A Strat-like Guitar And An Sg-like Guitar

Rick500

Ouch Rick, I see that split, sucks. Was that one matched up, I mean was it actually cut from that spot or another piece/area of the mahog? It really looked like it fit there, grain/color wise. Hopefully the new one will work out also. On my zebrawood body, I need to thin it just about shy of 3/8" and I am going to route it out all around except the cover area, then saw it off to make the cover match up as close as possible. I think I saw setch do this and I thought it was a good idea. Anyhow, best of luck with the new cover and get us pics of it when done. Its really a great looking project man, nice stuff. J

Nah, no big deal, the cover was from a cutoff from a completely different piece of mahogany. I tried to match it up as well as possible. I can just take another slice off the same piece I cut the first one from.

Good luck with yours...I saw pics somewhere of that process. If I had a thick enough body blank I probably would've tried it too. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Got the body done today, ready for final sanding and finishing (exception: I still need to drill for the magnets that will hold on the control cavity cover).

All the wiring channels were a little nerve-wracking, with those really long drill bits. Came out fine though. I'll be more confident next time.

body_w_controls.jpg

Wow, very nice! The whole thing look very clean and well, perfect. What type of jack is that? Tough to see from here. I've been looking at getting the flush mount jacks or the switchjack Endpin jacks(StewMac for pics), I think they look pretty cool. Anyhow, very nice stuff Rick can't wait to see how this looks finished! It already looks so nice and clean. Best of luck. J

Very Nice! I like those a lot. Definately what I plan on using on my current project. Fairly easier to install and plan for? Anything I need to watch out for installing them. Seems straight forward enough. Very nice and looks great on your project! J

Very Nice! I like those a lot. Definately what I plan on using on my current project. Fairly easier to install and plan for? Anything I need to watch out for installing them. Seems straight forward enough. Very nice and looks great on your project! J

Nope, nothing to look out for really... Just drill a 15/32" (1/2" would work) hole and make sure you have a flat spot to tighten the nut against in the control cavity.

Thanks. This is my first one built from scratch, and I'm going slow and being as meticulous as possible. I've learned a bunch from building this one.

I'm going to do a Tru-Oil finish on it. I'm going to wet sand with Tru-Oil to fill the grain, as a couple people suggested.

I'm just about ready to start sanding and finishing... just have to get the nut installed and slotted, and build a couple of mahogany humbucker rings (I may even make wood covers for them...was thinking walnut with a maple stripe might be cool).

I put a divot in the headstock to neck transition while using a sanding drum with a handheld drill (dumb), so I'm still deciding how to fix that. I can't really put a headstock overlay on it as-is, since now I have a not only curved, but curved and irregular surface. I'm thinking I might be able to just take the thickness of the whole headstock down to the lowest level of the "error" and put a relatively thick mahogany overlay on it.

Sounds familiar... :D

Heh... I just went back and read your thread.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, except walnut on the outsides and maple in the middle. (Mainly because I already have a big enough piece of scrap in that configuration and I already know it looks cool. :D )

Well, I hope you're as happy with your pickup covers as I am with mine. :D In my case, I have to say, making it was far more time consuming than I had anticipated. Of course this may have been in part due to unorthodox tools, and being sidetracked by a nasty beltsander injury, etc, etc. But I certainly put a lot more time into it than I thought I would. However, they will certainly be that extra little custom touch that will put your build over the top. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I just crossed my fingers and checked the first post to see what finish you are using, and was relieved to find out that you plan to oil it :D

It looks great in the pic and I imagine will look even nicer when oiled

Keep up the good work!

• 3 months later...