Pickup Suggestions?

Joobsauce

Anyways, I'm looking for a decently cheap pair of humbuckers (large, not single coil size) that have a great rock tone with a good distortion. I cant stand my current (stock) pickups, no tone at all.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for 100usd or less for trhe pair, perferably less. :D

Sean

Um, well...

Just about all the major winders have really cool websites that'll give you sound clips and advice on what to put in your specific guitar. Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, Bill and Becky Lawrence, Lollar, Fralin, WCR, Rio Grande, and yes, sometimes GuitarFetish GFS are kind of the big names. Of course, for the money you're paying for GFS you could spend a few more dollars and get Duncan, Dimarzio, or Lawrence pickups.

Classic combo is the Duncan JB bridge, Jazz neck combo. I think you can get a bundled set for about $130.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyways, I'm looking for a decently cheap pair of humbuckers (large, not single coil size) that have a great rock tone with a good distortion. I cant stand my current (stock) pickups, no tone at all.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for 100usd or less for trhe pair, perferably less. :D

Sean

Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker set. $129 for a JB bridge pickup and Jazz neck. These are the most ubiquitous pickups in rock and roll, covering everything from rock to metal.

Sean

Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker set. $129 for a JB bridge pickup and Jazz neck. These are the most ubiquitous pickups in rock and roll, covering everything from rock to metal.

Yeah, just good luck getting them from Musician's Friend. I broke down mid-December and ordered a couple Dimarzio's from them. I still haven't got them yet! :D

I'm not actually that thrilled with the Jazz+JB combination, legendary though it may be. The Jazz is really convincing as a single-coil when split, though.

Me either. I think they're TOO popular, although I know our adored Seymour would disagree, I'd rather use something different than the mainstream. Everybody makes so many damn good pickups it's almost just a roll of the dice anymore.

Anyways, on my Les Paul I have a set of DiMarzio PAF Classics installed. I wanted a more vintage tone and look with the covers, but a wearable nickel finish and Alnico V magnets that don't lose their magnetism as much over time. These delivered.

One set of pickups I think look interesting are the new DiMarzio Activators. High output with a relatively low resistance may be a good choice for the swamp-ash EBMM EVH I'm planning.