router bits

rsera

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I know they make bearing kits. If you have a bit with a cutting area slightly larger than the shank. find the kit, put a bearing on it and wala!

If you do it that way, make sure you get the bearing that matches perfectly with the size of the bit cutting dia. other wise your cuts will be too small. If the bearing is smaller, then you will start cutting into your templates.

I've had to do this in the past but I still prefer to buy them as one unit whenever possible.

btw, that 1/2"x1/2" router bit from MLCS is really nice i'm loving it, and i'm so happy i baught 2 :D they'll last forever. For tight corners i use a 1/4" diameter bit and a router bushing (or is it called a collar?), which means i had to redesign my HB rout template but no biggy, i actually made a really good one that's big enough to do direct routing size with the collar, and small enough that if i just use it with the 1/2" template bit the corners are fine B)

Ok, disclaimer, have not used these.

Saw 1/2" pattern bits for sale at my local building supply and one a Home Depot. Both were about $22. Used a roundover by same brand as at Homedepot and seems like a good bit.

Suspect any "Big Box" home building supply company will have a 1/2" or so pattern bit. Also check industrial supply houses. Have not looked but will bet that Grainger sells them and yes anyone can walk in Grainger and purchase. They are in almost all large cities now.

I don't know about the other one, but the Stew-Mac 3/8" is a great bit, it lasts almost forever, and you can buy extra collars (from stew-mac too) to stack on top of the one it comes with, I use 3 collars, works great.

I use a 1/2" to hog, 3/8" for the final cuts. I try to keep the 3/8" in good shape by not using it more than I have to, letting the 1/2" route all but the edges and corners...

If I'm using a bit that has no extra collars, then I make a wooden 'lifter', that makes my template about 3/4" thick instead of the 1/4" plexiglass, and keep it double-taped to the plexi.

Ok, disclaimer, have not used these.

Saw 1/2" pattern bits for sale at my local building supply and one a Home Depot.  Both were about $22.  Used a roundover by same brand as at Homedepot and seems like a good bit. 

Suspect any "Big Box" home building supply company will have a 1/2" or so pattern bit.  Also check industrial supply houses.  Have not looked but will bet that Grainger sells them and yes anyone can walk in Grainger and purchase.  They are in almost all large cities now.

If it was a red bit from home depot then it was a Freud, they're a top quality name brand.

I don't know about the other one, but the Stew-Mac 3/8" is a great bit, it lasts almost forever, and you can buy extra collars (from stew-mac too) to stack on top of the one it comes with, I use 3 collars, works great....

bearings..

I checked the box and this one is and you are right, it is a Freud. The packaging has red in it but the bit is yellow coated. The coating is reported to reduce friction. They sell extra bearings too and I suspect they can be stacked. Been happy this this one so far.

Anyone know about Whiteside (Whiteside Machine Co.)? I have one new, 1/2" pattern 3/4" deep part number 3002. Got this one a few years ago on ebay for almost nothing. This one has I believe carbide type toeeth rather than it being a single piece of tool steel.

Thanks

John

I bought one from the same place Krazy got his and I was very impressed with it. One word of advice though, make sure your templates are smooth. Simply put, they work so good that if you make a mistake it will copy the mistake.. lol.. sometimes thats not good if you rushed making a template, but will work wonders if you built a really good one. Since you won't have to sand near as much if your using it to route out the body or neck. I'm gonna order more in different sizes and use templates to cut out every single thing: neck, body, pickup cavities, neck pocket, etc etc. That should give you an idea of how much I was impressed with them.. lol Now all I need is to make a wood duplicator for the carving, but that will come later on down the road.

be carefull routing against the grain though GF, you have to go REALLY slow or you get tear out. an easy solution to this though like for making a neck with a template, is do one side with a template bit, then flip the neck and template over and use a flush trim bit to do the other side. And always do shallow passes, and work you way into the template, don't try to get up to the template if there's over 1/4" of wood around the template.

I think the advantage of the stew-mac one (which I bought many years ago), is that it has a longer than normal shank, which allows you to get to the bottom depth of pickup cavities while also riding on top of a template. Now if one of you guys knows where to get carbide tipped bits, of the same size, same shank length (or longer, because you could cut it down, or leave it long-might be even better), then I'd look into that, because if Stew-mac offers extra bearings, then we know it's pretty darn easy to install our own bearings if we find a bearingless bit. All you gotta do is measure the bit cutters with calipers and get a bearing the same size.

The 3/8" is actually too big for tight pickup corners, like a humbucker hole in a pickguard, so you have to do the corners with a drill bit of the right size, before using the 3/8 bit.