Dream Guitars........

Brian

Currently what I'm thinking about building would be the ultimate (in my mind) Bastardized Ibanez, Gibson, PRS, Tele and Brian Moore combo :D

RG shaped body with the handle cut out (Jem style).

Book matched quilted maple top on a mahogony back (Ala PRS 10 top).

Gibson Les Paul bridge straddling over 6 grooves cut into the body (Simular to a Jems lion claw).

A semi-deep V cavity cut into the back so that the string ferrules (Ala Tele) can be angled up towards the bridge instead of having them at a 90 degree angle going through the body (got this idea from seeing how Brian Moore guitars have their jack output in the back).

PRS Dragon pickups wired up simular to a Ibanez JPM but with a twist, I will add a 1950-60's Sprague .047uf @ 400 volt capacitor instead of an el-cheapo ceramic one for some killer extra tone.

The set neck will proabaly be mahogony with a bird's eye maple finger board and splined deep into the body like some of the better quality Les Pauls on the market.

LSR locking fine tuners and a roller nut.

I've also been thinking about an all natural tree of life vine going up instead of tradtional fret markers. All made out of different shades and colors of different woods for the inlay.

Top the body with a rich 3D finish in honey yellow with a brown burst around the edge's...........

So whats in your head? B)

For me... I'm not that specific yet. I'm shooting for a combination of sounds first. I have one guitar all humbuckers, and another all single coils. Now, I'm building one of your tele kits. Somehow I'm going to build a hybrid of the sounds between a strat, tele, and a les paul. An all in one guitar.

Keeping all that in mind, I don't want to loose the position of the single coil where it sits near the neck. I'm thinking that I can get up to 23 frets, but no more. The fretboard will probably will be the first of it's ilk.

Then I know neck profile and fretboard radius, string scale. All that is settled. But the rest is what drives me to complete the project. It'll be a one of a kind, whatever it winds up being.

Right now:

Body: Gibson Flying V, rear routed with jack mounted on upper bout ala Jackson Rhodes. Mahogony, quilt maple top

Electronics: H/H PAF Pro, Vol/Vol/Tone with coil taps on the vol switches and a three way LP style toggle switch.

Hardware: Gloss Gold Tone Pros tune-o-matic bridge with matching Schaller locking tuners, graphite nut, gold dome knobs. String thru body.

Neck: Mahogony with ebony neck, shaped similar to that of my Epiphone special which is to say, like a baseball bat with a C/D contour. 24 frets with the suits from a deck of cards alternating as fret markers in gold abalone. The ace of spades marks the 12th and 24 frets. Also flame maple on the headstock. 25.5" scale

Finish: Transparent honey with ghost flames on both the body and headstock.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlexVDL

I am still working on my dream guitar.... it features my own contour body like the chrome kinda guitar at my website.

It will have a PRS kinda carve top. Two humbuckers (Dimarzio steve's special and an air norton). Two volumes and a petrucci 3 way toggle switch. The pickups will be mounted into the body without any mounting rings.

The neck will either be a neck thru or a bolt on... still haven't decided yet. The neck will have a reversed Ibanez headstock and an real abalone jem style tree of life inlay with real abalone binding around the ebony fretboard B)

Of course it will have a Lo pro Edge floyd rose in black! All other hardware will be black.

The whole guitar will be painted in glossy white. The pickups are white too! :D

What do you guys think about it??? Will it be another guitar of the month??? :D

• 1 year later...

Haven't decided on the spape yet but it will be a singlecut.
A thin hollowbody.
Padauk top and back. Possibly mahogany sides. Mahogany-wenge-padauk laminate neck, ebony fingerboard.
Tribal soundholes.
Piezo, midi, HSS setup. Oil finnish on the whole thing.

Soloist or S Series shape

Neck thru, complete access to 24 th fret

Seymour Duncan pickups

Two coil splitters

Three way switch

1 Tone 1 Volume

Floyd Rose or Ibanez tremolo (Can't remember the name, but an awesome trem)

Schaller Tuners

Bound neck

Straplocks

Mahogany back with a cheey burst quilt or flame top

Blue LEDs in the neck

It's half annoying and half cool to follow up on this kind of thing!

