Drill Press.

Unrealize

Hey folks.

I'm thinking about buying a drillpress, and I have tried to find a few used, but to no luck. I found a nice one that was actually sold in my hometown,

but I was one hour late. Anyway, I have found this one:

Drill Press

It is probably not the best in the world, but it is the only one that I have found that I can afford.

Would it be good enough for general guitarbuilding? I'll try to translate the description to the best of my ability:

Kraftig gulvmodell med hode, bord og fot av støpejern.

Powerful floormodel with head, table and foot in cast iron

Table has T-track that can rotate around the pole, and angle at 45 degrees.

Total height 1600 mm. Effect 850 watts. 210-2200 rpm in 12 steps.

16 mm chuck, distance from pole to spindelcenter 170 mm. Max distance between chuck and table 640 mm.

I guess those are the most important features.

Also, there is a tablemount model of this one, that is a LOT cheaper, but it is a little bit smaller, and not as powerful, could that still be an option for me..?

I'd appreciate any input guys!

Thanks.

Thanks wethemann, it's pretty much the same I will use it for, input jacks are no problem to do by hand.

Also I was thinking about doing some small planings with a safe-t planer and that kind of stuff.

This is the smaller version:

Drill press - Small

It is FAR cheaper, the only thing I was afraid of was that it might be too small to locate bridge posts and so on properly,

but I guess it might do. If so I think I will go with this one, prize, size and so on makes this one probably more right for me...

Though, it says that it only has 100 mm distance from the pole to the senter of the drill, that sounds little to me, but I might be wrong...

Edited by Unrealize

The smaller model looks very similar to mine (probably the same). I'm very happy with mine, it is very useful for basic drilling tasks but it has a few problems.

1. It isn't really powerful enough for hogging out pickup cavities & such with a forstner bit. It works ok but I have to use a slower speed & do lots of shallow passes or else the drill just sticks in the wood.

2. The throat (depth from chuck to pole) is too small. It only becomes apparent when I need to drill bridge posts & that's when I need it most. Fortunately I have access to another drill press at my step-dad's but it is very inconvenient.

I have built a beast,2 Vs,an esp F copy,and an Explorer-esque guitar with mine and have only had to finagle just a little to make it work,but bigger IS almost always better in the case of a drill press.But off the top of my head i can't recall the size of mine.

I cannot read the language on the sight you link.

Thanks wethemann, it's pretty much the same I will use it for, input jacks are no problem to do by hand.

Also I was thinking about doing some small planings with a safe-t planer and that kind of stuff.

This is the smaller version:

Drill press - Small

It is FAR cheaper, the only thing I was afraid of was that it might be too small to locate bridge posts and so on properly,

but I guess it might do. If so I think I will go with this one, prize, size and so on makes this one probably more right for me...

Though, it says that it only has 100 mm distance from the pole to the senter of the drill, that sounds little to me, but I might be wrong...

Generally 5" is the minimum depth. A standard 16" swing model will work for everything including press fitting frets. I always do the upper frets in the drill press on a glued in neck, works fine. I own a Delta 16" drill press and believe me its no great wonder machine, in fact its pretty bad but it functions. The larger swing models are certainly easier to use especially with a safety planer where the shaft should have some bulk. As long as the chuck and shaft dont have horrible run out most drill presses should work fine. When you get the drill press make sure its within the manufacturers specs. If it isn't return it and get another one. You should own a dial indicator and stand. I had to replace the original chuck because it was horrible.

GB

Hey,

I'm using a drill press very similar to the smaller one you are showing. The brand is Skil (it's a spin off from Bosch).

I bought it in a regular hardware store last year for only € 57,00 and it just brings a smile to my face every time I use it. I guess it's a commodity tool in the Netherlands.

If I were you, I would not spend that much money on a drill press.

Cheers, Peppie

Funny....I've got a small, cheap press, and if I had the space and money, I'd replace it right darn quick. THing that annoys me most about it is that I can't quite drill the studs for a trem because it won't reach that far into a body.

Actually, what I really want is a mill, but that's a different issue ;-)