Spray Can Burst Example I Made

ok... so it's very hard to control the spray, but it doesn't mean it can't give you relatively good results! here's what I made:

http://fx7.phpwebhosting.com/lee/guitar/IMG_3148.JPG

and a closeup

there's no varnish on it, I just wet it to see how it'll turn out

I wanted the grain to show through the black outer part in the burst, too.

what do you think?

Edited by Maiden69
Image too big!

Was that a solid colour you used? It looks a bit too rough for my liking! Tinted clearcoats tend to look better for rattlecan sunbursts. In the UK we have a Foliatec spray which is normally used to tint car rear lights which works very nicely for sunbursts.

BTW - you need to resize your image to less than 640 x 480 as it's too large! :-D

Was that a solid colour you used? It looks a bit too rough for my liking! Tinted clearcoats tend to look better for rattlecan sunbursts. In the UK we have a Foliatec spray which is normally used to tint car rear lights which works very nicely for sunbursts.

BTW - you need to resize your image to less than 640 x 480 as it's too large! :-D

yeah, black... I don't know, I'm quite pleased with the results...

here's another pic:

http://fx7.phpwebhosting.com/lee/guitar/IMG_3159.JPG

Edited by Maiden69
Resize Image please!!!

it's quite hard to see it with all the water on it...if that is water or is it the finish? People usually put a little water on unfinished, figured woods to enhance the pattern in the wood, it doesnt do anything on painted wood...apart from make the finish look like it's bubbling up.

You're still using images that are far too large. They shouldn't be any larger than 640x480, they get automatically reduced on the forums to fit but each thread viewer still has to download the fullsize image before the forum software reduces it.

• 5 months later...

Rob (RobHale777) on the ReRanch forum did this with the ReRanch burst kit (go to RobHale777's post, about 7 posts down, for the pics):

http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t...&highlight=

I really love that burst. There are others on the forum who have used the burst kit with great results as well. I'd love to see your pics leeranya.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Bursting a top is sooo much easier to do with an air brush, even the $25 one like the testor that I have. Since you can control the amount of paint that you shoot, rather than relying on a piece of card board and a cheap spray can that can spit paint if you try to control it like on the first burst shown on that link from ReRanch by cbaker.

Edited by Maiden69

Bursting a topo is sooo much easier to do with an air brush..

You're going to burst a poor little rodent? :D

JK. :D

If even a $25 airbrush works better, that's a pretty minimal investment, I would think. I'm not anywhere near bursting a guitar (no guitar to burst...) but I'll keep this advice in mind.

Current links don't work. In the process of resizing, perhaps? Curious to see, since if I do any of my own work, it'll probably be rattlecan.

Yes, I'm resizing for half a year already :D Just kidding... The server is offline for some reason. Where can I upload the pics to?

By the way, I don't like the outcome of this burst paint... and I put the guitar aside for now, when I'll have enough time to work on it I will, but I might just trash it or put it in a closet somewhere.

Well, the guy that managed that web space on which I relied for about 5 years now has some problems with the billing information...

The problem is I didn't talk to that guy in 4 years :D it'll be too awkward now... Credit card expired or something. Anyway, photobucket:

Guitar without varnish

Guitar before painting, a while back

Do you still want it? :-P

Seriously though, I will probably sand everything off and just let the wood show its awesome color.

By the way, how's pine for body wood?