turning a pickup 'upsidedown' afaik just means spinning it so the wire is at the top instead of bottom not flipping it so the pole pieces are facing the body, hendrix played his guitar with the strings reversed so its the same effect as turning the pickups round, and yes it does make it sound warmer . if you want a humbucking sound you just need to swap the middle pickups wires round (on a strat style guitar) so when you select posistions 2-4 its humbucking, although the pickups are far apart so it sounds a bit strange.

Simply flipping the two wires on the middle pickup of a Strat will not make it humcanceling with the neck and bridge. What it will do is make it out of phase with the Neck and Bridge, meaning you will have a really thin, weak and nasally sound in positions 2 and 4 and still the normal amount of hum.

In order for the 2 and 4 positions to be humcanceling the middle pickup on a Strat needs to have a reversed wound coil and a reversed polarity magent from the Bridge and Neck. Most modern sets come with this RWRP middle pickup to get humcanceling in 2 & 4.

I should also say that although it's humbucking, the coils are still connected in Parallel, so it's not nearly as hot as a conventional humbucker which has both it's coils connected in series.

You can do custom wiring to connect the middle and neck, or bridge and middle in series and with a RWRP middle this will give you a sound very similar to a full size humbucker. But it will have some quack to it, due to the spacing.

the Middle & neck however, because they are closer and parallel sound especially thick and warm and will give you a very thick sustaining tone, ALA Santana.

I also wanted to add that normally with a two humbucker guitar the screw pole peice coil for each pickup is usually on the outside. Regardless of where this puts the wire.

Many neck pickups, orientated with the screw pole peice on the outside, or neck side, puts the wire in the upper outside corner of the pickup, making it furthest away as possible from where it is to be wired. on new pickup there is usually enough wire so this isn't a problem.

The reason it matters is because the Screw pole coil is generally considered the "primary coil" and in some cases a little hotter than the second coil. Also this coil has the screw poles which are adjustable. Most people don't do it. But technically you should asjust these pole peices like the poles on a staggered Strat single coil to give you the best string balance. And when the pickup is coil split by connect the two union wires to ground, that screw pole coil is the active coil. So it's designed to be in the location to give you the best single coil tone. And staggering the pole peices will give you an even better single coil tone.

If you use a neck version pickup in the bridge location, I would mount it the conventional bridge way with the screw pole peices cloest to the bridge.

Regardless of where this puts the wire.

Edited by TomN

ok thanks, but with that kind of humbucker : emg_81.jpg there arent pole screws inside.... right?

ok read carefully as i explain it to you:

i have a emg-hz that is a neck humbucker.... that means the hotter coil is on the outside (neck side) and logo is closer to the bridge. ok?

if i transfer that SAME humbucker to the bridge without doing a 180, that means the logo is still closer to bridge and screws (if there are any) are closer to the neck.... so do i need to turned it 180 to get a more Hot gain sound cause for now it sounds boomy?

thanks

EMG orients their pickups so that the logo reads correctly. I'm pretty sure they generally use blades in their passives instead of polepieces. It won't matter a whole lot which way it's oriented, if that's the case.

It's not really generally true that one coil is significantly hotter than the other. There are slight differences because they use different types of magnets, etc., sure, but not enough that you'd want to spin that pickup around in order to get hotter performance out of it. Besides that, the closer to the bridge you get, the LESS signal is generated, so even if the 2 coils had significant differences, you'd still want the "hotter" one closer to the neck... in theory... it's really not important, though. I think you're over-thinking things. :D

In any event, if you're not splitting the coils, the individual coil outputs aren't going to matter a whole lot. Unless my brain is totally out to lunch on me, a typical full humbucker has both coils wired in series.

Greg