Alexi Vs. Razorback

I went to SamAsh today, looking to make some measurements on a Razorback which I was hoping to build. After measuring and playing the Dean, I decided to try out an Alexi-600 hung on the wall. I really liked the tone, even more than the Razorback, but I liked the way the Razorback played sitting, and the fact that it's completely badass. Could I use Alder instead of Mahogany on a Razorback shape to make it sound like an Alexi, or would the amount of wood affect how it sounds?

The ESP Alexi guitar is made to shred. It plays great and is very comortable for high frets access and all - no horns on your wrist's way.

I love this guitar. Don't like that its body is bigger than the genuine Jackson Rhoads but this could be an advantage as well.

IMHO the Razorback's shape is too flashy but again - this could be an adavntage. Chicks would like the Razorback better. :D

My advice is to buid both of them :D

Being a teenager, I don't have access to enough money to build two $1000+ guitars. I find it hard to play the Alexi sitting down, and I love the Razorback shape, and have been wanting it for a while. The Alexi does look awesome, and I actually like the more even V shape, more like a King V, but not completely even or as long as the King V. I like the lightness, so that's a plus. I can't decide whether to just make an Alexi or try to make a Razorback that sounds like it. Going back to my original question - I thought about how it could be done, and thought that making a thinner, Alder body might work. Would the fact that the Alexi is neck-through, and that I'd probably make my Razorback a set neck be a problem?

I think the razorback looks terrible.. but thats just my opinion..

theres probobly alot that differ in the two guitars, more then just the use of alder etc...

IMO Mahogany is a much better wood then alder all together, but for lightness Id suggest swamp ash..

Deep resonance, and super lite...

My cut on this is that I would use the wood I prefer. Use the shape that is most pleasing and comfortable to you (also chambering or lack of is important). I seriously think the tone is mostly in the pickups; at least on the guitar side. Of course amps and playing style is also very important in the tone.

just my opinion; I'm not an expert.

We're talking Alexi and Dimebag, here; Bodom and Pantera. With the distortion and volume they play at, the more you turn it up to 11, the less the wood matters. I'm not saying that it's not a factor, especially if you're playing varied styles of music, like flamenco or Bach fugues. Those'd be awesome on a Razorback, but I digress. The amount of wood will play a factor in sound, even more so with how it FEELS when you heft it over your shoulder. I agree with MCH here. Use the wood you like and the body shape you like, but don't forget build difficulty, either. It's your future guitar, make it to your specs only. After all, only you need to be satisfied with the build. I personally would go with a mahogany/maple neckthrough Alexi-style myself, I don't see the appeal in those giant Dean body shapes, but that's just me.

Build what makes you happy :D 10 years down the road, you should still want to be playing the guitar you built.

Being a teenager, I don't have access to enough money to build two $1000+ guitars.

Honestly, if you think that it will cost you $1000 to make one of those guitars you should just buy one off the shelf. The most expensive part of the build will be the hardware so I'd just buy one lot of hardware & enough wood for two guitars. Wood is quite cheap & it wouldn't cost much more to buy enough for two guitars than just one....provided that you buy planks from a timber merchant rather than pre-cut/planed blanks from Stew-Mac. You can then make both guitars & install the hardware on the one that you like most. Then, when you've saved up enough for more hardware you'll have the other guitar ready....or you can ask for parts for birthdays & Xmas

With the distortion and volume they play at, the more you turn it up to 11, the less the wood matters.

it matters to the player.the average audience member knows nothing...but players by nature are way more perceptive.

Of course it matters :D I'm a player, haha.

RE biliousfrog: Good point on buying a surplus of wood. I wish I'd done it for my build, hahahaha :D However, even with all my mess ups, the final cost of my build was still around the $800 mark. I think what will cost more, especially with the Razorback, is the build time, rather than the price.

RE Conflagration: You might want to check out buying a prebuilt neck, neckthrough in my opinion. With all the parts, equipment, and build time that goes into it, it might be worth springing the extra few bucks and saving yourself a lot of hassle.

I was planning on buying a neck from Warmoth, that way I don't have to worry about the neck, and I can focus on making the body as badass as possible. Also, I've found a price for all the wood, hardware, and the neck, which came to around $860. That doesn't include paint and any woodworking stuff I might need to buy. I've never built a guitar before, but my dad is quite experienced working with wood, so if you could point out anything that I need to add in for my budget, that would be great.

Edited by Conflagration

I can't do any graphics, and Alexis look awesome with pinstripes. Any idea how much it would cost to get it painted all black with white pinstripes at a car place?

Well the best thing to do would be to get a hold of some body repair shops and ask if they would do something like that and get a quote. Some shops may not be interested.

• 2 months later...