That said, my dream bass is the one I have in progress:

Curly maple/pau ferro/curly/pau ferro/curly 5pc. quartersawn neckthru neck, matching curly maple fingerboard

quartersawn (or figured) bubinga wings

headless, with tuners invisibly mounted in back

bass tune-o-matic

G&L magnetic field design bass humbuckers w/ coil taps

35" scale 4 string

This thing will kick ass when it's done, but I'm not gonna rush it. It's my first neck, and my first neckthru, and my first headless, so the design stage is a long process. Don't hold your breath!

dream guitar is the one I am designing right now

7 string Extreme V

-alder and basswood body
-24 fret, 12-24 fretless
-no inlay, only side dots
-mahogany neck with maple fingerboard (to brighten up a bit)
-2 cut outs on the body, (2 in side)
-Humbuckers
-TOM
-BC rich inspired headstock

www.fullservesite.com/curtis/pictures/7 string.JPG

Curtis

P.S. yea, my photoshop skills are pretty poor eh? lol

Curtis

PPS I cant figure out why it aint working, so you will have to copy and paste the link

Edited by Curtis P

[b]Body[/b]Gibson Flying V Basswood. Quilted Maple Top.
[b]Neck[/b]Rosewood fret board. Mahogany Neck. No inlays excpt at the 12th fret. 12th fret inlay is some Mother Of Pearl.
[b]Pickups[/b]EMG 81/85 B)
[b]Hardware[/b]Black Chrome Or Blue Chrome :D Tune O Matic Bridge with stopbar tailpiece. Grover Locking Mini-Tuners
[b]Finsish[/b]Trans. Blue or Satin black

Perrty normal no?

[quote name='skibum5545' date='Aug 25 2004, 08:55 AM'] headless, with tuners invisibly mounted in back
[/quote]
Do you mean mounted in back of the body?

I'm almost finished with a guitar in which I tried that (tuners in back of the body), and because I had two 90-degree string bends between the bridge and the tuners, the pull needed to bring the strings up to tune was too much for the thin B and E strings, they always broke at the tuner before they came up to pitch. The other strings tuned up OK, but the tuners were really tight, you had to really crank on them hard.

In the end, I opted for a guitar with NO tuners, only a fine-tune tailpiece (I'll post it when the finish is finished).

i was thinking about this last night.

Strat style body

ash body maple neck/fretboard

color would be a black burst, with black in the middle and a fringe of deep green towards the edge of the guitar, non transparent.

controls routed from back, and pickup routes for 3 single coils with pickup rings and chrome pickup covers.

fender 2 pt trem

clear plexiglass pickguard like aregular strat pickguard, with enlarged holes for the pickups(due to the rings), and nothing over the controls.

pretty much it...

[quote name='erikbojerik' date='Aug 25 2004, 09:16 AM'] [quote name='skibum5545' date='Aug 25 2004, 08:55 AM'] headless, with tuners invisibly mounted in back
[/quote]
Do you mean mounted in back of the body?

I'm almost finished with a guitar in which I tried that (tuners in back of the body), and because I had two 90-degree string bends between the bridge and the tuners, the pull needed to bring the strings up to tune was too much for the thin B and E strings, they always broke at the tuner before they came up to pitch. The other strings tuned up OK, but the tuners were really tight, you had to really crank on them hard.

In the end, I opted for a guitar with NO tuners, only a fine-tune tailpiece (I'll post it when the finish is finished). [/quote]
Yeah, that's what I mean. I was thinking of resolving this problem by using roller string trees above the body-thru ferrules, where the strings will go through to the tuners, but it sounds like that might not be enough. Do you know where I can get a finetuner for a bass? :D

Bright white Les Paul with golden hardware + bigsby tremolo and 3 custom hand-made pickups (H-S-H positioning). Concentric pots and custom-made wiring.

Oh, and "Jim Rayden Custom Shop" written on the head B)

And an active cab sim built in for straight recording, wich can be turned on/off by a main vol switch pot.

Ok, I don't know about the cab sim... maybe went too far :D

Actually everything except "white les paul" and the cab sim part is going to be included in my current project.

----------
Jimbo

I've been designing a new guitar off and on for a while now... I think I've finally settled on what I want.

-Body shape of my own creation, somewhat Conklin and Fernandes Ravelle inspired
-Neck-thru, 3 pc. maple/bubinga/maple
-Mahogany body wings, 1 3/8" thick
-Flame Maple top, 5/8" thick, with a sharp 3/*8" "carve" (see a Yamaha AES model to see what I mean
-Stained black faux binding on the maple top, 1/4" thick
-Natural finish, slightly darker on the carved portion than on the flat top
-Offset double cutaway, bass bout meets the neck at the 19th fret, treble bout at around the 23rd
-Rosewood fretboard with natural maple binding, 24 frets at the low E to 27 or 29 on the high E (its all for the visual, I want the distance from the bass bout to the end of the fretboard to be the same for the treble bout)
-Somewhat sharktooth-shaped inlay at the 12th fret, maple center with an ebony border
-Reverse Ken Lawrence-esque headstock with matching veneer (I'd just made a headstock that echoed some of the lines in the body... very dissappointed to see that it had essentially been done before :D)
-Logo inlaid into headstock of the same style as the 12th fret inlay, uses the letters CKM (Cory Ker Model, or Music, or whatever)
-Single EMG81 humbucker in the bridge position, mated to a single volume control
-Black hardware (matte if possible), recessed tonepros and string-thru
-Hadn't thought about it until today, but I like the idea Brian posted about creating a recess in the back of the body for the string ferrules so that the strings don't exit the body at such a sharp angle... I'll look into this further.
-Output jack recessed into body in a way I can't describe without pictures... but it makes it easier to feed the guitar around the strap and leave less cord sticking out.

