Humbuckers Mounted Without Pickup Rings

Hi, all ! :D I´ll begin with my first diy guitar and want to use humbuckers mounted without the plastic rings, directly to the body. Is there any tutotial about this ? I need a diagram of the holes to route for the pickups and the way to mount the screws in order to adjust the level of the PUs. Any suggestion is welcome !

Julian :D

Stewmac sells humbucker routing templates, Melvyn Hiscock's book has a template to copy too. It is basically the same route as you'd use with the mounting ring. You'd screw the pickups into the body with springs (or I prefer the rubber tubing that Fender uses) under the pickup so that you can adjust the height.

If you're planning to mount the pickups from the back of the guitar, you'd simply route the the standard humbucker shape from the back leaving 1/8" or so then a rectangle big enough for the pickup through to the top. The pickup would be fitted exactly like it would with a mounting ring.

It is preferrable to make the template from the actual pickup as humbuckers vary slightly in size depending on make & model, open coils or covers.

Thank you Biliousfrog for your fast reply ! I know that Stewmac sells templates but living in South America I´m not sure about our post office... May be I can obtain a good one in the internet to print it and check with my pickups. About the Fender rubber tubing, I don´t know what it is, have you a picture or link to give me an idea ? I´m planning to mount the pickups from the front of my guitar but the screws that gave me with the PUs are for metal not wood and if I change them to screws for wood I will damage the hole in the pickup used to insert the metal screw. Am I right ? What I have to do ? Use screws for wood or not ? Excuse me if my questions are obvious but this will be my first diy guitar :D

Thank you again.

Julián

Thanks you for your help !

Westhemann : I´ll try to find thin screws but the originals only have 2.5 mm diameter, I think that would be difficult. What do you think if I use the original screws for metal and put a small piece of metal with thread in the guitar body ? Could work fine ?

Hector : I´ve made my first draw of the pickup template, this weekend I´ll make it with MDF. You´re right it´s fun :D

Biliousfrog : thank you for the link about the spring tubing, the material is PVC or rubber ?

They do make a threaded bushing that seats into wood with the inside threaded for metal scews. The only thing is I don't know if they make them that small. If you can find them that small, great. I would absolutely try them. But the problem you'll probably run into is that the screw will try to thread into the pickup and the insert at the same time and will bottom out on one of them before the other and you'll only get limited adjustment. So you are probably better trying to find the smaller wood screws.

I had this problem direct- mounting emgs to the body. I took the pickups to the drill press and opened the holes very slightly so that the wood screws I had would slide in tightly and mount to body. Needless to say, the pups will not be able to go back into rings, but you only live once!

One place that I found helpful with strange screws, nuts, and bolts was a hobby shop. I believe someone mentioned the idea to me on this site a year ago or so and I was able to find a number of screw sizes and thread sizes that I could not find at any hardware stores. Trust me I walked up and down so many isles, for hours at all the local hardware shops, even had the employees reading through their inventory for thread counts and such and could not find what I needed. For the application I needed, the thickness of the screw I could find, but the thread count was nowhere to be found. The threading was extremely tight and uncommon(at least uncommon in that size screw). I found a hobby store, brought the pickup and found exactly what I needed fairly quickly. It is the type of stores that have RC cars and RC planes and that stuff. If you have any further hardware that you cannot find, check out the local hobby shop. Good luck. I'm glad I read this post, even though I am making my own mounting rings for my current build(curly maple/jatoba/curly maple), I will likely build a guitar without them in the future and that is one less problem that I need to research now, so thanks for your problems and everyones help, lol. J

I surface mount quite often and use these E-Z LoK in their #4-40 thread. I slightly enlarge the pickups mounting holes and use Strat intonation screws which are the same thread.

This way of mounting was quite common over the 80's with people like Hamer and Charvel.

Jem

Oh, and if someone's got some of these lying around i've only got 4pcs left and i can't find them in the UK and no US company is willing to sell and ship me just 20-30pcs.

I surface mount quite often and use these E-Z LoK in their #4-40 thread. I slightly enlarge the pickups mounting holes and use Strat intonation screws which are the same thread.

This way of mounting was quite common over the 80's with people like Hamer and Charvel.

Jem

Oh, and if someone's got some of these lying around i've only got 4pcs left and i can't find them in the UK and no US company is willing to sell and ship me just 20-30pcs.

Have you checked with www.rockler.com or www.woodworkersupply.com ? I'm sure one of them has these and will ship to you. I'd be surprised if they didn't.