New Projects Started

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing!!

that top is perfect! the finest i've ever seen.

very nice!! - the neck join is great - dont think we need to mention the top :D

I was really lucky to find that top, it was an ebay score! It was 10" x 24" x 10/4 with live edges on one side. I got this top and with the leftover wood I have about 9 headcaps and a piece I could use for 3-4 quilted maple fingerboards(only long enough for 22 frets). I paid somewhere around $175 which included the shipping from British Columbia.

Quick questions: 1) what finish? 2) direct stain, with or without sandback, and/or tinted colour coats?

1. MacFadden's nitro

2. It's double stained. I stained it really dark blue and sanded it back, then stained it with a lighter blue. I have a pic of it sanded back at the shop, I can post it tomorow.

Super nice once again! I can't believe I hadn't noticed this earlier, but that is a one piece thick maple top isn't it? It just seemed to perfectly grained to be a one piece. The flame is beautiful, but the grain seems flawless and perfectly symmetrical, amazing choice on that one. Given the quality of all your other finishing jobs, I cannot wait to see this one, sounds like an amazing look. You've pegged my two favorite stains with these two builds and with both types of tops I like as well. I love that blue you did and I really like red as well, when I imagine red I always have a pic of this red guitar I think mattia(?) might have built, looks so cool.

Please keep the pics and excellent work coming. PS: How are your side dots done? It looks like the shell inlayed in metal tube thingy a few good builders here do. I was just curious, they look really nice and stand out so much better than regular dots. If you have details as to sizes and stuff that would be awesome, if its trade secret stuff no worries. J

Edited by jmrentis

I really have to work hard and get more experience because these builds have totally blown me away. Simply amazing work Marcovis, you are one brilliant builder.

Now I think my next build has to be a carved top LP style guitar. I just love the beauty of it.

I can't wait to see these guitars finished, I know that they'll be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
Please keep the pics and excellent work coming. PS: How are your side dots done? It looks like the shell inlayed in metal tube thingy a few good builders here do. I was just curious, they look really nice and stand out so much better than regular dots. If you have details as to sizes and stuff that would be awesome, if its trade secret stuff no worries. J

The side dots are very simple. It's an 1/8th tube of either brass or aluminum with a 3/32 shell dot inside.

Awesome looking finish you got going on!! I really like that little red hue you have coming out of the edge of the black burst, adds a lot of depth to the burst. I am very impatiently waiting to see this one buffed up, its going to be amazing, I know it already. The carve really works well as well and the burst really flows with the carve well. I can imagine that is a tricky aspect of a carved burst because if they both don't fit together well, it might look odd in spots.

PS: Thank you for the side dot instruction. I had seen them done before by a few people here and they always look so cool to me, I definately plan on adding those in. It seems like such a small part that it wouldn't be worth it, but honestly I noticed right away when I saw your neck the difference those dots add to the look, so much nicer. Very cool stuff and thank you again for the help and make sure you take plenty of pics when your guitar is ready. J

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another update. The LP is pretty much done, just waiting on pickup ring screws and jack plate screws. They should be here either tomorrow or the next day. Here's a shot of the guitar buffed and with hardware installed. The pickups are WB custom 6707's(Wb Pickups). They are a hot PAF type pickup made with NOS wire from 1967.

273727675.jpg

on a side note, I just got in 3 killer black limba bodies last week. This one will be the back of one of the next guitars.

273729097.jpg

Niiiiice....who's got the Black Limba for sale, though? Seems to be a shortage of the good stuff in 2" stock right now...

Erikbojerik(sp?) had a body for sale in the classified section here. It's true that black limba is getting harder to find, but if you look around long enough you will find it. All three of these blanks are 13.25+ x 20-22 X 1 7/8 and were only $85 a piece. I got them from Marc @ Gilmer wood.