The World's Funnist Guitar Virtuoso...

Southpa

That's both impressive and disturbing! B)

Tenacious D is funny, but their playing kinda makes Kurt Cobain and Stephen Stills look like Vai and Satch by comparison, doncha think? :D

Greg Koch ("rhymes with chalk") and Mike Keneally (Vai, Zappa, Beer For Dolphins) are both clever, quirky and very accomplished players. Greg's Blues Jam Guy (from the Radio Free Gristle CD) is a perfectly hilarious description that anybody who's ever spent time at a Blues Jam will recognize, right down to vintage gear and the random, "wasp-on-crack" vibrato. Keneally is somewhat less accessible, more Zappa-esque (if you will), but well worth a listen. His Yes tribute song (Fathful Axe, from Boil That Dust Speck) has 41 separate Yes "quotes" sprinkled throughout, spawning a Yes fan challenge to identify them all! :D (That geeky enough for ya?) :D

I liked that Mike Rayburn video. He was good at playing guitar, he was good at being a comedian, and he was able to be funny without having to hide his talent under layers of profanity. Sorry, but that Tenacious D clip was a little too obscene for me. :D

Just my opinion though.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Mike Rayburn a virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination. Interesting to watch once, a little cringe-worthy in places but I wouldn't buy the season ticket :-D

Good for him I say. Tenacious D? Light-hearted and fun, and it's nice that rock can dig itself in the ribs for a few laughs!

Maybe not a virtuoso, but I guarantee that anyone who has actually studied classical guitar and got his undergrad degree (as he claims to have, I'm assuming he's telling the truth) is probably better than 90% of guitarists out there, at least in technical ability.