I was wondering if a Maccassar Ebony neck would work. I was looking for woods on a site and came across this ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5167 ) and it had a 1" x 3" x 24" blank of maccassar ebony (just a little short but not a problem) at a relatively affordable price. I know ebony is an very dense wood and probably would not produce a very good tone. The grade may not be as good but i'm willing to try it. It would look cool and i'm thinking that if i can install the trussrod from the back i could probably use the neck as the fingerboard too. Would it be a wise choice to make the neck out of ebony despite it's tone, would it hold up good?

Tone may be fine (macassar's not the 'tone sucker', ie higher damping, most black ebony is; more resonant), but it will be very, very heavy. I only know of one maker who does ebony necks, and that's on classicals (google Boaz Elkyam...something like that anyway), and I seem to recall they're actually hollowed partly to deal with the weight.

Density does not mean poor tone, mind; lots of folks really dig rosewood necks, for example, and I'm going to be trying one or two (or three) in future myself.

I was wondering if a Maccassar Ebony neck would work. I was looking for woods on a site and came across this ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5167 ) and it had a 1" x 3" x 24" blank of maccassar ebony (just a little short but not a problem) at a relatively affordable price. I know ebony is an very dense wood and probably would not produce a very good tone. The grade may not be as good but i'm willing to try it. It would look cool and i'm thinking that if i can install the trussrod from the back i could probably use the neck as the fingerboard too. Would it be a wise choice to make the neck out of ebony despite it's tone, would it hold up good?

When I read your questions like this I wonder what your motivation is. Ebony necks are built and used. I hope you are looking at what you want(from the guitar) and not so much just grasping at whatever you see available.

Ebony will be heavy, and stiff. It will be tuffer on tools and harder to work with. It will not need a finish, and can be taken to a high polish. Madagascar or Gaboon,Nigerian(african) Ebonies tend to be a little more brittle and more effected by changes in humidity. Macassar Ebony may have better stabilty in this application. It should be as durable(likely more) as most other commonly used neck woods. Doing a one piece neck vs neck and fretboard is an option, but will not be easier. As far as tone it is impossible to be specific as to what you will hear(I don't know what you are building or building the rest of the guitar with). Although Macassar Ebony is a dense, and stiff wood. It is a well balanced wood(good stiffness to weight ratio) in these properties allowing it to ring well. This kind of stiff heavy neck is not likely to yeild to string movement easily, and that may or may not be good depending on what you want from the neck. This will also be a factor to consider with the body wood you choose(as the neck and body will work to together as a unit).

You could have good results or very poor. The more experience or reference material(other guitars that use these combinations in similar designs) you have the better your chances of having good results. Given you are asking the question about this wood, and that it is used on a very limited basis by other builders. The odds will be stacked against you. I suggest you do as much research as you possibly can on your own to gain insights and try to improve your odds, and I would start sharpening your tools.

Peace,Rich

P.S. If this is for an acoustic. Don't forget about your heel block, if you use a little billet like the one you mentioned you will not have enough material for a heel.

This sounds like something i might want to try out.

I'll probably attempt a two piece neck (neck and fingerboard)

I could just leave it unfinished kind of like the LP Studio w/o the finish cause it feels nice.

I'll probably put in a curly maple laminate in the center

as for the body wood i'm a little confused.

Ebony would probably give it a sort of darker tone i would imagine (right?)

If it has a darker stiff tone would i go with a darker sounding wood like walnut or a bright one like maple?

This sounds like something i might want to try out.

I'll probably attempt a two piece neck (neck and fingerboard)

I could just leave it unfinished kind of like the LP Studio w/o the finish cause it feels nice.

I'll probably put in a curly maple laminate in the center

as for the body wood i'm a little confused.

Ebony would probably give it a sort of darker tone i would imagine (right?)

If it has a darker stiff tone would i go with a darker sounding wood like walnut or a bright one like maple?

Oh my :D

I have no idea whatsoever as to what you are describing.