My First Design (electric)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally say this about rough sketches of guitars, but I like the design. However, I'd highly recommend you draw the whole thing out to 1:1 scale, hardware and all. You'll find that it may not look exactly the same when you sketch it to scale, as neck lengths, and various distances will have to change.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

I agree, that looks like it will be a beautiful guitar if you execute it like the sketch. Got any plans as far as wood and hardware and whatnot? And of course, what Russ said, draw it out full sized. That should be your next step. If this is your first build it could take weeks to get all the measurements you need, etc, etc. That should keep you occupied. :D

Ok, I updated the body design a bit and cleaned up the electronics and neck.... I think the asymmetrical design still has a nice feel to it, but this one is more symmetrical in the "butt" of the body...

mikevirokguitar2.jpg

mikevirokguitar3.jpg

As far as woods, I am open to anything. If it goes the hollow-body design path, I'll have to do some more research on the right tone-woods. I was aiming for a nice flat response to that of swamp-ash or ash, but I would not discount an exotic wood ... I thought about a walnut body with a maple neck (think of the Rickenbacker Dakota series). Either body wood choice I go will most likely have a maple neck (flamed if possible).

Electronics will be that of a swamp ash special from PRS (my favorite guitar in the arsenal today is the SAS, so I'm working off of that in combination with the vintage flare of a McCarty).

The course that I am attending this summer will go over scaling designs and those technical aspects. Right now, Im just sketching around...

Edited by mikevirok

Big fan of the assymetrical version. Reminds me a bit of Scott French's stuff, but yours has a thick upper bout instead of a thin horn.

I haven't looked at the Duncan single-coil sized pickups in a while, but that vintage rails looks great!

Greg

I'm going to throw in my vote for the asymmetry, as well, but I might thin the top horn just a tad. Otherwise I really really like it, the F-holes work well with the more angular horns :D

Hmm... Know what? I might like the top one more, hahahaha. My gut instinct said the bottom one, but the "pointy butt" one has grown on me.

Bah, screw it, go with the top one :D Those controls seem a bit spread out, though, don't they? I'm sure with a bit of planning, you could get them to follow the curve of the guitar body below the F-hole. To my eye, it would look more controlled, not to mention easier to wire.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Oh, don't get me wrong: I will build the design that is right for "me". I was merely curious as to what others thought of the two designs all together. Kind of double checking my creative process. It's the art-school "critique" tendency creeping out I guess.

Photoshop works quite well for scaling up the body.

Illustrator would be way better.

Disagree...Illustrator is great for generating a shape using bezier curves, but for getting it scaled properly to actually build a guitar off of, nothing could be easier than using a raster image. 300 = 1". Piece of cake. Now he could scan the drawing, import to illustrator, and then create the bezier curves over the top of it to give it a good clean outline, then import to photoshop for scaling. That's what I would do. But in my post I was only referring to the 'scaling' aspect of things, not the 'design' aspect.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but I prefer using this method. You have a lot more options for rendering a finished drawing in photoshop. Some people might not care about that, but for me using textures and component images from the net is a quick and easy way to get an idea of how various woods, finishes, and components work together visually. Easy way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Plus, i'm not a big fan of the scale tool in illustrator. I like photoshops handling of layers better as well. I find it more intuitive, but those may just be a bias from using photoshop more.

Anyway, back to the guitar. I say go with your gut, but I like the first version.

Edited by mattharris75

I've never used Solidworks, but I hear good things about it. I personally like Solid Edge, at least for solids. For surfaces it really sucks...But it's what I have access to. If you've ever used Pro/E you would be grateful just to have Solid Edge. :D In spite of its power, Pro/E is a PITA to use. I like being able to whip out a drawing quickly like I can with Solid Edge.

Photoshop works quite well for scaling up the body.

Illustrator would be way better.

Disagree...Illustrator is great for generating a shape using bezier curves, but for getting it scaled properly to actually build a guitar off of, nothing could be easier than using a raster image. 300 = 1". Piece of cake. Now he could scan the drawing, import to illustrator, and then create the bezier curves over the top of it to give it a good clean outline, then import to photoshop for scaling. That's what I would do. But in my post I was only referring to the 'scaling' aspect of things, not the 'design' aspect.

¨

I must still disagree, for scaling vector-based wins hands down. The beauty of vector-based graphics is that you can scale them all you want without loosing quality, with photoshop you'll end up with a blurry image.