makore top

My local exotic wood store has a billet of makore quilted wood that's 1" rough thick, anythwere from 4" to 14" wide so i'm thinking about doing a 1 peice 3/4" figured top for a guitar, but i'm curious as to the tonal properties of Makore.. any one have the slightest clue? I couldn't find much

D..

Didn't find anything about the tone yet, but here they say its dust can be irritant.

http://www.woodbook.co.uk/M%20-%20N.htm

Here's another description: http://www.windsorplywood.com/tropical_woo...ods/makore.html

It is African cherry, Janka hardness quite similar to black cherry. Don't know... stiff enough to emphasize the upper midrange, isn't it? I bet its sound is close to maple's sound, therefore it would be nice to use as a top.

Just my 2 cents.

I know that makore tops are much prized by owners of custom basses - 'sposed to be snappy, with good tap tone, similar to mahogany but brighter. I just love the look, though! I know it's been used for back/sides on high end acoustics, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work great. Send pics if you get it!

pics... will do, is there a good way to photograph quilted/flamed/figured wood when it's raw?? lighting??

i'm going for the crazy JS series aerofoil carved top desgin on the guitar in question, along with excessive use of laminating exotic and colourfull woods, and of course neck thru :D

an ARRI lighting kit would work well to light it, too. if you pick one up and realize you don't need it anymore, feel free and send it my direction. i could use a full, $1000, 3-point + highlight lighting kit very much so. i think it would be fun.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

take a damp towel...this will simulate a clear finish...DO NOT PUT A LOT OF WATER ON THE WOOD! just dampen it. Also the grain will raise, making the figure stand out. This can also be used to find out whaere the best figure is in the board.

finaly found some pics of the makore, this isn't the actual peice, but they come very close, it's got this almost holographic allure to it cause it's a dark figured wood

so i've decided to go with it for a bass project, since i've read up that it's been used on basses, and i'm going to try it on 1 guitar, hopefully it won't sound to misplaced on the guitar :D

figuredmakore.jpg

pictures curtusy of hobbit house inc.com

• 11 months later...