what's wrong with korean guitars??

Elton

Acoustics are their own beast wood is what its all about there. I love my tacoma road king. I never knew the difference until i started playing a friends breedlove...

Ignorance is bliss you may want to take the blue pill and save cash

My theory on electric guitars is play them unplugged. The pickups only amplify whats already there. Then start plugging in. On top of playing them id look at fret finishing, parts fit, finish etc... Again ignorance can be bliss once you play a perfectly setup guitar everything else isnt so great.

As i've said before ive picked up cheep guitars from a great store(Elderly) that they set up and checked that are just as well set up as my custom shop strat...

i have a korean ibanez SZ, the black one like marty friedman has. i think its fine, i changed pickups, but that's it. i think it's the guitar, and how it touches you, not the area in which it was made.

hey

i don't mind korean made guitars. well at least they build them better than japanese Jacksons. i think LTDs and Epiphones are above satisfactory. they don't compare to the real thing, but they are great for affordability. if you change the stock pick ups and shield the electronics, it should be sweet axe. ---> buy as many axes as you can when you go to Korea :D .

you can tell where production made Ibanez guitars are made by what pick ups are in them. guitars with infinity pick ups are korean made, but if they are V pick ups, it is made in japan. some korean made Ibanez guitars even have power sound pick ups.

Page.

Hi guys

I own 3 ltd´s, 2 ibanez RG´s, a fender strat, a harley benton 7 string($130 new) and a harley benton les paul and they are all made in korea.they sound good but the setups are not good and you can see that they need new hardware because of wear now and again.I would rather buy a good custom or usa built guitar but as long as the cash is not there better a cheap guitar than none at all

i have an american jackson, and a korean one. i like them the same. both are dinkys. one with emgs, and one without. both killerr insturments.

The RG7420/1 is Japanese, not Korean.

sorry mate, you're wrong on that one. mullmazer is right.

90's Koreans were pretty bad, but now the're OK. I've played RG 7421 and it is descent, I might say, good axe. Naturally, the trem is poorer than thea GREAT EDGE trem but ... generally, OK.

See: Ibanez Parts Lists - also tells you were the axes are made.

Page.

i thought i saw someone say it makes that korean beasty look like a american beauty. what does he mean?

Ok, im the culprit here.

All i ment was that the Fender lot wouldnt even dream about putting those guitars in to manufactor in Korea, as it looks like a full custom job from the custom shop , and not a cheaply made Korean guitar.

Ok im not saying Korean guitars are bad (i play them myself, because i cant afford any others!) it is just that they are of a slightly lower quality, though the quality has started to get a lot better now!

Oh, and incase anyone was wondering, the comment was directed at BeAR's Acousticaster or whatever the hell he called that beautiful strat.

Anyway, sorry if I caused any friction about Korean Guitars.

Matt- Korean Guitar Maestro (i wish)

:D

I'm not sure if I've ever owned a Korean guitar. But I did own a Squier Strat that was made in Indonesia. Man, that thing SUCKED

i've got an squier affinity strat and it has its uses, like a doorstop, pooperscooper and of course kindling....but seriously it handles **** loads of FX without getting muddy and has a great neck

dan

i thought i saw someone say it makes that korean beasty look like a american beauty. what does he mean? i saw a couple on my visit there (im korean) and they dont look that bad, as a matter of fact i bought a acoustic there for 100 bucks

My 2 cents:

I really think you have to take price into account when evaluating the quality of a guitar. It's not fair to compare a Korean, a Japanese and an American guitar on equal terms when they cost $400, $800 and $1200 respectively. Ibanez turned to Korea when Japanese labor costs became too high to produce for the mass market. The guitars that are still made in Japan are $800 or more, and they're very nice.

I think that Korean guitars are technically very well made for the price, amazingly good actually. The workmanship, fit and finish are all very good. The parts may be on the cheep side, but acceptable. They've really come a long way in the past 15 years. And their quality control is very good, not like Current american offerings that are basically a crap shoot (I've seen $3,500 Gibsons that I wouldn't pay $300 for - don't get me started! :D )

Now Korean labor is getting expensive, and the big companies are turning to countries like China and Viet Nam for their production.

My only complaint about the Korean guitars I've owned it that, although they look great, they just don't play quite as nicely as the older Japanese and American guitars. This is subjective, and possibly not important for a beginner, but the old (15-30 year old ) Japanese guitars are just looser and more musical feeling to me. So when I buy Ibanez, I turn to the used market where you can usually get a fine Japanese made model for the same price as a new Korean one.

-Sven

oooops

i read the guitar name wrong, i thought we were talking about the RG7321 <--- now that is Made in Korea. :D see, mullmazer got confused and so did I.

Ibanez Guitar Parts

Page.