Guitar Combinations

Mickguard

You know I usually play a Strat, but I have humbucker equipped guitars too--and I've been playing my partsotele a lot lately. The other guy mainly plays Gibsons, with a PRS or Hamer thrown in for good measure, but he also has a Strat and just got a 69RI Thinline Tele (the MF one with the flames).

We play mostly blues and classic rock, and I've noticed more and more that it really doesn't matter which guitars we play, he sounds like him and I sound like me. Good or bad, like it or don't, put us together and make one good one. :D

Really, if you listen to a lot of music (old and new) you'd be hard pressed to tell what those guys are playing. But you already knew that, didn't you?

I'M going along with godin sd and what is said about guitars sounding different depending on the amp and how it is set up. there are so many different ways to set up amps it not funny.

I know your question is about the choice of guitar but spend some time with your amp and getting the most it will give you.

a good feeling guitar is a must no dought

I use everything strats, tele,and prs all play a part in the gig.

some gigs a strat work all night then other times a tele is the wepon of choice

if you other guitar player plays a les paul all the time I say a strat or tele wound have a nice fit. if your playing rock stuff, slightly country flavored the combination between the les paul and strat/tele I say would be way cool.

My favorite combination depends on what the 2 guitarists are doing. If they are swapping solos then I'd like to hear some variety. I like listening to the Allman Brothers for that very reason. Warren Haynes playing slide on a strat and Dicky Betts being mellow with an ES-335 or LP, can't beat that combo. :D

Edited by Southpa

Acoustic rhythm with electric lead sounds good for a lot of country/rockabilly stuff.

One of my favorite combos was in Tex Rubinowitz' band, which was hard core rockabilly, using an acoustic rhythm, and a hollowbody electric (Gretch?) for leads, -love- that Sunn sound for the old stuff. :D

I think to be honest, as long as the two guitar sounds are different enough to be heard as two guitars it doesnt matter. Unless of course you're playing the same thing and want a wall of sound effect... hmmmm...

just borrow as many axes as you can and try them all in a band situation. then you'll know what sounds best with the other gear you have.

S

Well, yeah, usually I agree with that. Except, it's kind of hard to miss the sound of a strat.

Not really, close your eyes listen to any Iron Maiden song and tell me you know it's a strat they are playing!

:D especially some of the old stuff where one of the guitarists had an Ibanez Destroyer

B) oh and some of the new stuff where they're using les Pauls and god knows what else!

:D:D

For the most part me and the lead player in my band use pretty simelar guitars, i play Epi les Pauls and he uses a LTD Eclipse with EMG's loaded in it. Now he has a Schecter Syn standerd and ive got my 7 string Ibanez. The only theme here being that there all twin humbucker guitars. We sound differant due to the gear, he uses a spider 2/12 and i use various marshall amps that i borrow.

In the studio i have used strats for some of the work, one track has a tele in it. Its quite hard to say what will work with what you just got to try it out for yourself, youl find somthing that will stick.

:D especially some of the old stuff where one of the guitarists had an Ibanez Destroyer

B) oh and some of the new stuff where they're using les Pauls and god knows what else!

The Destroyer rarely went out, and most of the time was in concert, and also for the LP's now, and this is Adrian Smith, Dave use strat, i would say 95% of the time.

I will have to check on my old LP's to see if they say what guitar was used on what songs but I doubt it. Anyway, if you look at the few Maiden concert videos, you will see Fenders on all 3 (and 4 with the new Maiden) players.

The Destroyer rarely went out, and most of the time was in concert, and also for the LP's now, and this is Adrian Smith, Dave use strat, i would say 95% of the time.

I will have to check on my old LP's to see if they say what guitar was used on what songs but I doubt it. Anyway, if you look at the few Maiden concert videos, you will see Fenders on all 3 (and 4 with the new Maiden) players.

Yeah Adrian plays an LP and the destroyer still a little. Dave and Janik always use strats. Whose number 4 (has bruce picked up a fiddle too?)

You got me there maiden69!

I forgot to weaigh in on the topic. I am partial to having offsetting sound sin a badn with 2 guitarists. Meaing if my other guitarist is playing a paul or sg or some other similar sounding set neck humbucking guitar I like to play a strat or tele. And Vice Versa. I played a gig this weekend where the other guitarist used his strat the whole time and I played my sheraon II exclusiveley and was REALLY pleased with the resulting sound. Its not just a tonal thing either. Alot of times what I am playing dictates how I play. I tend to get a more "bop" like approach to how I comp when I play my sheraton than I do when I am strumming away on a strat or tele. It also has an effect on how I solo too. Course that could just be becasue I am a poser!