...I think that's about it. Man, I wish I did things as much as I planned them.

Jaguar shaped body (big surprise :D )
Super figured flamed Koa on a Mohogany semi-hollow body, whith maybe some cocobolo sandwiched in between
Maple/Mohogany/Maple/Mohogany/Maple 5 piece laminate neck
Deep-set-tennon neck extending past the bridge
Pao Ferro fretboard with "banjo style" scroly-flowery inlays
25.5 scal length, 24 fret
Hardtail bridge, string through... Might have to steal Brians idea too
Seymour Duncan HBs, maybe Custom Custom in bridge, Jazz in neck
6-way rotory switch giving me easy access to a variety of sounds
Accoustic bridge pickups (maybe one of those Ghost setups?), with a push/pull knob on the volume to switch between accoustic and electric. This way I can play the accoustic then quickly slap the volume knob and be back to electric for the big chours! B)
Locking Planet Waves string trimming tuners
Gold hardware
Either an Oil finish then glossed over, or some sick looking tobaco burst... or somethin...

:D

I think my dream would be the guitar I'm makeing at the moment with a couple of changes:

LP double cut
One of Draks exotic tops (using quilted maple at the mo)
5 piece laminate neck, I think I'd use 2 think bits of maple, 2 thin bits of something really dark and a centre of zebra wood (just using 2 piece maple and 1 piece zebra wood at the minute)
Dark wood inlays (like at the minute)
Gold Hardware (like at the minute) TOM bridge
My own scatter wound pups, 2 No. HB's (well depending how my current ones turn out)
My own truss rod (I bought one this time but I'll make my own next time)
Quite a few knobs, dials, buttons and switches :D (I'm not very good at playing guitar so I need a guitar with toys to play with)

Custom case - still thinking about how best to do this, might be more trouble building one than it's worth and it'll probably cost me more than just buying one but there you go.

While I'm at it:

One of Ansils amps, in a cab that's going to have a quilted maple vaneered front (trying to scrape together the money at the minute).

A box (quilted maple front again) to house all the electronics for the effects pedels that I want to build that will sit under my amp and on top of the speaker cab. This will have all the twiddley bits on for playing with effects levels. A cable will connect this to a a box that will only house the foot switches for the effects.

All labled with my "ToneMONKEY Custom Creations" logo B)

• 4 months later...

[b]Body:[/b] Ibanez RG type, alder (!!), rear routed

[b]Electronics:[/b] H/H system, DiMarzio Air Norton & DiMarzio SS, Volume & Tone pot, 3-way switch, pickups directly mounted

[b]Hardware:[/b] Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo, locking nut, cosmo black color, Schaller keys

[b]Neck:[/b] neck thru body construction, ebony fingerboard, alder neck, neck white binding, pearl star inlays

[b]Finish:[/b] DarkGreen w/ 10cm-(~ 4")-in-diameter red stars over the whole body top, matched headstock w/ white stencil logo.

actually ive been thinking about a doubleneck for a while. im probably gonna build this one too. its pretty much an eds-1275 with all the high class fixtures like gold hardware and abalone inlays. its gonna have a coil tap on the volumes and a phase on the tones. its also going to have no pickguards and a zakk wylde bullseye on it. im going to hollow out cavities in the back to help with the weight issue.

Edited by Meegs666

Shape: Approximately Tele
Body wood: Ash
Neck wood: Birdseye maple with two ebony pinstripes
Fretboard:Stripey Rosewood/Ebony
Neck Joint: Bolt on, with AANJ style chamfering.
Pickups: Two Warpigs (by Bare Knuckle Pickups)
Controls: Master volume, master tone, EMG AB, 3 way switch, coil taps on mini toggle switches
Scale Length: 26 inches
Hardware: Black. Hipshot 6 string bridge. Schaller 6 in line with Ebony buttons.
Finish: Dark Blue to black burst.
Body Depth: 30-35mm
Headstock: Fender style 6 in line. Possibly ebony faced.

This, for now, is my dream guitar.

Cool thread idea!

Mine-

Body- White Korina offset Flying V- Like a traditional V, but with a smaller lower wing. Not pointy like a Rhoads but rounded, again, like a regular V. No pickguard.

Neck-Maple, thin shredder profile, Explorer-style banana headstock. Rosewood board, trap inlays, wyldbil logo on headstock

Finish- Trans cherry

Bridge- Floyd, hence the maple neck

Electronics- One pickup- DiMarzio X2N, with just one volume knob, push/pull coil tap

Recessed Dunlop strap locks