Newbie In On The Guitar Build Off, Some Stats Too!

RMS

Hi Folks, I am new to guitar building and also not to mention the basic "RULES" or do's and dont's of this build off coming soon. What I would like to find out is 1) will I have to cut my own fret slots? I am still in on this either way I was just wondering. 2) what specialty tools will I need, I am not talking router or belt sanders these basic power tools I already have.

I did some tallys on the guitar build off poll also:

14 people entered, and voted below for these shapes/guitars:

8 votes for the LP

7 votes for the Tel.

6 votes for the PRS

6 votes for the Expl.

5 votes for the strat

2 votes for the SG

1 vote for the Arctop

1 vote for the V

Happy Holiday Everyone!

If you are a newb, DO NOT enter the comp. Why do you want the added pressure of a competition on top of trial and error, or learning, when building your first guitar. You are asking REAL basic questions, yet wanting to compete against guys who have proven they can build a nice looking instrument. Let them compete, and just you worry about building SOMETHING rather than competing.

Hopefully there is a rule which states only known members can join in.

Yep I am a newb also so its not time for this yet. I am doing a restore job and am picking up the tools as I go a leaning as I go. Stew Mac is making a killing off of me and everytime I order something I always forget something and then have to make another order, I dont want to make small orders so I end up adding a few more things to it. But all the tools will get used again so its just the initial investment that seems outrageous, but by the time I start the next build I will have everything I need.

one of the rules of the competition that will most likely be instated is that there are to be no ongoing discussions evolved around each entry..so you need to already be familiar with the requirements of building a guitar to enter this one.and since the idea is also for a working tutorial of the build,you really are out of your element as of yet.

just build your guitar at your own pace and enter in "guitar of the month" when finished.the guys in this competition are already at least familiar enough to not have to discuss every facet as it is built...

i am afraid rms that you should not be in this...put one under your belt first...trust me,if this one works out well,we will do it again,and you will be more ready next time.

If you are a newb, DO NOT enter the comp. Why do you want the added pressure of a competition on top of trial and error, or learning, when building your first guitar. You are asking REAL basic questions, yet wanting to compete against guys who have proven they can build a nice looking instrument. Let them compete, and just you worry about building SOMETHING rather than competing.

Hopefully there is a rule which states only known members can join in.

I don't mind coming in last place, and it aint like I am green working with power tools or craftsmanship!!

For once I agree with Perry. Just build for fun now. It's way better for your first couple of builds. Trust me.

Chris

I aint saying this is going to be easy, but I am a fast learner, and I like challenges, anyways from what I have heard you guys need all the help you can get participation wise!

I AM IN ALL READY! :D

one of the rules of the competition that will most likely be instated is that there are to be no ongoing discussions evolved around each entry..so you need to already be familiar with the requirements of building a guitar to enter this one.and since the idea is also for a working tutorial of the build,you really are out of your element as of yet.

just build your guitar at your own pace and enter in "guitar of the month" when finished.the guys in this competition are already at least familiar enough to not have to discuss every facet as it is built...

i am afraid rms that you should not be in this...put one under your belt first...trust me,if this one works out well,we will do it again,and you will be more ready next time.

How about this, I will adhare the above rule and wont ask for any help here. I will just buy a book.

I can do a working tutorial thats not a problem for me.

Edited by RMS

this is where you sign up to enter the guitar build off...first general outline is as follows.

you sign up with your post...in that post you enter your opinion of the 3 top guitars you would like to build...at the end of the week (next sunday)we will compare notes and decide on mutiple qualifying builds...for example...a les paul single cut and a prs double cut are comparable builds...so if those are in all of your lists...they would both be eligible...(that is just an example)

try to keep in mind guitars that are useful to the most people...so that nobody is left with a guitar they won't use.

also..keep in mind that ,though it may be changed if you don't like the idea,that there will probably be a "pot" of guitar supplies donated by you entrants(though you do not have to enter to donate)which will be sentto a neutral third party for safekeeping.

so

Nothing above states anyone new to guitar building can not enter this build off. Remember the person that sparked this contest used the word "FUN"

Dude, enter the build and have fun with it. If you're worth your salt around the shop, I have no doubt you'll be able to come up with something. It's your rep on the line, so why worry?

