My First Build

I just got back from the lumber yard, where i got my wood milled, and borrowed some clamps. I'm getting ready now to glue it, and I figured this is a good enough time to post it here. I'm laminating a body together, with two pieces of ash, and two pieces of maple, the maple being in the middle. I'm going to do set mahogany neck next saturday, when I go back to the lumber yard.

Sorry, i can't find my digital camera at the moment. I'll post some pictures when i find it.

Oh yah, i got all the body wood from trees in my back yard i cut down a couple years ago. There's a long story behind why i cut them down, but in short, it's becuase there's a train going through, and I figured that I'd cut them down before the train company did.

Well, ive got the headstock laminated on, but it was way ahrder than it needed to be, cuz i messed up the angled cut, so I had to spend about half an hour planing and sanding it to the right angle, and then, getting the clamps to hold it in place was another wonderful project. But now everything's good, except of course, the piece is four feet long, and i dont know how long itneeds to be exactly, so, obviously, i can't laminate the heel on just yet. However, I have also reached another dilemna.

My piece of mahogany is about four feet long, and i think i might want it to go through the body, as it simplifies things and from what i hear plays and sounds better. The body isn't one piece anyway, so i wouldnt't be debeautifying anything. However, my piece of mahogany isn't thick enough to be part of the body, so I don't know what to do. I suppose i could laminate something to the back of it, not sure what though. Ok, now im just thinking out loud, if you ahve any suggestions, they would be much appreciated. And like i said, pictures will be up tomorow.

Edited by the telecaster kid

Well, I jsut realized that my body is huge. It's not really going to work with the 24 fret gibson scale, because the bridge will need to be 2/3s of the way up the body. So, I';m going to change the whole idea, and make it a bass. 5 string, 24 frets, with whatever material fretboard i can get. Anyone have any comments?

Edited by the telecaster kid

Well, I jsut realized that my body is huge. It's not really going to work with the 24 fret gibson scale, because the bridge will need to be 2/3s of the way up the body. So, I';m going to change the whole idea, and make it a bass. 5 string, 24 frets, with whatever material fretboard i can get. Anyone have any comments?

That's the kind of thing that happens when you don't plan ahead.

always make plans, drawings, notes, gather as much info as you can. study them, and after all that, you start cutting the wood.

Draw it out in full NOW, before cutting wood, front and side views 1:1 scale. Then keep moving along, and remember there are semi-hollows and archtops (BIG guitars) with short scales, and bridges pretty far up the body. If the body is so big that it looks too unbalanced, it will likely be way, way, way too heavy.

Draw it out in full NOW, before cutting wood, front and side views 1:1 scale. Then keep moving along, and remember there are semi-hollows and archtops (BIG guitars) with short scales, and bridges pretty far up the body. If the body is so big that it looks too unbalanced, it will likely be way, way, way too heavy.

I'll just echo what everyone else has said, it's very important to plan everything out. This is a thinking game. There is more science than art here. Very important to put your engineer hat on and think through every step.

One more thing, there are 19 replies in this thread, 11 of which are you posting back to back. If you have something to add just edit your previous post rather than posting more. It just clutters up the board and makes it harder to read.

I haven't planned out my guitar very well either, but I find it gives me the oppertunity to learn how to fix mistakes and turn them into design features. :D

I don't know what shape you are planning to make it, but if the wood is too big couldn't you just cut it smaller, or change the neck join?

As for the neck not being as thick as the body for a neck through, I think you could probably rout out a channel in a one piece body blank and fit the neck in that way.

one other thing.

if you post pictures of your progress we can help you a lot.

maybe we'll see something that you missed and you can avoid making some mistakes.

this forum is about learning and sharing experiences.

so, make your plans, draw the instrument full size, and if you have a question, ask us!

we are here to help you.

I haven't planned out my guitar very well either, but I find it gives me the oppertunity to learn how to fix mistakes and turn them into design features. :D

I don't know what shape you are planning to make it, but if the wood is too big couldn't you just cut it smaller, or change the neck join?

As for the neck not being as thick as the body for a neck through, I think you could probably rout out a channel in a one piece body blank and fit the neck in that way.

Well, I suppose this is going to sound really unprofessional, but I've decided to change the direction this project is going in enteirly. I realized that the fact that the body was too big might be a blessing in disguise, and decided that I don't really need three electric guitars, but I do need a bass for recording. So, It's going to be a 34" scale 4 string bass. I suppose you could call that turning a mistake into a design feature. As for the neck, I took it to my friends house, a friend who has a real shop. I did end up cutting a channel out of the body, and setting the neck in that. Im pleased with how It's turning out now.

Well, I suppose this is going to sound really unprofessional, but I've decided to change the direction this project is going in enteirly. I realized that the fact that the body was too big might be a blessing in disguise, and decided that I don't really need three electric guitars, but I do need a bass for recording. So, It's going to be a 34" scale 4 string bass. I suppose you could call that turning a mistake into a design feature. As for the neck, I took it to my friends house, a friend who has a real shop. I did end up cutting a channel out of the body, and setting the neck in that. Im pleased with how It's turning out now.

Stop and draw everything out in 1:1 scale.

That's why you had to scrap the original guitar style. I will bet you a brand new 14" bandsaw that if you stopped and planned it out it would go much better.