Strong £ = Cheap Guitar Parts?

Just wanted to let people in the UK know that the pound is currently at 1.93 against the US dollar which is the highest that it has been for years & is predicted to reach $2 - £1.

What does that mean?....well in basic terms, if you see something in the US for $50 it equates to just over £25. There'll be shipping charges & probably taxes & duty on top but you could get some real bargains.

:D

While I agree with your sentiments around the price of the dollar, and there is no better time than now to buy from the US, I would question the fact that you are inciting fraud.

Yes, we'd all love not to pay tax or import duty, but that is the law. Anything else is illegal, and I really wouldn't start suggesting it on a public messageboard.

While I agree with your sentiments around the price of the dollar, and there is no better time than now to buy from the US, I would question the fact that you are inciting fraud.

Yes, we'd all love not to pay tax or import duty, but that is the law. Anything else is illegal, and I really wouldn't start suggesting it on a public messageboard.

Not to mention is directly effects the exchange rate (the wrong way) making it fall the way we dont want it to, effectively raising prices again...

I'm sure that if you had to pay 20.9% on everything that you got from a certain country the hand would be on the other foot so to speak !

Jem :D

I'm sure that if you had to pay 20.9% on everything that you got from a certain country the hand would be on the other foot so to speak !

Is that all you guys have to pay?? I might move to the UK then... closer to the USA, so even the postage rates should be cheaper...

Is that all you guys have to pay?? I might move to the UK then... closer to the USA, so even the postage rates should be cheaper...

but surely being closer to china, japan, korea etc. you're actually closer to the source of most guitar related stuff ...therefore, you probably get stuff cheaper anyway?

but surely being closer to china, japan, korea etc. you're actually closer to the source of most guitar related stuff ...therefore, you probably get stuff cheaper anyway?

Sure, if you want to buy a minimum of $50,000 of one model of tuners or bridge, in one specific colour...

I'm sure most people on here in the UK have bought stuff from the states at one time or another. If we dont get charged for import tax, then oh well! that's the way i see it. Its not illegal to import things, the item comes in with a customs declaration sticker on it, if the guys in mount pleasant choose not to charge you import tax (no doubt cous the amount is usually so small its not worth them bothering) then fair enough i say.

And yes, it is the way to do it. If you shop around dimarzio pickups are under 60 dollars with 5-6 dollars shipping. thats literally half the price they are over here if you dont get stung. I for one think thats worth it :D

S

You're allowed to bring goods in under a certain value. From my experience, that value is fairly flexible--it really depends on who's doing the shipping.

When it's from a private individual, it's less likely to be taxed. When it's from a business, it's more likely to be taxed.

Shipping method matters too-- I've always had good luck with Air Parcel Post, even when it's coming from a business (a friend just received 500 euros of parts from Stewmac --and paid no customs fees!). I've had entire guitars shipped to me with no incident.

On the other hand, First Class nearly always causes me problems, even when it's just the folks sending gifts to my kids.

As the recipient of the package, you are not responsible --there's no fraud involved.

On the other hand, I earn dollars...and spend it all in euros. In other words, I've taken a 20-30 percent wage cut over the last four years. We're talking many tens of thousands of dollars lost. Down the drain. Thanks George!

I got a set of "Kerry King" EMG 81/85's from the US for substantially less than they cost here. $240 as opposed to £250. That, and a Kahler trem system (not available here yet anyway).

Customs and Excise decide whether import duty has to be paid - when I picked the packages up from the post office I got charged import duty on the pickups, but not the trem unit. Kahler forgot to put in the string lock and re-sent it seperately, but marked as $0 on the packaging to avoid extra tax. Even with shipping charges I saved a couple of hundred pounds. It's not illegal and there's nothing wrong or immoral about it.

If companies didn't try to rip-everyone off here in the UK we wouldn't need to order from abroad. It's the same as the story with official parallel car/bike imports. Eventually the manufacturers had to drop their official prices because so many people started to buy imports. At one point a few years ago Triumph motorcycles (made in Hinckley, England) were more expensive here than they were in the US (£7000 / $5999 ) !!!

Vote with your wallet - they can only charge what you're prepared to pay :D

I got a set of "Kerry King" EMG 81/85's from the US for substantially less than they cost here. $240 as opposed to £250.

didn't happen to be off of ebay did they? If so I've probably brought an 81 off the same guy..even with postage I'm saving at least £20 (which I used to buy a mighty mite MB in white which arn't even available in the UK for £16 including postage!)

I think its fair enough to buy things from the US if the exchange rates are good. Its not just guitars and cars and stuff like that that are more expensive clothes are increadably cheeper in the US compared to the UK.

I live in London you idiot.

And i'm suppossed to know that - how about filling in your profile dick for brains !

Maybe you guys both from the UK could have a duel at dawn to sought out your differences :D