New Design

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy joe, that guitar is just SICK! hooglebug, you are a space alien. this guitar is officially one of my all time favourites, along with the marleaux-pagelli golden fretless and the PRS limited edition twin dragon double neck. you've given me the kick up the arse i've needed to get down to building my own stuff, after years of procrastinating.

can't wait to see how this one turns out. great stuff, keep going.

how did you come up with the stain? did you just mix the stains or did you do it in layers?

Wooden ones in a very similar shape here:

http://www.axesrus.com/axenob.htm

Just as an idea...I found some cool cabinet knobs that could be modified with minimal effort:

http://www.interknobs.com/cgi-shopper/sear...e=template1.htm

http://www.interknobs.com/cgi-shopper/sear...e=template1.htm

iv been bored tonight so iv designed a single cut and a bass - so now i have a 'range'!! hehe. no money to make them, and not even sure if the one im doing now is even gonna sell or not, but o well.

this is the single cut version

061230_014906.jpg

looks like a cross between the one im doing now and the mattocaster i know, but i like it. if this one sells i think im gonna do this next. although iv never done a bass so maybe that one. hmmmmm.

061230_014922.jpg

someone earlier on this thread (or another where it is i cant remember) mentioned about using the wave as a thumb rest on a bass, so i went with it here and tried to do something that could be used that way while also not being too intrusive if you use a pick. this might have a flat body or carved the same as the two guitars. who knows.

any feedback on those two would be welcome. i should patent them!!!!! hehe.

as for the 'desiree', iv sprayed the back a very dark pearlescent blue. i'll just have to wait until the clear coats gone on to see what it looks like with the rest of the guitar. there'll be pics as soon as its presentable.

Edited by hooglebug

iv been bored tonight so iv designed a single cut and a bass - so now i have a 'range'!! hehe. no money to make them, and not even sure if the one im doing now is even gonna sell or not, but o well.

this is the single cut version

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h284/hoo...1230_014906.jpg

looks like a cross between the one im doing now and the mattocaster i know, but i like it. if this one sells i think im gonna do this next. although iv never done a bass so maybe that one. hmmmmm.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h284/hoo...1230_014922.jpg

someone earlier on this thread (or another where it is i cant remember) mentioned about using the wave as a thumb rest on a bass, so i went with it here and tried to do something that could be used that way while also not being too intrusive if you use a pick. this might have a flat body or carved the same as the two guitars. who knows.

any feedback on those two would be welcome. i should patent them!!!!! hehe.

as for the 'desiree', iv sprayed the back a very dark pearlescent blue. i'll just have to wait until the clear coats gone on to see what it looks like with the rest of the guitar. there'll be pics as soon as its presentable.

You'd have to make sure not too make the wave on the bass too large, though, or else you may have problems as far as bridge and neck height go.

It's a pretty good idea though, just a suggestion though, extend the wave a little more toward the bridge so that there's a better range of spots to play along.

Edited by Hunter

yeah it would have to be thought out a lot more and little tests done and stuff i guess. maybe i should concentrate on getting this one finished and sold first, cos if that doesnt happen then none of the others will!

oh, the blue back really didnt go with the front so its just gonna be black

still havent painted the back yet. getting some paint tomorrow so it'll be done over the weekend. got some of the parts today - pu rings, knobs etc. so i put them on to see what it'll look like. i ended up going with abalone topped tele knobs - they match the top well. i also put a brass insert into the headstock where the string slot was for the g string. the wood had cracked and i think as soon as you began tuning the string it would have popped through the wood.

here's some pics. (and yes, i know the pickups arent straight, they're not screwed down)

P1051320.jpg

full length

body1

body2

body3

Edited by hooglebug

dammit, why didn't I keep my big mouth shut...that thumb rest idea was brilliant :D

I'm glad that you're going with a black back, I know that sometimes you just have to try something to see what it'll look like but when you mentioned the blue I was like "Yuck!"...black will look very nice me thinks.

Can't wait to see it finished, you're doing a great job :D

I really love how this is turning out