Decembers Gotm Discussions

Oh boy, what a choice for the festive season. I am drooling over these exquisite creations, how to choose between Skelf's superb bass and Wezv's beauty and the gorgeous prs-alike? Some simply stunning work there, both humbling and inspiring, wish I had half the talent and the patience of you guys, good luck to you all!

I don't really like any of them...

NOT hahaha

Pukko, you ROCK. That guitar is awesome. The finish looks well done, all the little details (jack plate anybody? :D ) look well done. The design just works so well. The 1 thing I don't like is the color of the neck as opposed to the body. I would have liked the two pieces of mahogany to be the same color.

Props to ya :DB):D

Edited by Godin SD

I don't really like any of them...

NOT hahaha

Pukko, you ROCK. That guitar is awesome. The finish looks well done, all the little details (jack plate anybody? :D ) look well done. The design just works so well. The 1 thing I don't like is the color of the neck as opposed to the body. I would have liked the two pieces of mahogany to be the same color.

Props to ya :DB):D

Thank you very much! That makes me really happy! I have to clarify one thing though, the neck is made of maple. Both the maple neck and mahogany back is stained with the same colour, I was trying to make the maple look like the neck on my Vintage Reissue Strat. I got pretty close, though it looks too orange in the photo of the back... I didn't think I would be able to stain the two different wood types to the same colour, that would also have looked good.

Man WezV's axe is deadly and Perrys star is really fun looking thats one cool guitar

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Wow spoilt for choise this month... every one looks fabulous i wouldnt mind owning any of them.

Skelf - Love the wood choices and the details with the lams and matching headstock. Only thing i would do differently is add something to the fretboard its screaming for an inlay of somekind.

WezV - I like the laminate in the scarf joint adds a nice touch to it just not a huge fan of the body shape seems bulky and a little plain compared to the others.

Marcovis - Love the colour of the top and that is an awsome looking carve. Wish the neck matched the body as i like my necks to match the body. Inlay work looks top notch!

Pukko - wow... the attention to detail is fantastic its a really nice design and all the small details really set it off. again to agree with Godin i would have prefered a matching neck to the body and that would have made it perfect!

rogerabjet - kool idea not something i would personally go for but suits the surfer and the waves lapping onto the fretboard is a nice touch.

perry - Your work is always a pleasure to see always done to a very high standard and i like the hotrod look.

croaticum - looks nice and clean. love the touch of having the Dominator written on the heal just seems outa place trying to compare it to the other styles here. but great work.

Ok they are my views on all of em. but still dont know who im gonna go for... its a tough one!

T

Man, everytime I start to feel good and confident about the progress I am making on my builds the GOTM entries start showing up to knock me down a few notches! Nice work guys, there are some seriously good looking guitars (and bass) in the mix this month. Right now though, I think I am feeling the love for Pukko's. Very cool and tastefully done my man.

Cheers

Greg

WezV - I like the laminate in the scarf joint adds a nice touch to it just not a huge fan of the body shape seems bulky and a little plain compared to the others.

I agree with you about the body shape - i have been calling it 'the stumpy one' :D It doesnt quite have the style of the first guitar i made with this shape.

14.jpg

I guess its all in the horns!! :D

It does sound fantastic though and obviously the wood is much nicer in real life and adds a lot of interest.

I certainly wont mind loosing to any of the entries this month, (although i aint gonna pretend i dont want to win B) )

Great guitars this month. It's always so hard to choose.

But I am in love with Pukko's guitar. It is just beautiful. It really captures that look I love; the combination of a tried and true "player's" guitar with the really pretty, detailed ones that you see on PG that look like they ought to be in a display case. I could see myself rocking out with it (*hint* *hint* B)).

How does it sound anyway? I've heard a lot of people don't really like the dream 90's, but I am curious what you think.

Anyway, some amazing workmanship this month. I hope I can build like the rest of you guys someday :D:D

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Pukko - wow... the attention to detail is fantastic its a really nice design and all the small details really set it off. again to agree with Godin i would have prefered a matching neck to the body and that would have made it perfect!

Thanks! I'll do the next one (if there ever will be...) with a mahogany neck!

Lord-of-the-strings Posted Nov 23 2006, 03:14 AM

Pukko's does it for me

Thank you!

Hydrogeoman Posted Nov 23 2006, 07:12 AM

Right now though, I think I am feeling the love for Pukko's. Very cool and tastefully done my man.

Thanks to you too!

CrazyManAndy Posted Today, 04:34 AM

But I am in love with Pukko's guitar. It is just beautiful. It really captures that look I love; the combination of a tried and true "player's" guitar with the really pretty, detailed ones that you see on PG that look like they ought to be in a display case. I could see myself rocking out with it (*hint* *hint* ).

How does it sound anyway? I've heard a lot of people don't really like the dream 90's, but I am curious what you think.

Thanks a lot! Well, I guess it sounds kind of like what I expected, very fat singlecoil tones. It's a little brighter than I thought it would be, I guess it's the maple speaking... I forgot to write about the wiring in the GOTM thread and that one is locked now, so I'll do it here:

Neck and bridge pickups have one volume control each and a tone control that works on all pickup selections. A Les Paul-style three-way switch and a push-pull switch on one of the volumes give these options:

With the push-pull down, the three-way switch works like on a Les Paul (neck, neck/bridge, bridge pickup). When the push-pull is up, the middle pickup is added to whatever pickup combination is selected, giving neck/middle, neck/middle/bridge and middle/bridge combinations too.

I haven't tried the Dream 90's in any other guitar, and I haven't tried any other pickups in this guitar, so it's hard to compare with anything else. I like them in this guitar, though I've been toying with the idea of putting a Dream 180 in the bridge position for heavier distorted tones.