Padauk And Wenge Fingerboards / Slotting Service

Jon

I will always keep select pieces off to the side for this board, I doubt I'll offer most of most of my nicest figure woods on ebay (when I get my store going again). Kind of like a pay back to the most helpful community here!

The ratings of wood will always vary from place to place. In some wood stores, this would be in the "exhibition grade exotics" section. In some it would be with the rest of the bubinga. In others it may be hidden away in the back for the long time customers. I would just call it "figured bubinga", it's just really swirly with some cool 3D sections in the grain. And I always appreciate the kind words, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally have the 25" and 25.5" fret slotting template, so I can now slot the guitar fingerboards to those scales. I need to get rid of some Padauk tops I was planning on doing some prototypes with that I just can't afford to do at this time. I'm letting them go at $20 + Shipping. They measure to 21"+ x 12"+ x 3/4", please note the width is only 12" and wont fit for most shapes. There are very minor defects on most of them that would not end up on the build, if you are interested in any please PM me and I can carefully inspect the board for you. Excuse my sloppy job with the templates, I had very little experience with the program (fireworks) then.

Top A:

th_PadaukTop1.jpg

Top B:

th_PadaukTopB1.jpgth_TopBTemplate.gif

Top C:

th_PadaukTopC1.jpgth_TopCTemplate.gif

Top D:

th_PadaukTopD1.jpgth_TopDTemplate.gif

Top E:

th_PadaukTopE2.jpgth_TopETemplate.gif

• 2 weeks later...
hey I've got a few questions not sure if i should PM but ohh well

1)what kinds of wood do you have that would suit a 5 string 35" bass

2)how much would they be with fretslots

3)do you ship to AUS

thanks

With my current fingerboards, I may have 1 Padauk left that is thicknessed and ready to be slotted, this may go to another sale. If it does, I have 3 more boards ready to be resawn and thicknessed into fingerboards.

1. Padauk

2. $12.00USD for the board, +$5.00USD for slotting

3. If your laws allow Padauk to be shipped there, I've only shipped out to new zealand but their import laws aren't as strict as australia's.

I'll get back to you later tonight on the rest of the information.

thanks for the reply

the plans for my next build are still in the works so don't wait back on anyother sale or something for me

not sure if padauks the right wood for me and im dead scared of customs but im definatly interested in your sales so keep posted if any other wood come in that would be greatly appreciated thanks

The ebony will be 2-3 times more than what I pay for figured bubinga. Even then, I rarely see large pieces of Ebony at the lumberyard I frequent. And sorry, but the Bubinga is only 30" in length :D , it would look beautiful on an upright bass, though.

I'm honestly not positive and would prefer not to recommend something that may not work for an upright bass. I do plan on building one in the future, but I'm afraid I can't offer any fingerboard advice for you. Have you checked out Ergo instruments? I believe Jessie has used Maple and Walnut as fingerboards for his uprights.

Also, my site will be up 2 weeks from today. Add me to your favorites! www.jonsbasses.com

I wont be able to take any new orders for the time being. Workshop still isn't 100% roofed and we got a big rain last night. The bandsaw is out of service for the time being. Those who have already placed orders will have their order shipped tomorrow morning. Thanks guys!

Jon,

I got the two Padauk top in yesterday...Very nice! One of them will be a bass top. The other I plan on re-sawing into a couple fretboards, and the large offcut will be re-sawn and planed down for a bookmatched laser cut flame inlay on an alder guitar body...should be cool. :D Thanks again Sir!

Not a problem! Towards the edge of the board is some flat sawn grain - it's very jagged / firey looking. I recommend using that side for the flame inlay. You'll be pleased with the results. :D

Top A and C are the only tops left.

Back in service now. Website will be up in just a few more days! Also, thanks to Rich (fryovanni) I can now slot to a 27.25" scale. I can also take off a fret on the 25.5" scale and bring the scale to a 24.07" scale. So if anyone is interested in a 24.07" short scale for guitar, I am now able to do this!

And all tops are now gone. I went out to Woodcraft today to look around for select wood pieces, found some really cool Cocobolo. I rarely come by this stuff at my local lumberyards, so I was pretty happy to find some pieces that look good! I know the quartersawn piece will be cut up into (4) 24" guitar fingerboards, I may hold onto the others for myself for fretless basses.

Cocobolo1.JPG