Bummer...

Hey...

Did some stupid things to my fretboard today, as I was trying to thickness it slightly, at the same time as sanding the inlay flush...

I'm not going to go into details about what I did wrong, I know, and learned from it.

It ended with me having to sand away the entire inlay to get it level again, and now I'm left with a fretboard that is about 4mm thick. Can I still use it, or is it too thin now? I just want to ask before I start doing too much work with it again, like routing a new inlay cavity and so on... So, 4mm thick fretboard blank, is it doable? I'm going for 16" radius on it, so I don't think that it will turn out too bad, but will it be strong enough against the trussrod and so on..?

thank you!!

i have a stellar idea for you...laminate a piece under it to put it back to the right thickness,then go from there...if it is a maple fretboard you could use ebony laminate for contrast...with rosewood or ebony you could use maple...or you could just use the same wood to match and put binding around the fretboard to hide the line.

4mm is OK, provided you chunk up the neck to compensate. Or, like Wes said, adding a constructional veneer and binding the board bring it back to the right thickness without anyone knowing ('cept us :D )

You then have to refer to this as a 'feature' and you can even have fun thinking up reasons why you 'intended' to do it in the first place!

You then have to refer to this as a 'feature' and you can even have fun thinking up reasons why you 'intended' to do it in the first place!

Sort of reminds me of what someone said about dealing with how to recover from hitting the wrong note in a song. Do it a couple more times and everyone will think its jazz! :D

Hand made guitars have 'Mojo' on account of the blood, sweat and tears invested by the maker.

By cocking up steps and repeating them, you generate more blood, sweat and tears, ergo more mojo. That's why I deliberately cock up so often - it's all extra mojo :D

Hahaha, that's basically the idea behind my signature. Of course, I've only made one guitar thus far... And THAT isn't even completed...

But on the plus side, I ****ed up so many times, there's gotta be almost 2x the mojo of a normal guitar in there :D

::EDIT::

RE: Supernova9 - Check over at Roman's place.

(I don't think I'll ever pass up an opportunity to take a jab at that man.)

Edited by Xanthus

Sort of reminds me of what someone said about dealing with how to recover from hitting the wrong note in a song. Do it a couple more times and everyone will think its jazz! :D

I also heard of this one, hehe, a guy played the wrong note on his guitar, and thought let's do the same until the verse is finished, and then a guy in the audience went like: "Hey, that guy played the same mistake three times!!!!"

Maybe jazz makes it easier to hide... lol

Edited by Unrealize

I once heard someone say, "there's no such thing as a wrong note, there's only a poor choice of note"

I guess that the same thing could be said of guitar making....there's no such thing as the wrong wood, pickup, tuners, frets, pots, paint...etc, just a poor choice.

I that case I think I'm going to make a plexi body with a graphite neck, maple fretbaord, mis matched inlays and what ever hardware I can find laying around.

What p-up's you ask? an EMG and a lipstick both reverse wound.

:D:DB)

is it sad that I almost want to make that, just so I can burn it

LOL - All of my guitars have "features." Here is a recent one. The purpleheart is placed near the nut perpendicular to the neck axis thereby minimizing torsional stresses that may occur in this area of the neck. Or something like that :D

3TARpeghead.jpg