I Love Cocobolo

It's really hard to get a clear shot with reflections. I've got some amazing Cocobolo that looks like it has burl figure with some curly figure that I will be using for an upcoming 6-string fretless. It's going to take me a few months to plan it out though. Oh yeah, this fingerboard is sanded to 1200.

BassProject18.jpg

Yeah, I can see some reflection in your pic. That's a nice piece. I need to find some >600 paper...I'm thinking I'll try an auto parts shop.

My lousy cell phone pic didn't capture the true color of the board. Here's a shot of the same board from before I inlaid the abalone (they're just lying on the surface)--really close to the actual color though.

cocobolo_paua.jpg

I purchased some 800 grit off Stewmac that I have a fair amount of. The only place I've been able to find anything higher is Harbor Freight. Which was 1000 and 1200 grit. I'll definitely check Autozone for something higher.

I use cocobolo for all my fretboards. Mainly because its cheaper than indian rosewood where i get my wood from :D. But the amount of sheen ya can get off the stuff by sanding is amazing... Have had a few probs glueing it in the past.... any suggestions?

S

I'm fairly allergic to it, but it's not too much of a problem if I take my allergy medication, and jump in the shower after I'm done sanding it.

As far as trouble gluing it; I haven't experienced that, but I read a tip in a book that said to lightly score the underside of the fretboard in a crosshatch pattern before gluing it. Don't know if that would help or not. I didn't do it.

No problems glueing cocobolo here, just use titebond and the same methods as glueing any other wood. Maybe I've just been lucky.

As for the dust, I recently bought a nasal irrigation product and use it after working with cocobolo, or any other time I'm in a dusty environment. It's a bit uncomfortable to rinse out your sinuses with saltwater, but not so bad after you're used to it. Kinda like getting water in your nose when swimming. And it sure helps me with any breathing issues after being in the dust.

I got it at a Kroger grocery store, so I'm sure it's fairly common. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.achooallergy.com/sinus-neilmedsinusrinse.asp

Mostly a skin irritation rather than respiratory for me. I have a good respirator that I wear when I'm making sawdust, so that part's not much of a problem.

Thanks for that link though; I may check that stuff out for other allergy issues (mowing the lawn always gets to me!).

What are the tonal differences between cocobolo and regular rosewood, anything substantial? I've never played on cocobolo, so I don't have a clue, heh.

Mattia, LMI has coco fretboards for cheaper than Indian rosewood, but the difference is only about $1. I'd be interested in getting a coco fretboard for my next project, the wood certainly LOOKS better, but as far as sound, I've no clue.

And death dust is certainly a key selling point :D

::EDIT::

On second thought, I don't know if I myself am allergic to it, maybe it'd be better to play safe and not build a neck that I won't be able to play.

It's so interesting how different the cocobolo fingerboards look than the ones you all posted. That's how Jason (wwwdotcomdotnet) and I thought ours would be from LMI, but they came very orange in color (almost like padauk) . I will post a picture soon - camera batteries are dead.

They still look completely awesome, though.

Edited by shorterthanrich

Cocobolo really does range in color, there can be many different colors on a single board. From red to orange to black to brown to purple. The fingerboard I got was a first grade bass fingerboard from LMI a long time ago. I wasn't satisfied with the look until I worked with it for a small bit. The wood really does look amazing after you sand it up to a higher grit sandpaper.