The Thicker Ead String The Better For Heavy Metalists?

I'm trying to decide on what gauge to go with for my Gibson V http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...tarVpics013.jpg

Its time for me to hand it over to this luthier I know for a complete set up which includes a new nut. When I mentioned to him that I wanted Zakk Wylde's .060 strings put on there he warned me that it may harm the neck. Anyway I kinda have this idea that I'd like a heavier E,A and D string so when struck by themselves or together they are heavier and more powerful... know what I mean? I can't say I'm a detuner kinda guy and am almost afraid to tell him to set it up at Eb cuz I know I'll prolly have to tune it up to learn some songs. Guess this is all I got for you right now, just could use some help deciding what key to have it set up at and whether or not thicker gauge strings are more suitable for the heavier chugging rock. Thanks for your assistance :D

Ken

I've played on a ton of guitars with every type of string, played a few gigs with drop-C tuning, 7 strings, the whole shebang. The way I see it, the rig/amp/pickups you're playing through has more to do than how thick the strings are, when looking for low-end chunk. I've got a beefy low-end out of a Squire with 8's, so I'm saying that there are a lot more factors going into getting a thick chunk than string size.

What everyone WILL tell you, though, is that thicker strings are a must for downtuning. If you're only going down to Eb, normal strings are fine, I've got my Carvin set up in Eb with 10's. My advice regardless of what gauge string you pick out is to have the guy set it up the way you want it. You're dropping some decent cash to have a guitar professionally set up, have it done exactly how YOU want it. Pick whatever tuning is useful; if you're going to have to tune up to standard a lot, why not just have it set up that way?

As far as string sizes go, if you want heavy strings for EAD, get power slinkys or skinny top heavy bottom. I've used both of those tuning to standard with no stress problems. Of course, it was soon afterwards that I learned to play more than just heavily distorted power chords :-P But to each his own. Zakk uses 60's because he's actually a demigod; there's no way I could play like that on strings that thick. If you're tuning to standard D or below, look into getting thicker strings all around, not just EAD strings. Beefy or not even slinky is great for D or below.

Ive played with my guitar tuned down 2 full steps which would be C i believe. Guitar was a gibson flying V 98 one of the newer style ones. Anyways I used my regular string set up, 10 46 daddarios and had no problem whatsoever. Would it have been better if I put 11s or 12s on, sure but my guitar is set up for 10s. Honestly stick with a normal gauge like 10s and get/make another guitar to set up for low tunnings. Plus you wouldnt want to ruin an amazing guitar like that.

Mike

If you look online for guitar gauge calculators, you can roughly approximate your overall tension from the tuning, gauges and scale length. If you have a guitar which you like the feel of, stick to that. Hell, metal comes from your playing and your amp - not from high string gauges!

I'd have to say my rig is pretty good I'm done screwing with it. I've been down the tube, speaker,pedal mod and cable route and feel confident that its as good as it gets. But the one thing I've pretty much concluded is it all comes down to your guitar. Whether

it is properly wired, dressed frets, wood, shielded, pickups and all that. I just feel that a properly setup guitar makes all the difference in the world. Hope i'm right! Here's a pic of some of my gear http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...KensPics006.jpg

Ken

Hoenestly I think you need to stop listening to what Ed Roman has to say. JK. You have a Dual Rectifier which screams heavy metal. I can play my showmaster Strat through my Single Recto and get a badass metal tone out of it. As far as a properly set up guitar, it can be properly set up with 10s or 12s or 13s and will still sound the same. If you really want an adjustment to your tone change out your pickups for a higher output pickup like a set of Duncan JBs or Distortions or a set of EMGs.

Mike

I'm trying to decide on what gauge to go with for my Gibson V http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...tarVpics013.jpg

Its time for me to hand it over to this luthier I know for a complete set up which includes a new nut. When I mentioned to him that I wanted Zakk Wylde's .060 strings put on there he warned me that it may harm the neck. Anyway I kinda have this idea that I'd like a heavier E,A and D string so when struck by themselves or together they are heavier and more powerful... know what I mean? I can't say I'm a detuner kinda guy and am almost afraid to tell him to set it up at Eb cuz I know I'll prolly have to tune it up to learn some songs. Guess this is all I got for you right now, just could use some help deciding what key to have it set up at and whether or not thicker gauge strings are more suitable for the heavier chugging rock. Thanks for your assistance :D

Ken

I play with 10-60 strings on my Godin LGX with a set of EMG81/85 pickups through a cranked JCM800 and a super OD in front. Sounds awesome. The extra low end and crunch is really worth it in my opinion. I tried going back to 10-52s on that guitar and it sounds real thin in comparison. Will it harm the neck? I highly doubt it. My Godin has been setup with 10-60s for 3+ years now with no problems at all.

I'm in an Ozzy/Sabbath tribute and to play the drop D stuff, those strings help in getting the proper sound. Keep in mind that I tune a 1/2 step down and that Zakk actually tunes an entire step down in some cases. I have tuned the guitar up to concert pitch but then, it gets hard on the fingers.

Edited by guitar2005

I prefer Heavier strings (11-52's for E tuned 12-56 for D and 13-64 for B ). I feel they do add to the sound but I couldn't quantify exactly how but I'd suggest they give you a small boost in output (more steel vibrating infront of the pickup) but probably reduce the length of your notes as they're heavier? not sure on that one but I like then because I play like a mad man and thicker strings take more of a beating.

Edited by Robert_the_damned

I think that you need to consider playability over tone. For example - I have two ESP Explorers, one of which is set up for standard tuning and the other set up for heavy top/light bottom in open C - the lower strings require higher gauges to compensate for lower tuning whereas the top three strings are in standard tuning, except B (2nd) is tuned up a semitone to C.

O gawd the Ed Roman thing! That guitar is currently in Seattle getting completely overhauled by Mark Arnquist. This V just may be my tune-down-a-1/2-step guitar. The lighter strings aren't what I'm concerned with really, its mainly the beefiness you get out of the open EAD strings that i'm after. For example have a listen to buckethead in this video when he's simply hitting open strings and using his vibrato. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-RQyr_olM

Its in the very beginning. To me my strings when played open sound so boring and lack beauty. But guess I'll know in a week. Oh as far as pickups go I've changed them out so many times lol. First what I needed was a higher output pickup (X2N)... then what it possibly could be is its overkill so I'd go with a medium output etc.... Thats bout it I'll let you know how it goes thanks.

Ken

Edited by MichiganBoySB