Besides, if the end result sucks, who really cares? I've seen plenty of firewood come out of Drak's shop the past couple of years.

Yes, and in the sense of "fun" they don't want it being bogged down by a noobie. I'm all for equal participation, but I have to say I agree here, no noobs. That's one of the MAIN discussion points in one of the previous threads about this contest. Plus, as a noob you don't really have anything to prove.... so why?

Chris

Dude, enter the build and have fun with it. If you're worth your salt around the shop, I have no doubt you'll be able to come up with something. It's your rep on the line, so why worry?

Besides, if the end result sucks, who really cares? I've seen plenty of firewood come out of Drak's shop the past couple of years.

Thanks, and I agree!

Yes, and in the sense of "fun" they don't want it being bogged down by a noobie. I'm all for equal participation, but I have to say I agree here, no noobs. That's one of the MAIN discussion points in one of the previous threads about this contest. Plus, as a noob you don't really have anything to prove.... so why?

Chris

How is it going to get bogged down, their is a time frame with an end date?? No I don't have anything to prove, I am looking for a challenge and I like the fact of the contest itself. Besides inovation is where a new person can be helpfull, and that is a judging point, along with best built and best design.

So the way I see it, I am highly qualified for this contest! :D

Let the guy into the silly competition. It's only for s&g's, afterall. If he sticks to the rules and doesn't ask too many questions along the way, then you can't fault him. If it's not meant to be, he'll come out in the wash. If it works out, then more power to him. my $.02

For the record, I think that having little experience in guitar building in no way will help you design/build anything guitar related, unless you're hopelessly narrow minded and can only regurgitate what you already know. Having little experience has, in my experience :D , only led to a higher percentage of ideas that are both useless and unrealistic. It's a deep insight into the field in which you wish to create new products that will allow you to understand both the need for a product or design and the means for building/accomplishing said product or design. Of course, there are some exceptions to this mentality, but more often than not, it holds true.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Let the guy into the silly competition. It's only for s&g's, afterall. If he sticks to the rules and doesn't ask too many questions along the way, then you can't fault him. If it's not meant to be, he'll come out in the wash. If it works out, then more power to him. my $.02

fair enough...he's in.we never said no newbs.i think you will find august shows up very quickly..truth is i don't know most of the entrants very well...there might be more first timers in there for all i know.i don't know why rms wants to join a competityion his first day on the forum,but whatever.

but do keep in mind when i get around to writing the rules there will be a small clause against "what should i do here?" type of questions.

i thik most of the fun of this comp. is going to be the unveiling at the end in which all of these guitar we have never seen before are there all at once for us to gawk at.

I don't think you understand the advise being given, but I doubt you would because you have never built a guitar. Believe me it has nothing to do with trying to hold you back from entering, and everthing to do with not having you distracted by a goofy contest. YES, this contest is going to be a distraction. You have a lot to learn on a first guitar(if you want it to turn out well). It will be better for you if you don't have to worry about "rules" or deadlines.

You almost make me want to drop out of this competition. Because I do not believe promoting speed, and competition is a good thing in guitar building. I figure you are going to do what you will and little anyone tells you will make sense or difference. Through a thought in the back of your mind.... The first time you compramise for this contest. Drop out, and don't compramise. The first time you rush to get something done to stay on the contest schedule, but are just not totally sure you have the task totally clear in your head. Drop out, and stop and think it through completely. When you are trying to understand an aspect of how a guitar works, but the book just kinda skipped over it. Drop out, and start asking questions on the board so that the guys who want to help you over the hurdles they had to cross can do so.

Peace, and the very best luck to you,

Rich

...i don't know why rms wants to join a competityion his first day on the forum,but whatever.

