7 String Neckthru

Well, since my last 7 string didn't turn out the way I wanted, nothing like breaking out more wood and gettin to it.

I'm making a neck thru 7 string with a body shape like my 8 string on here. I have a bolt on 7 string also going as well, but this one just has my attention more.

25.5 inch scale 24 frets

2 Dimarzio Evolutions

7 string hipshot (black)

Grover mini locking tuners (love these things)

Body wings - Mahogany w/zebrawood cap

Neck - mahogany/zebrawood/purpleheart/zebrawood/mahogany

Zirocote fretboard

At some point with this build, i'm planning on putting in a 7 string GHOST system, so there will be a larger cavity.

The blank, headstock planed

DSC00113.jpg

closeup of laminates

slab of zirocote

that zirocote looks mad

is it for the body or the fret board...or have i missed that part

any way looks sick

got any pics of a design or somthing i dont think ive seen ur 8 stringer

It's in his signature.

What happend to your 7-string? It was looking great man.

The zirocote is definitely for the fretboard. the slab's thick enough to get about 4 bass fretboards out of it so i can see a few zirocote boards in my future...or even maybe neck lams? Anyone had experience with it as a neck laminate?

The other 7 string just wasn't going my way anymore and was generally causing me grief. I'll go back to it later, but right now, it's a suspended project.

I'll be using very light, if any, inlays on this one. I want the fretboard to show as much of the grain as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

i routed out the truss rod channel today using the Stewmac hot rod bit along with this jig that I put together. I made the opening in the headstock wider to accomodate allenkeys. I also made the thinner route go a tad deeper than the large one so the adjuster sits properly and the two ends of the rod sit flush.

The jig is a 12 inch wide piece of MDF with the midpoints marked at each end at 6 inches. Since my router base is 6 1/4, i put the two oak fences at 3 1/8's from the midpoint. I had to make a very slight movement of about 1/4 mm on each one to allow the base to travel, but with the board in place, all you have to do is pull the router towards you. I hate using edgeguides because the bit sometimes catches and travels somewhere you dont' want it to. This way, ya can't screw up.

DSC00140.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice fretboard man!! leaveing long for some wicked spikes?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

More progress - got the fretboard glued to the neckblank and I got the wings rough cut. Next weekend i'll be cutting the blank down appropriately, fretted and hopefully have the wings attached.

I've got the long part on there to leave room for the swoosh like on the 8.

Here's a pic side by side with the 8.

DSC00155.jpg

Edited by Canuck Brian

I did read that they were convertable, but I woudln't be using one on this guitar. I'd like to have a locknut installed but I dont' have enough room to intall it at the moment without taking more wood off the nut area.

I do thank you for the link though, i have another guitar that I have kept one of the 7 string kahlers in mind for though.

More progress pics for this past weekend and tonight

Got the neck tapered, headstock cut, tuners drilled, fretboard radiused and inlayed. Don't mind the burn marks, they're coming off tonight. the wings aren't on there yet, just set there for show. I might change the body wings a bit to make the guitar look less huge!

The two pickups are the 81-7 and 707.

DSC00160.jpg

Edited by Canuck Brian

Another weekend and there's more progress. I only got to work on it for about 4 hours today, but i got it fretted, glued up, roughly sanded to shape (aside from the bottom cut out) front sanded level....

I found that pressing frets and having the right tools to cut fret tangs cut my time for fretting down to a 1/3 of what it normally was.

Next week i'm at the shop the whole weekend so it's actually conceivable that I get it finished.

DSC00161.jpg

Got the arm bevel done, tummy cut, pickups routed, wire channel done (template slipped) and cleaned up the bottom cut out. Don't be put off by the cutout as the spikes will be rounded off with the cutout and be much more subtle like on my 8. I have DAYS of sanding and shaping left, but all the heavy stuff is done.

Shot of the back

DSC00173.jpg

Full shot with the pickup routes