I was researching making guitars and thinking about either buying a PRS or SG or putting one together from warmoth. Doing a search on the subject brought me here to this forum. Then when I saw the post about the guitar build off for “FUN” kind of thing going on I got all warm an fuzzy in side. :D

fair enough...he's in.we never said no newbs.i think you will find august shows up very quickly..truth is i don't know most of the entrants very well...there might be more first timers in there for all i know.i don't know why rms wants to join a competityion his first day on the forum,but whatever.

but do keep in mind when i get around to writing the rules there will be a small clause against "what should i do here?" type of questions.

i thik most of the fun of this comp. is going to be the unveiling at the end in which all of these guitar we have never seen before are there all at once for us to gawk at.

Great and I move forward positively from this point on! :D

Let the guy in the silly competition. It's only for s&g's, afterall. If he sticks to the rules and doesn't ask too many questions along the way, then you can't fault him. If it's not meant to be, he'll come out in the wash. If it works out, then more power to him. my $.02

peace,

russ

Thanks to the people supporting me on this!

Edited by RMS

just let it be known that i think it is incredibly silly to join something like this before you even know what is involved in building a guitar.my first guitar was a p.o.s.,so was my second and third...fourth one is pretty good but needs some issues resolved,and now i am finally starting to develop the patience needed to build a good instrument.i think there is a high probability that you will fail miserably and i think you should look at the quality of the gotm this month.if you cannot build a guitar as well as that bass or that travel guitar,you will not even come close to the top tier of the other entrants,i can promise you that.most of these guys are highly skilled.

BUT i have seen some very nice first time instruments...but did you happen to see that part of the competition is to write a tutorial(very detailed and informative) as to how you did what you did?i don't possibly see how you can do that on your first guitar.but whatever.

you have the opportunity to just officially drop out...i personally think it would be best,but it is my mistake for not making entrant conditions at the start.

Thanks to the people supporting me on this!

I wouldn't call it "support" as much as I would "indifference." :D So let's see what you're made of, then. I also agree that it is not wise to take part in a competition for your first build, but I also tend to let stubborn people setup their own undoing rather than spending a lot of time convincing them otherwise. One way or another, I wish you good luck with your first build. In a short time frame such as this, you may find you'll need it.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

He is a completely innapropriate entry, END OF STORY.

...and I can't believe you guys caved to a complete newb, you're experienced builders for chrissakes, you know what happens...

THIS is SUPPOSED to be where WES RULES THE DAY as solo incarnate, and you guys just build your guitars and stay out of this kind of stuff and let his sole decision REIGN (in blood, of course :D ) SUPREME. B)

...this is where it starts...no solid rules, everyone chowing in on what should happen, everything is always open to debate at any time...been there, done that...

Consider the fortress walls of your competition have now been breached by the smallest stone.

:D :D B)

i know i did not cave anything as im not making the rules

but

"He is a completely innapropriate entry, END OF STORY"

that is well said

but i have looked at his site (what he has posted anyway "dreamtone.org")

and it makes me wonder how he is a newbie that knows nothing

and this is a direct quote from his mini jcm 800 build

"This kit is not for a beginner or armature and It is not intended for your first diy amp build. Electrical skills, knowledge and safety are all needed to build this kit"

so either he is no beginer or does not listen to his own advice

Edited by spazzyone

It shows me he has confidence, which is great, and experience in other fields, which is also fantastic.

I applaud him for his skills. :D :D B)

Maybe he can be a resource to all of us who are electrically challenged, and I would hope he would be.

But his entry is still completely innapropriate,

...and this is a prime reason why...

the participants should just build and not be the voting committee at the rise of every new little issue.

With one small stone he has gained entry into your castle.

You are going right smack-dab down the yellow brick road of Carrieburst, with obviously no lessons learned, and History shall bequeath upon you Her brigade of sorrows.

Do you vote for a President or Prime Minister just to have them ask you civilians constantly what they should do with every issue that crosses their plate?

No.

Would you want to live in a country that was run like that?

I seriously doubt it.